THE QUEST FOR THE DC/OC Beginneth!

MistaBohmbastic

On 12/6/2018 at 12:52 PM, buno67 said:

It's almost as if Albert and Josh have the same agent or something. 

Does everyone know that McDaniels is making over $4M in New England?

Because he is. Just another reason that Breer's continual pimping makes no damn sense.

I think Mike McCarthy would actually work out well for the Browns. Much like Reid is with the Chiefs. Despite Rodgers inability to adapt, McCarthy at least has shown that he is open to bringing new offensive schemes in.

21 minutes ago, Xenos said:

I think Mike McCarthy would actually work out well for the Browns. Much like Reid is with the Chiefs. Despite Rodgers inability to adapt, McCarthy at least has shown that he is open to bringing new offensive schemes in.

Many in here will disagree with you, but I agree with you.

And the fact that he's leaving Green Bay with as much class as he has, he earns a few more points in my book.

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

When?

Posted this in another thread, but McCarthy was running the same scheme earlier because that was what Rodgers was most comfortable with before. When McCarthy started incorporating new schemes like the one that McVay used, Rodgers still struggled because he likes to play sandlot style too much. I would read the entire article, but as long as Baker isn't stubborn (which he shouldn't be) and is adaptable,  I think McCarthy would be a good fit for him. The added bonus of having an offensive minded head coach is that you don't have to worry about the offense if the OC leaves.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/26/green-bay-packers-offense-problems-mike-mccarthy-aaron-rodgers

That creativity lately has shown up on other plays, too. In fact, this season, McCarthy’s offensive scheme has evolved dramatically. Early in the year, it was mostly just the simple spread formations that propagate isolation routes—that’s the unimaginativeness McCarthy has been dogged for over the years. Most likely he played this way because it accommodated Rodgers’s sandlot tendencies. It worked when the Packers had the right veteran receivers. But with an aging Jordy Nelson gone, James Jones long gone, and Randall Cobb either out injured or not looking like himself, the Packers this season have had to rely on callow, rookie receivers who are not yet capable of getting open on their own or finding the defense’s soft spots when Rodgers extends plays.

So, McCarthy has scrapped some of the iso-spread passing concepts for newer-age designs. He has used spread formations this November about half as often as he did in September. More importantly, he’s used condensed formations, with receivers aligned tight to the formation, about three times as often. Those condensed sets are the same thing McVay uses in L.A. It gives receivers more field to work with, which propagates more schematic variables in the passing game and a more natural intertwinement of routes. It also creates congestion for a defense, rendering coverages more predictable. This makes it easier for a QB to anticipate open throws. And, receivers who align tight to the formation are in better position to block safeties in the running game, which makes play-action off of that even more believable. On a related note, the Packers have also employed more snaps of two-tight end personnel, which diversifies a scheme, particularly on the ground.

The results of McCarthy’s updated approach have been mixed, in part because Rodgers’s execution has been mixed. Still, it’s reasonable to keep McCarthy on the hot seat; even with his improved approach, he’s far from flawless. But when evaluating McCarthy, we must admit that his quarterback is far from flawless, too.

So he got fired for trying to evolve too much?

Hoo boy, that is rich. Are there some people who still don't understand that formations are not the same as concepts?

That article hopes there are. It also asks you to accept the preposterous notion that the most talented QB in the NFL cannot play within an offensive scheme - any offensive scheme. That he is essentially Johnny Manziel being carried by the offensive brilliance of Mike McCarthy. 

You'll pardon me if I have a difficult time accepting that.

It all makes sense when you read the byline, though. It is an article written by an idiot. 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

If Rivera gets fired do we look at him? I’d rather have him than McCarthy. 

Ugh no way. Had Newton and a solid cast of offensive weapons it never had amazing offenses outside of one or two years. Had some darn good defensive talent  but only had two top10 defensive years. 

28 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

So he got fired for trying to evolve too much?

Hoo boy, that is rich. Are there some people who still don't understand that formations are not the same as concepts?

That article hopes there are. It also asks you to accept the preposterous notion that the most talented QB in the NFL cannot play within an offensive scheme - any offensive scheme. That he is essentially Johnny Manziel being carried by the offensive brilliance of Mike McCarthy. 

You'll pardon me if I have a difficult time accepting that.

It all makes sense when you read the byline, though. It is an article written by an idiot. 

You may not agree with him, but Benoit actually watches and studies film. And you apparently didn't read the article. It lays the blame on both McCarthy and Rodgers. Rodgers, in particular, may be the most talented QB in the NFL but this is an ongoing issue with him since at least 2016. When he does play within the scheme, he's absolutely brilliant. Which is why it's so maddening when he does not. He's the opposite of Brady in that regards.

Archived