• Odell Beckham Jr
    • Michael Thomas
    • Tyreek Hill
    • Adam Thielen
    • Mike Evans
    • Brandin Cooks

• 2 weeks later...
35 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

I vote Thomas because he's on fire right now.  He does his particular job as good as I've ever seen anybody do theirs. 

He doesn't run deep routes and burn guys with his speed, but he doesn't have to.

Agreed. I hate the guy because he's a Saint but he's worked over some great corners including Rhodes in the playoffs. Rhodes shuts down OBJ.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

I vote Thomas because he's on fire right now.  He does his particular job as good as I've ever seen anybody do theirs. 

He doesn't run deep routes and burn guys with his speed, but he doesn't have to.

Wouldn’t you say that limits his scope as a receiver thus devaluing his job in comparison to his peers?

17 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

If he does his job well enough to move the chains and score TDs does it matter?

It matters. 

Take names out of it. You’re comparing two players that are very skilled in their areas of expertise. Neither struggle getting the job done. But you notice one is better at one aspect than the other - wouldn’t you say that matters in a debate that is strictly looking at comparing the two players? 

You wouldn’t compare Thomas and Hill and say that Hill’s ability downfield doesn’t matter because Thomas gets in done debatably better in other ways, just like you wouldn’t say Thomas’ ability to work the intermediate doesn’t matter because Hill is a threat deep. 

Essentially saying that ability doesn’t matter because of production, in a player comparison, doesn’t work.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

It matters. 

Take names out of it. You’re comparing two players that are very skilled in their areas of expertise. Neither struggle getting the job done. But you notice one is better at one aspect than the other - wouldn’t you say that matters in a debate that is strictly looking at comparing the two players? 

You wouldn’t compare Thomas and Hill and say that Hill’s ability downfield doesn’t matter because Thomas gets in done debatably better in other ways, just like you wouldn’t say Thomas’ ability to work the intermediate doesn’t matter because Hill is a threat deep. 

I mean sure, you can compare strengths and weaknesses between players.  But if the end result is the same, can you say one is better than the other? One may be more versatile, but that versatility doesn't necessarily translate to more production.  

If not 4th best, I don't think it's a stretch at all to put Thomas in the top 5.

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

I mean sure, you can compare strengths and weaknesses between players.  But if the end result is the same, can you say one is better than the other? One may be more versatile, but that versatility doesn't necessarily translate to more production.  

The thread isn’t about production, though. Obviously within the scope of a game, a score is a score is a score. 

Would you say Wes Welker was as good a receiver as Julio Jones? Of course not. Julio can reliably catch contested balls. He’s more of a YAC threat. He can get deep. He’s bigger, more physical. Much faster. Production isn’t the end-all in a player comparison thread, especially when looking at player that are similarly productive. 

It makes absolute sense to look at an area where a player is lacking and factor it in, during a player comparison. 

Archived