Avengers: Infinity War

Acgott

10 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Pretty sure if Rogers dies, Bucky is taking over as Captain America.

Subtle difference and objection to your post:

I know that's how they do it in the comics, but i think that would be confusing to the casual follower.

I think they're more likely to just do a total retirement of the character and bring in new characters to fill the void.  If Bucky sticks around, they just keep calling him Bucky, even if he picks up Cap's shield to continue his legacy (technically making him captain america i guess, but they won't call him that).

10 hours ago, BlaqOptic said:

Everyone's out here talking about Hawkeye and I'm just like "Where's Scott Lang?" I'm assuming that Ant-Man & The Wasp is going to take place too close to Infinity War so that's why he's not involved in the whole story.

He's credited in the movie?  I just assumed that he's playing the part of a minor character.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I know that's how they do it in the comics, but i think that would be confusing to the casual follower.

I think they're more likely to just do a total retirement of the character and bring in new characters to fill the void.  If Bucky sticks around, they just keep calling him Bucky, even if he picks up Cap's shield to continue his legacy (technically making him captain america i guess, but they won't call him that).

*shrug*

Screw the casual follower. I mean, a quick Wikipedia search would answer most of their questions.

12 hours ago, Desperado82 said:

Pretty sure if Rogers dies, Bucky is taking over as Captain America.

Yes, I think that is the obvious conclusion, as that is how they pitched the role (and giant contract) to Sebastian Stan. But I dont think it will be as simple as;

• Shield laying on the ground
  • Bucky picks up the Shield
  • Bucky is now Captain America

That would feel very unfulfilling. Plus they are in the business of making bankable movies, and the "who will pick up the Shield" is just about as bankable as you can get going into the next phase that is full of uncertainty. Especially if you have a film with a hand full of recognizable characters, who everyone likes (Bucky, Falcon, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Fury, etc.) all having some stake to the claim of Captain America.

2 hours ago, theJ said:

I dont think it would be that confusing at all. Its been pretty established that "Captain America" is his code name. That Steve Rogers is his actual name. And if you would actually show the reasons Bucky wants to take up the shield, especially to complete his redemption arc from being the Winter Soldier, him being formally acknowledged as Captain America by SHIELD or The Avengers themselves would be that final huge step.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Plus they are in the business of making bankable movies, and the "who will pick up the Shield" is just about as bankable as you can get going into the next phase that is full of uncertainty. Especially if you have a film with a hand full of recognizable characters, who everyone likes (Bucky, Falcon, Hawkeye, Black Widow, Fury, etc.) all having some stake to the claim of Captain America.

I'd buy into a Winter Soldier vs Falcon movie for the mantle of Captain America. Their banter in Civil War was great

6 hours ago, theJ said:

Yeah.  I think they've even helped ease that transition in this movie because he's no longer called Cap or Captain America.  He dropped that moniker and is pretty much just going by "Steve Rogers."

All that said, they're (and by that I mean Marvel Studios and Disney) are not going to give up the iconography of the Shield and its marketability (especially to kids).  People know the shield as Cap's shield, so even if Steve dies in panel, they're going to do whatever they can to keep that shield significant and marketable.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Yeah.  I think they've even helped ease that transition in this movie because he's no longer called Cap or Captain America.  He dropped that moniker and is pretty much just going by "Steve Rogers."

All that said, they're (and by that I mean Marvel Studios and Disney) are not going to give up the iconography of the Shield and its marketability (especially to kids).  People know the shield as Cap's shield, so even if Steve dies in panel, they're going to do whatever they can to keep that shield significant and marketable.

That i buy.  I just don't see them calling Bucky "Captain America" in the films.

1 hour ago, theJ said:

That i buy.  I just don't see them calling Bucky "Captain America" in the films.

I could see them calling him "Cap" or "Captain," but him being deferential if not even adamant about not wanting to be called "Captain America" out of respect for Steve.  if they kill/retire Tony, I can see them moving Rhodey into more of a base-command type.  Not sure why, especially after they already pulled the we-did-but-we-didn't in Winter Soldier, but I've got a sneaking suspicion Fury doesn't survive Infinity Wars - and frankly (it's probably Colby Smulders in the role) I don't buy this version of Maria HIll as the out-and-out liason between SHIELD and the Avengers.

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

I could see them calling him "Cap" or "Captain," but him being deferential if not even adamant about not wanting to be called "Captain America" out of respect for Steve.  if they kill/retire Tony, I can see them moving Rhodey into more of a base-command type.  Not sure why, especially after they already pulled the we-did-but-we-didn't in Winter Soldier, but I've got a sneaking suspicion Fury doesn't survive Infinity Wars - and frankly (it's probably Colby Smulders in the role) I don't buy this version of Maria HIll as the out-and-out liason between SHIELD and the Avengers.

Captain Marvel will be that role for SHIELD and the Avengers

1 hour ago, Acgott said:

Captain Marvel will be that role for SHIELD and the Avengers

You think?  I mean, I'm actually expecting/hopeful we'll get the introduction of SWORD and could just opt not to give as prominent a role to Abigail Brand.  I'm mostly just stream of consciousness writing right now, as I think it would be a missed opportunity to minimize Brand (and having that personality to offset certain others), but she just strikes me as someone they may decide to give the bulk of her major plot points to another character.

Honestly, I think Cheadle's getting slowly dialed out - maybe they break from comic canon and have him run-for/become POTUS, but more likely (if they're not killing Tony off) he's probably getting his comic death at the hand (literally) of Thanos.  Could see that and his body being interred on the Triskelion as being one of the final scenes of IWp1.  It's cliche, but it's an effective cliche.

Archived