Currently Active Hall of Famers

mse326

3 hours ago, thelawoffices said:

I don't think people hate Bumgarner the way they do Schilling, so if that's a comp production wise by the end of his career, I could see him getting in. 

Right he is a media darling for whatever reason.

I'll also always be smug AF that I was right about Bumgarner vs. Brian Matusz and B7B/Manster were wrong as always. 

http://www3.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=333083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

The other huge factor is Schillling, Musina, etc. played with four of the top-10 GOAT.  Its hard to ever be considered the best pitcher in baseball or close when your entire career overlaps with Clemens, Unit, Pedro, and Madux. 

Bumgarner is playing in an era with one all time great and then a bunch of really good pitchers and its easy for the sports media to paint him as #2... or even 1b.

4 hours ago, mission27 said:

Right he is a media darling for whatever reason.

I'll also always be smug AF that I was right about Bumgarner vs. Brian Matusz and B7B/Manster were wrong as always. 

http://www3.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=333083&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Holy god...the weirdness at seeing Jesus Montero over Posey lol

12 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

MadBum is the best postseason pitcher ever and he just turned 28 years old. I think he's only behind Kershaw as far as current pitchers go for HOF chances. His bat adds a bit to his legend too. 

I'd put Felix and Verlander ahead of MadBum. 

Baseball has the worst east coast bias of the major sports. MadBum is an all timer already. CC and Verlander are locks too though.  

Goldschmidt if he wins MVP this year could be in that group with Votto and Cano. 

I think Ryan Braun if he finished with 400+ HRs could have a shot if they start letting in PED users. 

On 8/26/2017 at 8:07 PM, 48 1/2ers said:

MadBum is the best postseason pitcher ever and he just turned 28 years old. I think he's only behind Kershaw as far as current pitchers go for HOF chances. His bat adds a bit to his legend too. 

That's stretching it. He has a case...but so does Mariano, Schilling, Koufax. He can be in the conversation, but there's not way to say that it's definitive. 

On 8/27/2017 at 3:24 PM, mse326 said:

Based on what?

Yeah, I don't get that. I think he has a shot at the hall if he pitches the way he has been for about the next 7-8 years, but that's still a long time to go, but certainly not an all timer yet. Right now you could make a case that Brandon Webb has about the same right to the Hall of fame as Bumgarner. He basically had one fewer season under his belt, but a better WAR (33 to 28, which is pretty significant given that Madbum has made 30 more starts), Webb has one cy, 2 second place finishes, a much higher era+ (142 to 124). He doesn't have MadBum's post season track record, but he only got two starts - one was good, one was meh.  

On 8/27/2017 at 3:24 PM, mse326 said:

Based on what?

On the topic of east coast bias I think its based on the fact that most west coast games start when a majority of the east coast population are sleeping. Theres a range of other factors too that I could get into but I dont want to derail this thread or have a long debate. 

As for Bumgarner I guess I think playoff performances carry a lot more weight than regular season and maybe thats where I'm wrong. His regular season numbers don't get him in the HOF obviously but to me the HOF isnt just about having the best numbers, it's the legendary moments that I remember as a fan that adds that something extra. 21 years old pitching an 8 inning shutout in the World Series, doing it again at 2012, then in 2014 he had probably the best postseason pitching performance ever (I dont have the numbers in front of me). I've never experienced seeing someone so dominant in a playoff setting in baseball. Rivera I was a little younger and Schilling didn't really become the postseason monster until his mid 30's. But I'm sure for those fan bases there is the similar feeling. 3 world series takes another level of player to achieve and the Bum carried the giants more than anyone in those 3 years. 

Archived