Packers trade HA-HA Clinton Dix to Redskins

49erurtaza

Just now, BAConrad said:

Tyrann Mathieu is better and he not only was cut by his team, but signed a 1 year deal for 7 million.

Sorry but I don't see HCD getting some multi-year deal with 8 figures guaranteed.

Mathieu being better is certainly up for debate.  And he was cut by the Cards...so we can't use that as a sign of competence by a FO.  

What isn't though is the fact that Mathieu was hurt a ton while Haha never misses a snap.  

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Conrad was saying he wouldn't get a deal that size(simply enough to hit 3rd round comp) cause Jairus Byrd got a huge contract or something.  

he would "simply need" to sign a multi year, 9 figure AAV deal to get a comp pick in the 3rd or 4th. 

He's not getting that kind of contract lol

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is basing it strictly on contract value - isn't there a playing time component in comp picks that factors into the pick calculation?

I've always been fuzzy on comp picks, but Ha Ha is a guy who isn't coming off the field much.

"The placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time, and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor"

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_Draft#Compensatory_picks

So yeah, not strictly based on salary but it's the easiest to use to project where the comp pick will fall

4 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

he would "simply need" to sign a multi year, 9 figure AAV deal to get a comp pick in the 3rd or 4th. 

He's not getting that kind of contract lol

2. Each qualifying free agent must be assigned a value based on his contract, playing time and postseason honors, and that value corresponds to a round in the draft.

Start with the actual APY of the contract signed.

Subtract from the actual APY any money that the compensatory formula does not count. It has been determined that workout bonuses, incentives, and salary escalators are the most common money figures that the compensatory formula does not count.

Adjust the APY by applying a coefficient based upon the percentage of offensive or defensive snaps the player took in his first year under the contract.

Apply a positive coefficient to each UFA that obtained postseason honors.

Not quite.  And considering he plays every snap and could make the Pro Bowl, that has to be factored in.  

21 minutes ago, ET80 said:

This is basing it strictly on contract value - isn't there a playing time component in comp picks that factors into the pick calculation?

I've always been fuzzy on comp picks, but Ha Ha is a guy who isn't coming off the field much.

Whatever other components there are it's still like 90% contract value.

I'm not happy downgrading mid-season when we're fighting for the division, but with $45m in cap space next year, chances are we would sign someone to wipe the comp pick out. Plus HHCD has been questioned for effort in his time here. I liked him, had his jersey, but I understand the move. Now hopefully we see Breeland and Josh Jones get on the field

18 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

puzzling for gb... are they throwing in the towel this year? i mean, haha was a pretty good player for them this year, he could at least help for the last 8-9 games.

Probably closer than not to throwing in the towel.  But we weren't re-signing him.  This allows the team to decide if they need one or two starting safeties next season.  If this tanks the team, then we get better draft picks.

I would have liked more than a 4th, but that is what was offered.  We have Matthews and Cobb clearing $23 million this offseason, so it will be spent and we probably don't get a comp pick for Clinton-Dix.

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I'm not happy downgrading mid-season when we're fighting for the division, but with $45m in cap space next year, chances are we would sign someone to wipe the comp pick out. Plus HHCD has been questioned for effort in his time here. I liked him, had his jersey, but I understand the move. Now hopefully we see Breeland and Josh Jones get on the field

hasnt josh jones generally been awful when hes seen the field this year? Youre giving up a piece that would have really helped make the playoffs this year for lottery odds in the draft. I dont get it.

4 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:
12 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

hasnt josh jones generally been awful when hes seen the field this year? Youre giving up a piece that would have really helped make the playoffs this year for lottery odds in the draft. I dont get it.

He has been on the field for 4 defensive plays. But yes, he was generally awful last year. 

I understand it, I'm not happy about it though. Doubt we would have gotten a comp pick because I expect we would sign someone to cancel, but I would rather keep him for the rest of the year

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Probably closer than not to throwing in the towel.  But we weren't re-signing him.  This allows the team to decide if they need one or two starting safeties next 

The latter part of this post would normally indicate a team that was out of contention and on the rebuilding phase......not one that currently has the best QB in football who is in his mid 30s and actually want to win a SB.

I feel terrible for A-Rod. Guy has been stuck on a team that generally just isn't good. 

You think if GMs like Les Snead or Howie Roseman were to have Rodgers as their QB, they would be trading away young  established players for picks? 

They'd actually be doing the opposite. Just like they are now. 

I'm not trying to be a jerk. I love Rodgers as a player. But Green Bay's inability to build even a competent team around him over the better half of the last decade is astounding. 

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

No more Golden Tate or HaHa...

I'm not complaining. The Vikings may not be anything special this year, but these moves help!

Vikings aren’t beating GB because they traded HaHa. This move barely moves the needle in GB. We are an average team that can’t be counted out because of the QB. The HaHa trade doesn’t change that. Vikings are the top team in the division in my opinion and that has nothing to do with HaHa or Tate being gone. Not saying you said that, I’m just ranting a little. 

Archived