Avengers: Infinity War

Acgott

On 4/11/2018 at 7:59 PM, The LBC said:

I mean, I'm actually expecting/hopeful we'll get the introduction of SWORD

I think youve nailed it here. Feige has said the next phase will be more Cosmic that before. So bringing in SWORD instead of SHIELD is the perfect pivot.

It lets Captain Marvel take over the main role, plush a bunch of the other characters (who I think will be alive after A4) fit in more with SWORD than SHIELD. Vision, Scarlet Witch, Dr Strange, Thor and the Guardians all could just slide right over.

Then let Spider-man go back to his own little world, the remaining grounded Avengers (Bucky, Falcon, Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man) take their turn with a story each outside the main through line, and then the Cosmic characters are now more connected.

Basically we get a reverse of the first 3 phases. For those is mostly Grounded on Earth, with side stories with Thor and the Guardians thrown in. Now we get the Cosmic and fantastical stories, with a few Earth based stories tossed in (and then maybe the culmination of this set of phases end in something that brings a threat to earth back into the fold; Galactus?)

I'm hopeful that Thanos is given good motivations and is a compelling villain.  They've said all the right things leading up to release that we'll sympathize with him and he's the main character of the film, but he better have more to his character than just "I want to destroy half the universe just because" like Malekith or I'll be greatly disappointed.

4 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm hopeful that Thanos is given good motivations and is a compelling villain.  They've said all the right things leading up to release that we'll sympathize with him and he's the main character of the film, but he better have more to his character than just "I want to destroy half the universe just because" like Malekith or I'll be greatly disappointed.

Well who knows, sometimes people like it that way. Like a guy pitching a fit and wanting to destroy everything for two movies because his mom and dad made him go live with his uncle. 

16 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

Like a guy pitching a fit and wanting to destroy everything for two movies because his mom and dad made him go live with his uncle. 

What movie are you talking about?

But yeah, the best villains are the ones whose motivations make sense.  The MCU has had a few clunkers (Abomination, Whiplash, the guy from Dark World), but also a few really good ones (Loki, Vulture, Hela).  With all these movies leading up to this, i'm confident (but also maybe somewhat hopeful) that they've given the villain the proper amount of development.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

What movie are you talking about?

But yeah, the best villains are the ones whose motivations make sense.  The MCU has had a few clunkers (Abomination, Whiplash, the guy from Dark World), but also a few really good ones (Loki, Vulture, Hela).  With all these movies leading up to this, i'm confident (but also maybe somewhat hopeful) that they've given the villain the proper amount of development.

I'm sure Seminoles could tell you. 

I do agree that the majority of the villains need an empathizing role. It helps identify the character better or at least explore his obsession in a clear and detailed manner. 

Sometimes though you can hit a jackpot with a character that isn't shown to have a backstory. Example The Dark Knights Joker. In which they focused mainly on his depravity. 

Personally I hope they explore the depths of Thanos obsession with becoming a God. 

21 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Sometimes though you can hit a jackpot with a character that isn't shown to have a backstory. Example The Dark Knights Joker. In which they focused mainly on his depravity. 

Yeah that's the iconic example of how your villain doesn't have to have a reason (or at least, what most people would consider a reasonable reason) for being a jerkwad.  More often than not, that doesn't work though and you end up with a generic villain that doesn't carry his part of the movie.

I'm actually really excited to see how Thor compares to the other leads in this.

IMO, in Ragnorok, Thor kind of showed how he's the Avenger who can do the most damage especially now that he knows how to best use his real power.

I feel like if we see him with the other heroes, he should be depicted as just so much more powerful than the rest. Besides for maybe Vision but they haven't really tapped into his abilities like I thought they would.

12 minutes ago, RollEagles said:

I feel like if we see him with the other heroes, he should be depicted as just so much more powerful than the rest. Besides for maybe Vision but they haven't really tapped into his abilities like I thought they would.

We've already kinda seen this with his dynamic with the GotG in the trailers

Archived