Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

15 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Just broke our basketball hoop pole in half dunking while it was we to 7 and a half feet

my youngest is devastated I ruined his hooping 

any of you have experience in getting a pole and concrete out of the ground?  How much of a hassle am I getting myself into?

Nah usually when I dunk I just shatter the backboard 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Just broke our basketball hoop pole in half dunking while it was we to 7 and a half feet

my youngest is devastated I ruined his hooping 

any of you have experience in getting a pole and concrete out of the ground?  How much of a hassle am I getting myself into?

Is the hoop anchored into the concrete with bolts? An impact/drill with a socket size to fit would make easy removal. Would just recommend having another set of hands to stabilize the hoop when you remove the bolts. 

1 minute ago, malibuspeedrace said:

No, the post is fully embedded or sleeved possibly

That’s a really weird way to put a basketball hoop in.
To answer your question, you will obviously want a rotary hammer drill. So I don’t think it’s going to be difficult to do if you have the right equipment to break up the concrete. If you don’t have a rotary hammer, it would be a few hundred dollar purchase, but also would probably cost less than paying somebody to do the job, and you would get to keep the tool.

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Tbh if the hoop is done for anyways, I would take a reciprocating saw and cut out what you can before tearing up the concrete so the hoop doesn’t fall and destroy you when you break up the concrete.

It was all rusted so the pole completely broke around 6 ft up.

So the hoop and a portion of pole are laying down….the remaining 6ft is just standing there.

if it was a foot or 2 taller, it could be used for tetherball 😂

I actually am now kicking around the idea of keeping the pole, getting a portable hoop, and zip tying or chaining it to the pole, so wind won’t knock it over

Edited by malibuspeedrace

2 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

So the hoop and a portion of pole are laying down….the remaining 6ft is just standing there.

I actually am now kicking around the idea of keeping the pole, getting a portable hoop, and zip tying or chaining it to the pole, so wind won’t knock it over

Yeah, I guess that’s one way to do it :/

A simple reciprocating saw would easily cut out however much of the pole you’d want at any point though. If you didn’t care about the concrete and a little stub at the bottom of it, you could always do that and then if you wanted, you could throw some dirt on top of that to cover it up, etc. if you don’t want to go to the jackhammer route and break up the concrete. There are easy hillbilly solutions to this. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Cut it off low, cover it with dirt and make it close to level and tamp it down. Do it a couple times and then a few rake lines with grass seed is a great and cheap solution.

Man I guess you might want to chip it out with the hammer drill and a chisel. But if it’s a small amount of concrete you can dig around it and probably get it out that way. 

Either way is going to be a pain 

Also way to go Shaq

Los Angeles Lakers Basketball GIF by NBA

• Like 2