Currently Active Hall of Famers

mse326

I feel like starting this earlier than our normal offseason because why not. Try to keep it in the following  sections to help debate. And since we are doing percentages keep the voters in mind.

1. Definite Hall of Famers (Already in with what they've done)
2. Probably Hall of Famers (These are for players that already have 50% or greater even if retire tomorrow)
3. Possible Hall of Famers (These are for those that already have qualificatoins that make it 25-50% of getting in)

Here is my list
Definite
Albert Pujols
Ichiro
Miguel Cabrera
Clayton Kershaw
Justin Verlander

Probable
Adrian Beltre - Only because of what we've seen from voters, I think he should be definite
Mike Trout - Basically I see the small possibility that enough voters would say too short a career if he retired tomorrow, but if he isn't in then we should all be done with this
Carlos Beltran
Robinson Cano
Joe Mauer
Max Scherzer

Possible
David Wright
Joey Votto
Chase Utley
Zach Greinke
Buster Posey

There are a lot of really great younger guys that look on the right track, but I was doing this based on what if he retried tomorrow.

58 minutes ago, Viewsfromthe206 said:

I'd put Votto and Greinke in probable. I can't think of any others right now. But as you said, all the others are young and a long way to go. 

Any ideas on current Execs/Managers that may get in?

Theo definitely. Friedman if the Dodgers win a world series is probable, 2 is definite. Dombroski I think has a decent chance too.

Coaches I think Maddon is in

No one else jumps out to me, but I could be missing someone.

1 minute ago, playmaker8267 said:

Terry Francona will be a Hall of Famer. Francisco Rodriguez I think has an outside chance, too. 4th all time in saves, a World Series ring, and the single season saves record.

Votto should be in the probable category.

Completely forgot Francona, good call.

With the way the media trashes him for taking too many walks and not getting RBIs I can't say I think he has a 50% chance of getting in even if he deserves it.

4 minutes ago, biggio7 said:

I think Bochy has a shot as well.

Votto may wind up with the right numbers to get in. I would put Posey in the probable. I really doubt on David Wright unless he truly comes back and just row akes.

I was going to mention Bochy. I don't know how he doesn't get in, unless they are going to hit him very hard for his overall winning percentage (which is a right around .500). He'll pass sweet Lou for 14th in all time wins this year, and would move into 11th next year. Plus 3 world series rings, another appearance. I think he's a safe bet to eventually get there. 

Not sure about Posey in the probable department yet. Depends on what you consider "probable" He needs 4 more years of his typical production (about 5 war, though he won't hit that this year and didn't hit it last year) to make it safe in my opinion. He doesn't have the greatest bulk stats to support himself in an offensive era . That would put him at about 57.5, which would rank him 7th among catchers all time (right now, he's actually behind Jason Kendall, which is kind of weird to think about and say). In truth he could probably get away with three years at that production since he has the MVP, a couple of other top 10 finishes, a rookie of the year and 3 world series rings. His JAWS is a little low, though I'm not sure how big that is in the HOF voting world. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I was going to mention Bochy. I don't know how he doesn't get in, unless they are going to hit him very hard for his overall winning percentage (which is a right around .500). He'll pass sweet Lou for 14th in all time wins this year, and would move into 11th next year. Plus 3 world series rings, another appearance. I think he's a safe bet to eventually get there. 

Not sure about Posey in the probable department yet. Depends on what you consider "probable" He needs 4 more years of his typical production (about 5 war, though he won't hit that this year and didn't hit it last year) to make it safe in my opinion. He doesn't have the greatest bulk stats to support himself in an offensive era . That would put him at about 57.5, which would rank him 7th among catchers all time (right now, he's actually behind Jason Kendall, which is kind of weird to think about and say). In truth he could probably get away with three years at that production since he has the MVP, a couple of other top 10 finishes, a rookie of the year and 3 world series rings. His JAWS is a little low, though I'm not sure how big that is in the HOF voting world. 

QFT on both accounts. Bruce Bochy managed a Giants team that won three World Series in five years. Considering the parity in the game today and also the fact he did it in the NL where the manager has more control over outcomes of games via strategic decisions, that's a pretty unbelievable feat. Posey is borderline probable, he's lacking strictly in the volume department.

Another guy is Brian Cashman. He's probably getting in. He became GM at probably the best time anyone could ever get a promotion, before the 1998 season. Huge payroll or not, getting your team to the playoffs virtually every year in a league where only 4 teams per league/conference get in is pretty impressive. Some guys would find a way to screw it up. If you win five rings over the course of your GM career, especially in a big market, you're most likely getting into the Hall of Fame.

In
Albert Pujols(no brainer)
Miguel Cabrera(great peak)
Adrian Beltre(3000 hits)
Ichiro(obvious)
Clayton Kershaw(long enough peak even if he retired)

50/50
Joe Mauer(14th WAR, almost 2000 hits, average peak)
Chase Utley(11th WAR, great 5 yr peak, close)
Carlos Beltran(similar numbers to Andruw Jones, and he isnt a HOF)
Mike Trout(want to say yes, but only has 6 years)
Justin Verlander(6 great years, other good. close)
Felix Hernandez(great peak like Verlander, injuries make it close)

Meh
Buster Posey(not right now, needs 3-4 years)
Joey Votto(doesnt have bulk numbers, 38th WAR)
Robinson Cano(21st WAR. Needs more numbers)
Evan Longoria(only 31, has a chance with continued success)
Andrew McCutchen(30 yrs old. 44 career WAR)
Zack Greinke(not as many domanant years. a few away)
Max Scherzer(probably 2-3 years away. started late)

No Chance
Yadier Molina(small peak, wont even reach top 30 WAR)
David Wright(careers over, not enough numbers)
Jimmy Rollins(good not great)
CC Sabathia(good, long career)

Archived