2018 Draft Class Progress: Mid-Season Edition

Chiefer

52 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I wouldn’t consider an UDFA a “find”. Seems like he got lucky 

Lindsay is also benefiting a lot from his OL. I think right now he has the highest yards before contact per carry. Not saying he isn't a good player, but he's not as good as his stats say.

23 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Lindsay is also benefiting a lot from his OL. I think right now he has the highest yards before contact per carry. Not saying he isn't a good player, but he's not as good as his stats say.

I’d say there’s a noticeable difference between he and the other RBs. He’s good. But I’m not giving Elway credit...he didn’t even draft the guy. In all likelihood Lindsay took Denver because of the opportunity. 

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I’d say there’s a noticeable difference between he and the other RBs. He’s good. But I’m not giving Elway credit...he didn’t even draft the guy. In all likelihood Lindsay took Denver because of the opportunity. 

So by that logic, Elway shouldn't get any credit for Chris Harris Junior either?  Just asking, because there is some skill involved in finding UDFAs in my mind

20 minutes ago, broncofan48 said:

So by that logic, Elway shouldn't get any credit for Chris Harris Junior either?  Just asking, because there is some skill involved in finding UDFAs in my mind

I get where you're coming from, but wouldn't the skill be drafting them as if they had value in the first place? Not hoping they choose to sign with you as a FA. Lindsay is a Denver kid, he signed with his home team. 

Like what if Chris Harris signed somewhere else, but Elway had the "skill" to see his talent, but didn't draft him and let him get away to another team. Just riffing here, but you get the point.

Just now, big_palooka said:

I get where you're coming from, but wouldn't the skill be drafting them as if they had value in the first place? Not hoping they choose to sign with you as a FA. Lindsay is a Denver kid, he signed with his home team. 

Like what if Chris Harris signed somewhere else, but Elway had the "skill" to see his talent, but didn't draft him and let him get away to another team. Just riffing here, but you get the point.

No I actually agree, I don't know where the line is drawn.  How much of an UDFA is attributed to the GM, when like you said they could've/should've drafted them in the first place if they had any inkling how good they could be

1. Quenton Nelson G:  Very good.  Has a couple lowlight reel plays but otherwise has been extremely consistent and dependable.  Just won offensive rookie of the month.

2. Darius Leonard LB: Has to be top 3 for DROY.  Has the production of an all pro.  Is all over the field and makes impact plays every week.

2. Braden Smith OL:  Was drafted as a guard but has been forced to play RT due to injuries.  Looks good so far, should keep his starting spot for the foreseeable future.

2. Kemoko Turay DE: Developmental pass rusher who has been hot and cold.  3 sacks so far.

2. Tyquan Lewis DL: Got hurt in camp but should be returning in the coming weeks. 

4. Nyheim Hines RB: Early on he seemed like a WR playing RB, but has really been coming on as a runner lately. 

5. Reece Fountain WR: Practice squad.  Has not been able to crack the active roster despite a bleak WR situation.

5. Jordan Wilkins RB: A capable runner with pretty good vision, but he's nothing special.  3rd on the depth chart behind Mack and Hines.  

6. Deon Cain WR: Was one of the main recipients of training camp hype, but got hurt in the first preseason game and was placed on IR.

7. Matthew Adams LB: Good special teamer, a few snaps here and there on D.

7. Zaire Franklin LB: Plays some on run downs.  Not atrocious.

What I thought was an underwhelming class has been great so far.  Fountain is the only one I would consider a flat out miss to this point with Lewis and Cain as unknowns due to injury.  It still pains me to have passed on Harold Landry and Maurice Hurst, but I can't argue with the results.

New England Patriots:

1.23: Isaiah Wynn, OT, Georgia - IR. 

1.31: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia - Hurt. Looking like the real deal so far though, has a few solid runs and good overall consistency.

2.24: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida - IR. Supposed to be a pretty good nickel corner who's likely to return soon. Might compete with CB2 Jonathan Jones for some time.

5.6: Ja'Whaun Bentley, LB, Purdue - IR. Was a beast in the preseason but hurt his arm. He should kick somebody else off the roster next year and start.

6.4: Christian Sam, LB, Arizona State - IR. Looked like a pretty average special-teams / back-of-the-roster guy.

6.36: Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami: IR. 

7.1: Danny Etling, QB, LSU: Practice Squad. Looked like a 7th round QB in preseason - missed some easy throws but made some great plays (86-yard rush vs. NYG)

7.25: Keion Crossen, CB, Western Carolina: Tremendous athlete. Solid value. Right now gets a couple snaps a game but was burned a few times and drew 2 DPI calls. Could be something in the future but unlikely. 

7: Ryan Izzo, TE, Florida State: IR.

15 minutes ago, AlNFL19 said:

New England Patriots:

1.23: Isaiah Wynn, OT, Georgia - IR. 

1.31: Sony Michel, RB, Georgia - Hurt. Looking like the real deal so far though, has a few solid runs and good overall consistency.

2.24: Duke Dawson, CB, Florida - IR. Supposed to be a pretty good nickel corner who's likely to return soon. Might compete with CB2 Jonathan Jones for some time.

5.6: Ja'Whaun Bentley, LB, Purdue - IR. Was a beast in the preseason but hurt his arm. He should kick somebody else off the roster next year and start.

6.4: Christian Sam, LB, Arizona State - IR. Looked like a pretty average special-teams / back-of-the-roster guy.

6.36: Braxton Berrios, WR, Miami: IR. 

7.1: Danny Etling, QB, LSU: Practice Squad. Looked like a 7th round QB in preseason - missed some easy throws but made some great plays (86-yard rush vs. NYG)

7.25: Keion Crossen, CB, Western Carolina: Tremendous athlete. Solid value. Right now gets a couple snaps a game but was burned a few times and drew 2 DPI calls. Could be something in the future but unlikely. 

7: Ryan Izzo, TE, Florida State: IR.

That’s a lot of IRs

Jags:

Taven Bryan: been playing as a rotational guy on our dl and hasnt really made any great plays. his play as a big end has been very lackluster and seems to me his best fit is in the interior as a 3tech. 

DJ Chark: mostly plays Special teams but has moved more into the offense but his first few weeks on offense were very bad(like a penalty, a fumble in maybe like 20 snaps). hes starting to show a bit better but hes been decent but i wouldnt call him a hit. 

Ronnie Harrison: currently is a our Big Nickle defender and backup SS and has played pretty well. 

Will Richardson spent a bunch of time on the inactive list and then when injuries struck he made active however after a few games active hes on IR.  didnt really play much and in the preseason didnt look good. 

Tanner Lee: been on the PS all year. its telling the jags would rather sign Landry jones then promote lee. 

Leon jacobs:  been a starter day 1 as our sam Lber which is like a part time role. he hasnt been bad at all for a 7th round rookie. 

Logan cooke: has had a few awful punts but seems to be doing decent. 

On 10/30/2018 at 7:16 PM, Calvert28 said:

3- Michael Gallup- Showed some real burst against the Redskins and has been our best deep threat (even though that's not saying much). He's already becoming a starter midway through the season.

Against a 7th round rookie. ;)

6 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

Not nearly as much skill that goes into selecting a player in the draft. Players get to pick where they go in UDFA, and by that time its practically a dart throw for front offices. The Saints have been very good at UDFA RBs for years, and it’s not because they are great at selecting them...it’s that UDFA RBs know that the Saints produce UDFA RBs that get a chance and product at the NFL level. If the Broncos had any clue how good Lindsay would be...they would have drafted him. 

1 minute ago, Calvert28 said:

Saw him beat Josh Norman twice in that game, one at the very end when Dak fumbled for that Redskin TD.

Depends.  Sometimes Norman is jumping or biting on routes when he knows we're scheming up quick pressure on the QB, and he trusts our front to get there, so he'll take more risks.  I'd have to see the plays to determine it.

1sr - Kolton Miller - looked surprisingly good before he got hurt. He's been playing injured for weeks now and is getting abused.

2nd - DT PJ Hall - has all the physical tools but has made little to no impact. Gets washed out alot.

3rd - OT Brandon Parker - Got thrown into the fire at RT after Penn went on IR and he's been getting destroyed every game. He's been awful.

3rd - Traded for WR Martavis Bryant - One of the worst trades in history. A 1 year rental whose done absolutely nothing for our offense.

3rd - DE Arden Key - Good at times but mostly bad. He's playing too many snaps and even playing run downs, where he's getting dominated. Then again a 240 lbs rookie passrusher shouldnt be playing 60+% of the snaps.

4th - CB Nick Nelson - Nothing to see here.

4th - DT Maurice Hurst - A gift from the draft gods. He leads our DL in snaps and has been far and away the best player on our atrocious DL. Will flourish with more talent around him.

5th - P Johnny Townsend - Has been atrocious and has to be among the worst Punters in the league.

6th - LB Azeem Victor - Dont even know if he's on the roster or the PS. Haven't hearx a thing about him all year tho.

7th - WR Marcel Ateman - PS player all year until we traded Coop.

Overall, everyone but Miller and Hurst look overwhelmed. Key looks like he could be a good passrusher but needs to be limited to a situational rusher role. Parker looks like hot garbage and Hall looks like he's struggling to handle the leap in competition. Nick Nelson might not be fully recovered from his knee yet so ill give him till next year to look better. The rest are likely not long for the roster.

If we hit on Miller, Hurst, and Key ill be happy but overall a very underwhelming draft with alot of Al Davis-type picks(Athletes who lack football skills and reaches). Bryant trade tarnishes the draft class badly as well.

Archived