2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

7 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Oh, Lawdy no. We already know Landry is massively overpaid. At least Scho has a serious chance of getting a reasonable, non-bank breaking extension.

I really like Landry as a locker room guy and emotional leader for the team. But his on field play makes me want to pay him about 7-8M a year, not 15+. Scho is about the same range IMO (6-10M depending on his performance this year), and will likely get about that (obviously Scho's next contract is all guessing at this point).

I would assume after the season Landry would want to rework his contract. Not for the fact for more money but prolly for more security on the team. I think after next year his dead cap hit turns to $4.5m , $3m, and $1.5m over the next three years. Making an easy way to save $10m+ plus Each year. I would assume with henry OBJ and Baker he prolly would want to play with them/for them for more than 1-2seasons. 

8 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Oh, Lawdy no. We already know Landry is massively overpaid. At least Scho has a serious chance of getting a reasonable, non-bank breaking extension.

I really like Landry as a locker room guy and emotional leader for the team. But his on field play makes me want to pay him about 7-8M a year, not 15+. Scho is about the same range IMO (6-10M depending on his performance this year), and will likely get about that (obviously Scho's next contract is all guessing at this point).

If he has a similar or better season he doesnt go for less than 11 millionper year on the open market.

In a bad scheme he was an excellent player. He is ok vs the run an excellent vs he pass. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Scho also led this team in missed tackles, he is far easier to replace 

2 hours ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Scho also led this team in missed tackles, he is far easier to replace 

I don’t remember ever hearing tackling be an issue when he came out in the draft and I don’t remember him missing that many tackles prior to last year. 

I feel like he fell victim to Gregggggg’s scheme and ideology of nothing but creating turn overs. Also Blake Williams has no right in being the LB coach.

If last year doesn’t turn into a outlier, of just being a lone season that was filled with missed tackles and he picks up where he left off, he will be replaced. 

I Like the fact that Dorsey brought in young talent that can push the Vet LBs we have. Hopefully that motivates Joe to greatly improve on his poor season last year

There are 3-4 guys on "PROVE IT" years as far as getting paid.

Robinson, LT: I think that if he plays lights out like last year, he's getting PAID long term. One of the 3-4 positions of "need/priority" in the NFL along with QB, DE, and CB. He's only 26, and a 5 year deal where he's paid up front the first 2-3 years gives you the flexibility to cut him if he regresses once he's in his early 30s/out of his prime...and it would also give you flexibility to resign Myles and Baker. I also don't see a "next guy/heir apparent" here.

Randall, S: Flexibility in the box, in the slot, or as a post high man FS type. He played great last year. If he plays great again, I think that we keep him. However, we also have drafted several young guys at the S position. IF they are SURE that one of those guys can step in and play, he may not be resigned. I'd be surprised, but not shocked.

Schobert, LB: TBH, with Takitaki and Mack getting drafted, Kirksey is gone in 2020 FOR SURE, if not before then. That also could be a sign of the future for Schobert as well. If he plays REALLY well ala 2017, then I bet we keep him/resign him. However, if he's inconsistent again and/or one of/both of those youngsters is ready to roll, he's gone and hello comp pick.

JMHO

• Like 1

Randall isn't really in a prove it year.   The Brown's will want to extend him.  However he will likely wait it out and test the market based on the huge salaries safeties got this last off season. 

Schobert is gone after this year.

Robinson will need to show a big improvement, or I think they move on from him after this year.  

7 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

Randall isn't really in a prove it year.   The Brown's will want to extend him.  However he will likely wait it out and test the market based on the huge salaries safeties got this last off season. 

Robinson will need to show a big improvement, or I think they move on from him after this year.  

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, Tomahawk said:

Agreed.

Agreed.

He was pretty solid last year.

I think he’s likely in the same boat as Randall, more so due to his position than play.  He could get a huge deal if he plays well.

On 6/15/2019 at 11:16 AM, buno67 said:

I don’t remember ever hearing tackling be an issue when he came out in the draft and I don’t remember him missing that many tackles prior to last year. 

I feel like he fell victim to Gregggggg’s scheme and ideology of nothing but creating turn overs. Also Blake Williams has no right in being the LB coach.

If last year doesn’t turn into a outlier, of just being a lone season that was filled with missed tackles and he picks up where he left off, he will be replaced. 

I Like the fact that Dorsey brought in young talent that can push the Vet LBs we have. Hopefully that motivates Joe to greatly improve on his poor season last year

I don't particularly agree that Joe had a poor season. When he was out in the middle of the season he seemed  to be missed. He was inconsistent as a tackler last year, sure, but he was still very solid in other aspects of the game. With that said, he'll either need to be more consistent and/or be willing to resign with us at a reasonable price if he wants to be here long-term. Especially depending on how our rookie LBs play this season.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, DawgX said:

I don't particularly agree that Joe had a poor season. When he was out in the middle of the season he seemed  to be missed. He was inconsistent as a tackler last year, sure, but he was still very solid in other aspects of the game. With that said, he'll either need to be more consistent and/or be willing to resign with us at a reasonable price if he wants to be here long-term. Especially depending on how our rookie LBs play this season.

Compared to Joe’s prior seasons, it was a poor season. 

I think he has the potential to be a poor mans Luke Kuechly. I think Joe’s strengths fit Silks scheme perfectly. 

I believe Joe should bounce back because think Last year he was misused. They gave him coverage responsibilities that a MLB shouldn’t have but because Gregggg used the safeties so weird, he got stuck with them. The new scheme shouldn’t ask joe to do those kinds of things. 

Schobert isn’t a guy you shovel money at in FA. He’s a good LB but doesn’t have a huge payday ceiling. So if someone is going to throw $15M p/yr at him, see ya. If he’s in line for $8M per season, sure give him 5/$40 with some outs and call it a day. We drafted two linebackers with the hopes that at least one of them will be ready to start in a year. I think they would really like to see Taki play a role this year, really. Randall I’d love to lock up but that’s a real question mark based on what the safety contracts looked like last year. I do think we have the money to retain some of our core guys though. We have some guys we can loosen from the books after this year. 

Edited by NateDawg
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Schobert isn’t a guy you shovel money at in FA. He’s a good LB but doesn’t have a huge payday ceiling. So if someone is going to throw $15M p/yr at him, see ya. If he’s in line for $8M per season, sure give him 5/$40 with some outs and call it a day. We drafted two linebackers with the hopes that at least one of them will be ready to start in a year. I think they would really like to see Taki play a role this year, really. Randall I’d love to lock up but that’s a real question mark based on what the safety contracts looked like last year. I do think we have the money to retain some of our court guys though. We have some guys we can loosen from the books after this year. 

Yea hopefully the safety contracts come back to earth and we can sign Randall to a deal that both sides can be happy with, I would allocate money to him over Schobert