Official GDT, Week 8: Browns vs. Steelers

NateDawg

6 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Could we try Bitonio at LT to see if that helps the pass rush? If not, so be it but lets try something. There are so many things to try, like the pace of the offense, maybe not going with 5 receivers quite as much leave someone back to help block, we've got to get some rhythm on offense and coaching isn't trying to do anything different that I have seen and we don't have the personnel to make what they are trying to do work. So either give up our next two drafts to bring in better talent or the coaching staff needs to spend a minute to figure this out. Or of course, the other alternative.

It's been strange to be in the 4 or 5 WR alignments but not have any quick route's or answers for Baker to go to especially on blitzing downs.

Just now, Mind Character said:

I'd disagree only about identifying the wrong QB, RB, and shuffling the OL parts... I think that when it comes to humans ... a decision can be correct even when the outcome doesn't go well.

I get your point, and won’t argue about OL and RB because I can see the other side, but I think they shat the bed with Baker.

From what we’ve seen thus far, Baker is much better that Taylor ever was.  I can imagine that wasn’t obvious in practice.

I get rolling with Tyrod to start camp, but at some point it should have been pretty obvious Baker was ready to play now and he should never been worked in with the ones.

Idk who made the call to keep Baker on the bench (remember the “idk if Baker will be the backup” line from Hue?) but it was clearly the wrong decision for weeks.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I get your point, and won’t argue about OL and RB because I can see the other side, but I think they shat the bed with Baker.

From what we’ve seen thus far, Baker is much better that Taylor ever was.  I can imagine that wasn’t obvious in practice.

I get rolling with Tyrod to start camp, but at some point it should have been pretty obvious Baker was ready to play now and he should never been worked in with the ones.

Idk who made the call to keep Baker on the bench (remember the “idk if Baker will be the backup” line from Hue?) but it was clearly the wrong decision for weeks.

I just don't think this argument matters at this point (does anything really matter? What is life??). We are where we are. I'll agree that starting Baker off the bat probably would have led to him being more prepared today, but it's just beyond clear that, rookie mistakes aside, he doesn't have the support around him to win.

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

It's been strange to be in the 4 or 5 WR alignments but not have any quick route's or answers for Baker to go to especially on blitzing downs.

This is what I’d be curious to see on the all 22 tape, was there someone and he missed it or was there nothing.

I can’t help but think there’d have to be a hot route on all of those plays when front 7 defenders where unblocked.

1 minute ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

I just don't think this argument matters at this point (does anything really matter? What is life??). We are where we are. I'll agree that starting Baker off the bat probably would have led to him being more prepared today, but it's just beyond clear that, rookie mistakes aside, he doesn't have the support around him to win.

I agreed that it likely won’t help as far as the outcome too much, but it would go to show the coaches can correctly identify who should be playing.

I’m speaking strictly from a coaching competency standpoint.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I agreed that it likely won’t help as far as the outcome too much, but it would go to show the coaches can correctly identify who should be playing.

I’m speaking strictly from a coaching competency standpoint.

I meeeaaaan I get why they did what they did. Especially after all the rookie QB issues they had. The plan was to use Tyrod as the bridge QB, and for him to carry this team thru the season with hopes of competent QB play. Unfortunately, that plan backfired when Tyrod played exactly like he did in Buffalo. 

Just now, MistaBohmbastic said:

I meeeaaaan I get why they did what they did. Especially after all the rookie QB issues they had. The plan was to use Tyrod as the bridge QB, and for him to carry this team thru the season with hopes of competent QB play. Unfortunately, that plan backfired when Tyrod played exactly like he did in Buffalo. 

When a QB is benched in favor of Nathan Peterman, it’s a fairly decent indicator that you should have your eyes peeled for a better option and that he may not be any good.

They seemed to have blinders on until Baker got his shot and, though underprepared, gave them no choice but to play him.

Had Tyrod not been hurt, we may still be watching him every Sunday.

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

When a QB is benched in favor of Nathan Peterman, it’s a fairly decent indicator that you should have your eyes peeled for a better option and that he may not be any good.

They seemed to have blinders on until Baker got his shot and, though underprepared, gave them no choice but to play him.

Had Tyrod not been hurt, we may still be watching him every Sunday.

Yes, but that could have been viewed as a dumb management decision, and not something worth bashing Tyrod for.

Dorsey traded for him with the belief that he could carry this team for a year. He invested a 3rd rounder.

I wouldn't call it blinders, I'd call it sticking to a plan.

And if he didn't get hurt, I think you're absolutely right.

Whether I agree entirely or not is irrelevant. It was understandable.

6 hours ago, Mind Character said:

That’s how we know Hue has been involved in the offense

Archived