Currently Active Hall of Famers

mse326

49 minutes ago, NewAge said:

btw we're not taking PED crap into consideration here right? Because there's a couple guys in the OP with PED umm speculation. 

1. I couldn't care less about PEDs

2. Who are talking about specifically?

2 minutes ago, playmaker8267 said:

Pujols definitely, not sure who beyond that.

I was guessing he meant Pujols and Verlander since Jack Clark accused both of them, but I don't know how much I trust the accusations. I mean it wouldn't surprise me if any player was using, but something about this accusation seemed off. Especially with settlements and everything, if you already decided you want to accuse him publicly, I'm not sure why you wouldn't go the distance. You had to know he'd fight it.

Just for the sake of discussion, what type of longevity would someone like Corey Kluber have to have to be in the discussion?  He's been a top 3-4 pitcher in the league since he entered, but his career started at the age of 27.  I'm just wondering if there's any precedent for someone entering the league so late to make the Hall, and to get into the discussion, how long would he have to keep up this type of production?

40 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Just for the sake of discussion, what type of longevity would someone like Corey Kluber have to have to be in the discussion?  He's been a top 3-4 pitcher in the league since he entered, but his career started at the age of 27.  I'm just wondering if there's any precedent for someone entering the league so late to make the Hall, and to get into the discussion, how long would he have to keep up this type of production?

5 more years of 5 WAR

10 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Trout is a lock

Verlander isn't a lock

Beltre is close to a lock

Chris Sale is starting to be in this convo

What about Bumgarner?

I think it's way too early to know on Madbum. Possible is the best you can hope for. Right now, his career war is 27.7, which is in the 300's. The last three years, he's been between a 4 and a 5. Even if he did that for another 7- 10 years, that would get him into the conversation (there are other HOF pitchers in that range), but at the same time, that range also includes guys like David Cone, Kevin Brown, Mike Mussina, etc. Also,  I feel like that type of production is unreasonable to assume will happen. It doesn't help that someone like Schilling, who has a similar level of postseason dominance and a superior regular season career, isn't in the hall. He hasn't had a cy finish higher than 4th, so I think he definitely needs to grab one of those. 

On 8/21/2017 at 1:41 PM, Forge said:

I think it's way too early to know on Madbum. Possible is the best you can hope for. Right now, his career war is 27.7, which is in the 300's. The last three years, he's been between a 4 and a 5. Even if he did that for another 7- 10 years, that would get him into the conversation (there are other HOF pitchers in that range), but at the same time, that range also includes guys like David Cone, Kevin Brown, Mike Mussina, etc. Also,  I feel like that type of production is unreasonable to assume will happen. It doesn't help that someone like Schilling, who has a similar level of postseason dominance and a superior regular season career, isn't in the hall. He hasn't had a cy finish higher than 4th, so I think he definitely needs to grab one of those. 

You're right about Schilling although I think Bumgarner's post-season success would definitely put him over guys like Musina and Brown if he were to have that kind of longevity. 

I also think the fact that he's got this rivalry with Kershaw and has been notably better in the post-season is going to help him a lot.  It sort of legitimizes him as a hall of fame candidate when he's being compared to the best pitcher of this generation and its favorable. 

15 minutes ago, mission27 said:

You're right about Schilling although I think Bumgarner's post-season success would definitely put him over guys like Musina and Brown if he were to have that kind of longevity. 

I also think the fact that he's got this rivalry with Kershaw and has been notably better in the post-season is going to help him a lot.  It sort of legitimizes him as a hall of fame candidate when he's being compared to the best pitcher of this generation and its favorable. 

But it's favorable to the old school voters, many of whom won't be voting by the time he is on the ballott. The voters will be much more populated with new school analytics writers.

I'm certainly not saying he won't be worthy by the time he retires, though I think he has a lot of work to do and I'd say the odds are against it, but I don't think he'll get that bump by being compared to Kershaw that you are suggesting.

Archived