Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

7 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just bought a new home and have been dying to get a new 3 burner Weber grill since we went with a cheapo Charbroil grill 4 year ago at our last home. Somebody want to explain to me why Weber grills are $650 right now. $650! for a grill?!

I swear last time we looked they were  $350-400. Is it just the time of the year with Spring approaching or what.

I have a pretty decent Weber grill that you can have for free.  It is in great shape, has a side burner as well.  Haven't used it in a few years.  (Never was much of a "grill" guy, but we got it as part of a promotional thing a while back when my wife was really into couponing.  It was something that we got with "Marlboro miles", although neither of us smoke.  Grill, 2 25 gallon coolers, a five speaker stereo, and a bunch of other stuff.  (Being serious.....if you are anywhere around Sandusky, it is yours for the taking....and I won't even make you take the piano I'm trying to get rid of as well.)

This is the one I have.  https://pin.it/232St6p

15 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I have a pretty decent Weber grill that you can have for free.  It is in great shape, has a side burner as well.  Haven't used it in a few years.  (Never was much of a "grill" guy, but we got it as part of a promotional thing a while back when my wife was really into couponing.  It was something that we got with "Marlboro miles", although neither of us smoke.  Grill, 2 25 gallon coolers, a five speaker stereo, and a bunch of other stuff.  (Being serious.....if you are anywhere around Sandusky, it is yours for the taking....and I won't even make you take the piano I'm trying to get rid of as well.)

This is the one I have.  https://pin.it/232St6p

That thing look pretty sweet! Unfortunately I am nowhere near Sandusky anymore but really appreciate the offer 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

That thing look pretty sweet! Unfortunately I am nowhere near Sandusky anymore but really appreciate the offer 

Good thing because he was planning on kidnapping you and holding you hostage in his basement while he tries to convert you to a Aussie rules football fan.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Good thing because he was planning on kidnapping you and holding you hostage in his basement while he tries to convert you to a Aussie rules football fan.

Nah....my basement is too crowded at the moment.  Now I'm putting my "kidnapees" in the garage.  :) 

....but Rd 1 begins on Thursday morning and there are 3 games on FS2 this week.  https://www.afana.com/tvsched

https://youtu.be/VF7oSCsmJgY

Edited by Bucketheadsdad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Just bought a new home and have been dying to get a new 3 burner Weber grill since we went with a cheapo Charbroil grill 4 year ago at our last home. Somebody want to explain to me why Weber grills are $650 right now. $650! for a grill?!

I swear last time we looked they were  $350-400. Is it just the time of the year with Spring approaching or what.

Get yourself a charcoal kamado AKORN for $350 at Mennards, smoking kamado stone is $30. You’re welcome in advance.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Get yourself a charcoal kamado AKORN for $350 at Mennards, smoking kamado stone is $30. You’re welcome in advance.

I wish I had more time for charcoal tbh but with the babies only being awake after school from 4:40-6:30 before bed I need the 'immediateness' of propane.

I was looking at Nexgrill stuff that is in that $350 range but the grates look horrible. That was the problem with the cheap Charbroil grill I bought years ago too. The gaps between the grates were wide so a lot of food, juices, seasoning, ect would fall down and then promptly catch on fire the next time I grilled--making it impossible to regulate consistent temp.

I hate it, but I might have to just suck it up and buy the $650 Weber or pray to god a spring sale happens and they come down to $400 again.

Edit: Ahhhh I knew I wasnt crazy. https://www.gearpatrol.com/deals/a36039678/weber-grills-price-increase-april-2021/

Edited by AkronsWitness

26 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I wish I had more time for charcoal tbh but with the babies only being awake after school from 4:40-6:30 before bed I need the 'immediateness' of propane.

I was looking at Nexgrill stuff that is in that $350 range but the grates look horrible. That was the problem with the cheap Charbroil grill I bought years ago too. The gaps between the grates were wide so a lot of food, juices, seasoning, ect would fall down and then promptly catch on fire the next time I grilled--making it impossible to regulate consistent temp.

I hate it, but I might have to just suck it up and buy the $650 Weber or pray to god a spring sale happens and they come down to $400 again.

Edit: Ahhhh I knew I wasnt crazy. https://www.gearpatrol.com/deals/a36039678/weber-grills-price-increase-april-2021/

I’ve had a nexgrill for 3 years. The grates are pretty wide. I’ve burnt a few burgers and chicken from excessive fire. But if you watch what you’re doing and clean up after it does the job. Imo those big names like Weber or trager are pretty overrated if you’re just doing regular grilling for your family. 

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’ve had a nexgrill for 3 years. The grates are pretty wide. I’ve burnt a few burgers and chicken from excessive fire. But if you watch what you’re doing and clean up after it does the job. Imo those big names like Weber or trager are pretty overrated if you’re just doing regular grilling for your family. 

Yep apparently its a common theme on those type of grills. I once put down $90 worth of NY Strip steaks on the grill last summer. Flipped them once after 3min, went inside to grab plates for :30 seconds, when I came back out the grill was up in flames. Burnt and ruined close to a hundred dollars of steak for us and a guest we have over.

I was soooooo mad that I told myself I am getting a Weber grill the next time we moved....and now they went up $200

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yep apparently its a common theme on those type of grills. I once put down $90 worth of NY Strip steaks on the grill last summer. Flipped them once after 3min, went inside to grab plates for :30 seconds, when I came back out the grill was up in flames. Burnt and ruined close to a hundred dollars of steak for us and a guest we have over.

I was soooooo mad that I told myself I am getting a Weber grill the next time we moved....and now they went up $200

Think of it like this, 6 steak dinners and the new grill will have paid for itself.

• Like 2

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/local-news/columbus/ohio-teachers-retirement-fund-holds-shares-in-failed-bank/

I bring you the least surprising headline of all time.

According to disclosures obtained by NBC 4, as of December, STRS owned 171,000 shares of SVB with a value of more than $39 million.

STRS has been under fire for months for what retirees said is a lack of investment transparency, as well as paying out $10 million in bonuses even as the retirement fund itself lost billions.

Ohio's lack of transparency with STRS is absolutely infuriating. 

“Every single teacher pension fund manager should have had a statement out today, saying, ‘Here’s what our exposure was, here’s what kind of losses we think we might suffer,’” said Randazzo. “But that certainly hasn’t happened everywhere.” 

In a statement, a spokesperson for State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio said, “We’re continuing to monitor and assess the impact of these developments on the financial system.” However, a search conducted by K-12 Dive of Ohio STRS’ website and websites of other teacher or school employee retirement systems suggests these institutions don’t share easily accessible information about their specific holdings. 

Texas Teachers Retirement System, another public pension fund that held shares of SVB Financial, refused to comment and said it doesn’t plan to in the future.

If you want to see a fantastic game, find today's Collingwood/Geelong game. Lots of hitting, great marks (catches), broken limbs 😞 and some very accurate goal kicking.

You'll thank me. :)

Ended about 90 minutes ago, and it was an awesome contest.  A heavyweight bout.  If you've ever been "footy curious", this would be a great one to check out.

Edited by Bucketheadsdad
  • Like 2

On 3/14/2023 at 11:54 AM, Bucketheadsdad said:

Nah....my basement is too crowded at the moment.  Now I'm putting my "kidnapees" in the garage.  :) 

....but Rd 1 begins on Thursday morning and there are 3 games on FS2 this week.  https://www.afana.com/tvsched

https://youtu.be/VF7oSCsmJgY

In case anyone might be interested, the 5th ep. in my series on why NFL fans would love the AFL just came out.  I chatted with Aussie NFL fan, Thomas McMillan of the "Any Given Sunday" podcast/youtube channel.  The 6th ep will be out next week...a chat with Darren Bennett, former Melbourne Demon and NFL all-decade (1990's) punter/Chargers Hall of Famer.  An absolute gentleman.   Six games on FS1/FS2 this week.