Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We as a country look at HS as just some thing we all have to show up to and eventually graduate from, but there’s no real purpose for many students.

You either need to be truly prepared for college level courses (and probably have some college credits under your belt) or ready to work a “real” job and make a livable income.

In this forum, it might cause a bit of an uproar (and having been a HS PA announcer for a dozen + years, it goes against much of what I'm involved with after school (announcing football grades 7-12, along with boys and girls soccer, and previously volleyball)...but I think the whole model could be changed if we were able to uncouple HS athletics from the school setting.  Sure, there is the comraderie and discipline buit through working as part of a team, but if we reduced the impact of these types of programs on the school setting, establishing the types of schools that would help to train people for a multitude of activities in our society might be more achievable.  Lots of other countries have survived with club sports, rather than the tether between school and athletics.

I know, not a very popular idea, but if the goal is having a strong, well trained workforce going forward, maybe it isn't too horrible an idea.   

Edited by Bucketheadsdad
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

None of that stuff though is truly a benefit.

As someone who works in healthcare which is 24/7/365, I assure you they are lol.

I had a cousin tell my wife one time that teachers didnt deserve to be paid more because 'they have half of the year off' and I thought I was going to witness a homicide.

I mean, nursing has jobs with similar hours.  They pay ****. Because everyone wants those hours.

From what I have seen, they have all of those holidays, breaks, ect--but they also work 50+ hour work weeks. Students arnt the only ones with homework after coming home from your 8 hour shift. Today for example, she has to stay at work from 7:30am-6:30pm because its 'meet the teacher' night. Then, there are in-home visits for every student she has to do during the year, meaning she works 8 hours and then every day for 2 weeks she has to go over to her students homes for 2-3 hours during dinner time and give parents roadmaps/progress reports. Those are 10 hour days for 2 weeks.

So while it might seem like they have a cushy schedule, it is just deserved time off from essentially working time and a half for 8 months out of the year--and they get paid so little, that most of them have 2nd jobs during summer/winter breaks (like our pet store). 

I mean, I’m acknowledging they’re underpaid, significantly.  I’m also not saying they don’t work hard. 

That said, the other things I noted about their schedules are true by and large. Not every teacher is doing in-home visits or working 12 hours per day.  Some even post here at work.

not that there's anything wrong with that seinfeld GIF by myLAB Box

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

In this forum, it might cause a bit of an uproar (and having been a HS PA announcer for a dozen + years, it goes against much of what I'm involved with after school (announcing football grades 7-12, along with boys and girls soccer, and previously volleyball)...but I think the whole model could be changed if we were able to uncouple HS athletics from the school setting.  Sure, there is the comraderie and discipline buit through working as part of a team, but if we reduced the impact of these types of programs on the school setting, establishing the types of schools that would help to train people for a multitude of activities in our society might be more achievable.  Lots of other countries have survived with club sports, rather than the tether between school and athletics.

I know, not a very popular idea, but if the goal is having a strong, well trained workforce going forward, maybe it isn't too horrible an idea.   

I’m with you.  I like sports as much as anyone, but we as a society place way too much emphasis on high school athletics.

Theyre all well and good, but they’re not why we’re sending kids to school.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Here in my county, kids can go to trade or STEM schools, even home school, and still play sports.

I don’t know why that can’t continue, but agreed yes it’s way too high of a priority.

• Like 2

We literally just gave Ukraine 40 Billion dollars in aid, no questions asked in the blink of an eye lol

*Insert selective government applications for blank checks here*

The refusing to invest in our own younger generations while playing world police (for right and wrong) and giving trillions to other countries, most of whom hate us, is something else and going to be part of the downfall of this country.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Insert selective government applications for blank checks here*

The refusing to invest in our own younger generations while playing world police (for right and wrong) and giving trillions to other countries, most of whom hate us, is something else and going to be part of the downfall of this country.

Which is why I wont hear the whole 'its just too big of a task for somebody in a 4 year term to undertake' garbage.

We literally got peer pressured into giving another country 40B but the government putting 10% of that into its own country, youth and workforce is apparently just impossible.

We rank 27th in the world in education and healthcare

Edited by AkronsWitness

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Which is why I wont hear the whole 'its just too big of a task for somebody in a 4 year term to undertake' garbage.

We literally got peer pressured into giving another country 40B but the government putting 10% of that into its own country, youth and workforce is apparently just impossible.

We rank 18th in the world in education for a reason.

It’s not JUST the money, it’s that there’s zero accountability for parents and students. Start making kids who don’t take it seriously become apprentices and not going onto HS/college and we will see who values it and does something with it, and it’ll help clarify the job market too. That’s what those other 17 countries do.

Let’s stop holding back the majority of kids and parents for the sake of a few outliers. Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

It’s not JUST the money, it’s that there’s zero accountability for parents and students. Start making kids who don’t take it seriously become apprentices and not going onto HS/college and we will see who values it and does something with it, and it’ll help clarify the job market too. That’s what those other 17 countries do.

Let’s stop holding back the majority of kids and parents for the sake of a few outliers. Just my opinion.

Oh I agree 100% with the parents involvement too. Hearing some of the things these parents say and ask about their kids is embarrassing. They have no idea what they are learning in school, no idea what they need to send their kids to school with and forget regularly to buy them school supplies  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Oh I agree 100% with the parents involvement too. Hearing some of the things these parents say and ask about their kids is embarrassing. They have no idea what they are learning in school, no idea what they need to send their kids to school with and forget regularly to buy them school supplies  

And those parents are a dream compared to “my kid would never” and “why are you bulling my kid?!?!” parents because you’re actually holding them accountable. Quality stuff here. 

• Like 1