Official GDT, Week 8: Browns vs. Steelers

NateDawg

5 minutes ago, brownie man said:

Man we were never going to beat them 

we’re into that part of the season where good teams are good they’re playing in their identity 

we got too many rookie and not enough play makers

are we playing up to our potential? I really don’t know it’s hard to say 

we’re so young still man at key spots it’s gonna be tough to be mature teams like Pitt 

we got Breshad Perriman playing smh that’s not a good look 

Yeah there’s a lot that only time and continuity can fix, no doubt there.

That said, I can’t think of a single game in the last 3 years where we punched above our weight, outmaneuvered our opponent or got the most of our talent. Not going to beat many teams doing that.

2 hours ago, Fofsadness said:

If he’s strictly a slot guy, then why are we paying him WR1 $?

It's what we have to do until our team gets better, overpay some FA to get them to sign. I think Landry would be worth it if we had other consistent threats, but since we don't, it's not hard to keep him contained. Another part of it is also our play calling is at times lacks creativity and is uninspiring.

Current thoughts.... Fire Hue yesterday. As much hope as i had for Haley, the play calling and usage of some of our weapons has been pretty damn bad, so i won't hate if he goes too, but will be pissed if he's the scapegoat and Hue remains (most likely scenario because, you know, Jimmuh). I actually don't want to trade for anyone at this point unless they will have a longer term future with the team (aka someone under 27ish) which means no Djax. No reason to make trades for now, this season is basically done. 

Some of the positives going forward are that i believe we have our QB for the next 15 years, Ward and Garrett are beasts and we have a lot of good young players. Worried about getting a WR next year because draft and FA don't look great at that spot, maybe an offseason trade to get someone next to Landry. Do have high hopes for Higgins. 

Harrison is trash and i can't believe how bad Hubbard has been, another guy i had high hopes for. Need new Tackles, again weak class next year.... yikes.

Yeah I will say I didn’t see our usual stupid team out there today

besides still not being able to handle screens I’ll trade that for our turnovers anyway 

we looked like we were the overmatched team that we are. This is gonna make us tough 

whether Hue is along for the ride though I can’t say 

2 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Landry isn’t a guy who can beat double teams or win on his own. But he is an elite wr when matched up in the slot one on one. He’s great at blocking and he’s great at YAC. But with zero playmakers outside of him. He is being double teamed. Teams plan on around him knowing he’s all we got. We need Two new Tackles. A new C. Two of not three WR. And please for the love of god if we’re going to run I get an actual FB. Njuko is a huge disappointment and I would be opposed to Fant out of Iowa in the second if his there. Hue has lost the team and the locker room. He needs to go. I’ll say it again and again and again. He is abysmal as a coach and is dividing the coaching staff each day. This offseason need to be dedicated to building around baker idc if we make zero changes on D. Even though I hate Collins and Ogbah. That d with rest can compete. It’s the coaching and the lack of playmakers on offense that’s killing us. And for the love of god get a vet kicker 

Excellent take. Many sound points.

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Hue has amazing consistency, cant win with or without talent. Dont box this guy in.

This.

56 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah there’s a lot that only time and continuity can fix, no doubt there.

That said, I can’t think of a single game in the last 3 years where we punched above our weight, outmaneuvered our opponent or got the most of our talent. Not going to beat many teams doing that.

This.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I get it, but here's my legit question.

1.) Did Todd Haley forget how to call plays?

2. Maybe he never could, I remember seing stats that showed Ben was better off script than on script, also Ben and brown are one of the best W QB combos ever, maybe they bailed him out?

2.) Was he never really a good play caller to begin with?

3.) Why are 2 of the top 2 OCs in the game in terms of DVOA offensive efficiency Hue the year before he came here and haley various years become terrible play callers here?

Im going with the dunnng kruger affect.

...the DunningKruger effectis a cognitive bias in which people of low ability have illusory superiority and mistakenly assess their cognitive ability as greater than it is..."

my theory is that Hue doesn't know how bad he is as a coach, that is incompetence is so high he can't see it. We can see problems that have happened for 2.5 seasons, that haven't changed, Hue sucks and he doesn't know it. The year Hue was really good was when he had, AJ, Sanu, Jones, 2 rbs, Dalton and an oline. People here could draw up some plays and get that offense going ok. 

For the last one I think inexperience is a major factor...no?

But I agree it is not the only factor...

I think inexperience is a factor, our recieving core imploded befoe the season, Colema sucks and it turns out Gordon is unreliable in a system where he doesn't need to be accountable, part of that is on Sachi, part of it is on Hue, part o it is on Dorsey. 
Sachi should of used the tranistion tag on Pryor and we should of traded Gordon a long time ago, that is easy to see in retrospect, but hey they get paid millions to do a good job, not a bad one. 

3 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Myles Garrett criticized Gregg in his locker room comments today. Said he felt they should have stuck with the same gameplan as week 1, did some experimenting this week and didn't really make any adjustments.

I like Garrett, but wouldn’t the Steelers have made adjustments and therefore shouldn’t we change our plan as they will be ready for what we did last time?!

Archived