Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

Just now, MWil23 said:

100%

100%, already do.

Zero clue...I would imagine you start with kid gloves and let that kid rewrite it...or else you make them do it in front of you and don't let them work on it outside of class (this can't possibly be used in college), or you go back to old school paper and pencil while still running the risk of them using this and then rewriting it anyway.

“I’m not rewriting or redoing anything because of your baseless suspicion.”  

“my kid is not going to be redoing work because you have hunch.  I want to talk to the superintendent.”  

That’s the next step from there and neither of those are unreasonable tbh.  I’m not rewriting an entire paper for no reason.

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

“I’m not rewriting or redoing anything because of your baseless suspicion.”

Stare Dave GIF by Derek Tee

“my kid is not going to be redoing work because you have hunch.  I want to talk to the superintendent.”  

Stare Dave GIF by Derek Tee

That’s the next step from there and neither of those are unreasonable tbh.  I’m not rewriting an entire paper for no reason.

Colleges will absolutely crackdown and they'll tell those cheaters to go kick rocks...plus eventually AI software will 100% catch up. Those AI generated papers will be stored electronically in some capacity and the software will have record of when/where it was generated just like anything else.

Until then though, yeah you're spot on.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

TurnItIn is exactly how I nailed him! It has a new AI feature in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. Click on it and it highlights literally everything AI Generated.

Im not sure about Microsoft Word cause I havent used it in years. Could you just make students submit papers through google documents and they have to make you a shared partner?  In that way, you can at least see their revisionist work or through that way, if you suspect AI, you can ask to see their revisions. There is absolutely no way they could fake that aspect potentially.

4 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Im not sure about Microsoft Word cause I havent used it in years. Could you just make students submit papers through google documents and they have to make you a shared partner?  In that way, you can at least see their revisionist work or through that way, if you suspect AI, you can ask to see their revisions. There is absolutely no way they could fake that aspect potentially.

Unfortunately no. Submissions must be converted to a PDF or docx before submission.

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Give it a few months and you’ll start hearing murmurs of Huntington Bank being in trouble 

Just before you hear about 20-30 members of Congress dumping stock at a huge profit

• Like 2

On 5/1/2023 at 7:14 PM, MWil23 said:

Unfortunately no. Submissions must be converted to a PDF or docx before submission.

Actually....on Turnitin.com, there is a way that you can do "cut and paste" of an assignment, rather than turning it into a PDF first.  (Won't solve the AI problem, but I've had kids do that when they couldn't get PDF's to upload.

• Like 1

That being said.....I'm more than a little perturbed by this kid who was the original focus of this thread of discussion.  I posted a fantastic link to a 60 MInutes piece from Sunday about the only American playing in the Australian Football League (there is one woman as well, and I've had her on the podcast) and a woman from West Virginia who just stepped down after almost 15 years being the President of one of the clubs (Richmond Tigers).  

The kid is a jerk in my book.  😉

School Teacher GIF by Sesame Street

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And they’ll all do the risky ish that these banks did only then it will be John Q. Public bailing them out.

Again.

Here’s what has led up to this moment in time-

2008 fiscal collapse. I disagree with calling it a recession, that was a “mini” depression. That impacted the world in ways most probably still don’t fully grasp. However, I’ll try to explain the direct path.

2008 collapse ->

Bailouts and the FED nuked rates to 0 ->

FED kept rates extremely low for a long time because it helps increase business growth. No president wanted to be left holding the poop bag of discouraging business growth ->

When rates are low, it makes buying bonds very attractive, which is what props up certain regional banks ->

COVID happens ->

Inflation skyrockets like a mofo ->

The FED has only 1 tool to combat inflation, which is raise rates. Powell has said numerous times he has way more tools to help “save” banks, but none to stop runaway inflation. ->

Bonds quickly become worse assets for banks to hold on to ->

People realize their bank doesn’t have any “real” money and panic ->

Chaos

Edited by candyman93
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

Actually....on Turnitin.com, there is a way that you can do "cut and paste" of an assignment, rather than turning it into a PDF first.  (Won't solve the AI problem, but I've had kids do that when they couldn't get PDF's to upload.

We utilize the ELearn platform but can activate the TurnItIn software, so the submission is converted before running it through that if that makes sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

If anybody is looking for a catastrophic bubble about to explode- It’s commercial real estate.

I saw that writing on the wall with Covid when brick and mortar became antiquated with WFH. Not surprised one bit. Zoning will have some decisions to make going forward on residential vs industrial vs commercial.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MWil23 said:

We utilize the ELearn platform but can activate the TurnItIn software, so the submission is converted before running it through that if that makes sense.

It does.  We are using Canvas.  The kids have the option on how they want to upload their assignments.

• Like 1