Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

5 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This guy is the modern day Oppenheimer:

“I console myself with the normal excuse: If I hadn’t done it, somebody else would have,” said Hinton, who had been employed by Google for more than a decade. “It is hard to see how you can prevent the bad actors from using it for bad things.”

”The idea that this stuff could actually get smarter than people — a few people believed that,” said Hinton to the NYT. “But most people thought it was way off. And I thought it was way off. I thought it was 30 to 50 years or even longer away. Obviously, I no longer think that.”

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/1/23706311/hinton-godfather-of-ai-threats-fears-warnings

Now explain who Oppenheimer is to these goobers,

On a side note, if you ever get to New Mexico there’s a really cool museum with a lot related stuff.

https://www.lanl.gov/museum/

Was here in 2019, very cool.

And yes, I’ll save some 🐱 for the rest of you lol 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This guy is the modern day Oppenheimer:

“I console myself with the normal excuse: If I hadn’t done it, somebody else would have,” said Hinton, who had been employed by Google for more than a decade. “It is hard to see how you can prevent the bad actors from using it for bad things.”

”The idea that this stuff could actually get smarter than people — a few people believed that,” said Hinton to the NYT. “But most people thought it was way off. And I thought it was way off. I thought it was 30 to 50 years or even longer away. Obviously, I no longer think that.”

https://www.theverge.com/2023/5/1/23706311/hinton-godfather-of-ai-threats-fears-warnings

Just nailed a kid who generated an 8 page research paper entirely with AI for my college course I teach. Thankfully at least some of the software for plagiarism is catching up, but this stuff is off the chain.

• Like 1

Last night, I was able to convince 60 Minutes to do a feature on the lone American playing in the Australian Football League. 😜  (OK....they didn't mention Dani Marshall who is in her 4th year in the AFLW with the Essendon Bombers, or Peggy O'Neal, who was the President of the Richmond Tigers Football Club for many years, including their most recent premiership years (2017, 2019 and 2020).  It was a great look at Mason Cox's journey to Australia, and an introduction to the game.  Thought you might find this interesting.

Edited by Bucketheadsdad

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Just nailed a kid who generated an 8 page research paper entirely with AI for my college course I teach. Thankfully at least some of the software for plagiarism is catching up, but this stuff is off the chain.

I haven't encountered that yet, but turnitin.com is awesome for many of the assignments that I assign.

Good on ya!  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I haven't encountered that yet, but turnitin.com is awesome for many of the assignments that I assign.

Good on ya!  

TurnItIn is exactly how I nailed him! It has a new AI feature in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Click on it and it highlights literally everything AI Generated.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

TurnItIn is exactly how I nailed him! It has a new AI feature in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Click on it and it highlights literally everything AI Generated.

That means that kid was lazy AF

You’re supposed to let AI make your paper, change some of words and structure, and then add grammar mistakes. Make it look like a B grade paper.

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

That means that kid was lazy AF

Correct

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

You’re supposed to let AI make your paper, change some of words and structure, and then add grammar mistakes. Make it look like a B grade paper.

Thankfully it will flag a good portion of every other thing he didn't change. For example, another kid only used it on 1% of his paper, which was his intro sentence. I dinged him 5% and reminded him that I can see it and to be careful. I'm more of a "spirit of the law" guy personally.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Correct

Thankfully it will flag a good portion of every other thing he didn't change. For example, another kid only used it on 1% of his paper, which was his intro sentence. I dinged him 5% and reminded him that I can see it and to be careful. I'm more of a "spirit of the law" guy personally.

Aren’t those AI detectors wrong a lot?

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

For example, another kid only used it on 1% of his paper, which was his intro sentence.

Now see, this makes me question the software detection software.

There’s been millions of papers written. I’m going to guess a lot of papers have similar first sentences or pretty damn close.

• Like 1

Just now, candyman93 said:

There’s been millions of papers written. I’m going to guess a lot of papers have similar first sentences or pretty damn close.

Yep.  Not saying the kid did or didn’t do anything, but who uses AI for only an opening line?

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Aren’t those AI detectors wrong a lot?

Not sure but thankfully he totally admitted to it

Like I said, I think we're all still in the infancy stages of it

It was a compound sentence/phrasing. The trick is to exude confidence when confronting a student by saying something like "Can you explain why you felt the need to..." and seeing their reaction. Works 90% of the time.

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Either way, looks like we’re gonna have to circle back around to good old pencil and paper if you want to eliminate AI.

The amount of teachers I know who personally have done this is shockingly and predictably high if that makes sense.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.  Not saying the kid did or didn’t do anything, but who uses AI for only an opening line?

Perhaps it was more. For a paper like this where you want a narrative hook/solid thesis, it's not out of the question for a history paper as opposed to an English one, for example.

• Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Not sure but thankfully he totally admitted to it

Like I said, I think we're all still in the infancy stages of it

It was a compound sentence/phrasing. The trick is to exude confidence when confronting a student by saying something like "Can you explain why you felt the need to..." and seeing their reaction. Works 90% of the time.

Pretty soon kids are gonna know their teachers aren’t certain and will poker face that ish.

Schools are gonna have a real issue on their hands tbh.  How do you ding someone for something you can’t PROVE and they deny?  Even if the phrasing is the same, with all of the papers written it’s bound to happen.

Pretty soon kids are gonna know their teachers aren’t certain and will poker face that ish.

100%

Schools are gonna have a real issue on their hands tbh.

100%, already do.

How do you ding someone for something you can’t PROVE and they deny?  Even if the phrasing is the same, with all of the papers written it’s bound to happen.

Zero clue...I would imagine you start with kid gloves and let that kid rewrite it...or else you make them do it in front of you and don't let them work on it outside of class (this can't possibly be used in college), or you go back to old school paper and pencil while still running the risk of them using this and then rewriting it anyway.