2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

2 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Problem is that isnt Wilkins similar to Larry in terms of style/build? Being a smaller quick more of a knifing DT? They could def. use him but if they go with 2 smaller quick DTs than they need some serious studs at LB to back them up and fill gaps against the run.

The biggest thing that stood out to me is that the Browns dont have a big run stuffer on early downs playing next to Larry to eat space. Somebody like.......Danny Shelton. :)

Size means little in that regard. Play style is way more important. Larry is a 1-tech nose. In our defense, to compliment him we need a pass rushing 3-tech. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Problem is that isnt Wilkins similar to Larry in terms of style/build? Being a smaller quick more of a knifing DT? They could def. use him but if they go with 2 smaller quick DTs than they need some serious studs at LB to back them up and fill gaps against the run.

The biggest thing that stood out to me is that the Browns dont have a big run stuffer on early downs playing next to Larry to eat space. Somebody like.......Danny Shelton. :)

With how the league has become, do we need a big body on the d-line? Pats don’t play Danny’s Shelton and don’t really use a big body. The Saints don’t. The other teams left run a 3-4.

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Get a DT who is a run stuffer who eats blocks or get a DT who beats blocks? Both can have the same result in the run game

Anything the Browns just need an upgrade at the DT behind Ogun. Browns run defense didn’t struggle because it lacked a run stuff, it struggled because they didn’t have a decent #2 tackle, Ogbah regressed greatly in defending the run, and the browns had complete garbage at OLB 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

With how the league has become, do we need a big body on the d-line? Pats don’t play Danny’s Shelton and don’t really use a big body. The Saints don’t. The other teams left run a 3-4.

Browns just need talent behind Ogun. Literally no other DT made any kind of plays this year. 

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I think we do.

Doesn’t have to be a high pick or expensive free agent.  Doesn’t have to be a guy who plays a lot of snaps.

But if we’re keeping 4 DT’s, I wouldn’t mind that 4th guy being a 350lb run stuffer.  He can be one dimensional as hell, as long as he’s good at doing that one thing.

Shart yardage situations, goal line situations, etc I’d like a guy who requires a double team.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think we do.

Doesn’t have to be a high pick or expensive free agent.  Doesn’t have to be a guy who plays a lot of snaps.

But if we’re keeping 4 DT’s, I wouldn’t mind that 4th guy being a 350lb run stuffer.  He can be one dimensional as hell, as long as he’s good at doing that one thing.

Shart yardage situations, goal line situations, etc I’d like a guy who requires a double team.

You know a DT who is good at penetrating requires a double team as well. He also serves more of a purpose instead of being a pure situational player 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

You know a DT who is good at penetrating requires a double team as well. He also serves more of a purpose instead of being a pure situational player 

Absolutely.

On 4th and inches I guess I’d rather have a guy like Snacks or Joseph as opposed to a 300lb guy who wins with quickness.

Imo a guy like Michael Pierce would do wonders for this defense.

20 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Bring back fat Danny.

Fat Danny was just fat. I think @LETSGOBROWNIES Is thinking a big run stuffer who can actually move. Danny has ZERO lateral quickness and a slow first step. That recipe doesn't amount to needing to be double teamed. Just because you are big and powerful doesn't mean you will draw double teams. It is the big guys who can get off the ball in a hurry and have good lateral quickness to put pressure on running lanes. He brought up a perfect example in Michael Pierce. He and teammate Brandon Williams are huge but they are also incredibly quick off the ball. That much mass moving that suddenly is hard to control, but that much mass that doesn't move quickly is pretty easy to control. These NFL olineman throw around 350 pounds no problem for workouts all the time. If you want to create a problem you need that 350 pounds to be moving quickly and explosively.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think we do.

59 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Fat Danny was just fat. I think @LETSGOBROWNIES Is thinking a big run stuffer who can actually move. Danny has ZERO lateral quickness and a slow first step. That recipe doesn't amount to needing to be double teamed. Just because you are big and powerful doesn't mean you will draw double teams. It is the big guys who can get off the ball in a hurry and have good lateral quickness to put pressure on running lanes. He brought up a perfect example in Michael Pierce. He and teammate Brandon Williams are huge but they are also incredibly quick off the ball. That much mass moving that suddenly is hard to control, but that much mass that doesn't move quickly is pretty easy to control. These NFL olineman throw around 350 pounds no problem for workouts all the time. If you want to create a problem you need that 350 pounds to be moving quickly and explosively.

For these reasons, I nominate @Fatgerman for the Jun Doesey Cleveland Browns 2019 NFL draft board.

Edit: Sorry...wrong thread.

Edited by NudeTayne
But he's still got my vote.
  • Like 1