Broncos VS Texans GDT

broncofan48

50 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wow that really does look like that's what BoB was saying.

Look, no one wanted Vance as the head coach here. I still, nearly two years later, am wondering what it was Elway & Co. saw in him. Even with Mac I could see what appeal Ellis saw; a young, bright, articulate, energetic guy from the best franchise in modern pro sports. With Vance, I don't see any of that. Nothing in his pedigree or coaching history pointed to the next big thing. That being said, is Vance is bad guy? No, his past at CU when he was investigated for assault notwithstanding, I don't think so. Would I enjoy having a beer with him? Probably. Vance will be gone at year's end. Things are bad but they're not bad enough that there are 20,000+ empty seats. Elway & Co. are going to let him coach out the season and clean house in January. 

What has me the most disappointed is that this was just another wasted year. A wasted year of the primes of Von and CHJ, among others, a wasted year on Case when we could have drafted a QB, a wasted year with a HC we knew wasn't the right guy this time last year. Just a wasted year all around. Let's hope the draft we had in April - where the FO really did a good job with their new approach - carries over to early 2019 and beyond. 

Okay, so which one would you have drafted instead of Chubb?  I'm all ears.

It really is the hope that gets you ... Every. Time.

Our Defense did well to hold the Texans in the redzone and played really well after the 1st quarter. I've no idea what Trumaine Brock was smoking in the 1st quarter but fair play, he seemed to pick it up.

It appears everyone else said the glaring obvious about the Coaching staff (not just Vance) in this game. The (ridiculous) challenge that lost us a timeout, the clock and play mismanagement at the end of the 1st half which caused a 6 point swing and the worst bit - the clock and play mismanagement to end the game. THROW THE BALL. You've got 40 seconds and a timeout for crying out loud.

That said, McManus cost us the game. That FG is the equivalent of a 45 yarder in every other NFL stadium. He's paid like one of the better Kickers in the NFL so he should kick like it.

I've been as critical as anyone re: Case, but this was easily his best game as a Bronco. He got let down at times by penalties (shock) and drops (shock), but he stuck with it and made some clutch throws against a very good Defensive front.

This loss will absolutely kill this team. At 4-5, you can sell the (false) hope of the season still being alive. Now, we're dead men walking at 3-6 with the red hot Chargers on deck.

Players are now playing for their jobs, not the playoffs.

Oh, and hopefully this put to bed the rather annoying narrative of, "we average 5 yards per carry so let's just run the ball 40 times a game!!!!!11111".

This team is not capable of running the ball to wear down opponents. The running game has to compliment the passing game. Why? Because right now, the rules and calibre of Defensive Line athletes demands you to throw the football, not run it. Every time we ran it on 1st down we got killed.

Throw the ball at your 1v1 matchups, run the ball when you get the Defense in Nickel or Dime on 2nd down. That is the NFL right now.

3 hours ago, lomaxgrUK said:

Oh, and hopefully this put to bed the rather annoying narrative of, "we average 5 yards per carry so let's just run the ball 40 times a game!!!!!11111".

This team is not capable of running the ball to wear down opponents. The running game has to compliment the passing game. Why? Because right now, the rules and calibre of Defensive Line athletes demands you to throw the football, not run it. Every time we ran it on 1st down we got killed.

Throw the ball at your 1v1 matchups, run the ball when you get the Defense in Nickel or Dime on 2nd down. That is the NFL right now.

I think you hit the nail on the head here - the NFL has changed -- it now is passing orientated and has massive speed on defence. The old run-run-pass approach is done - given how poor OLs are you need an creative OC to be able to adapt to what defences can do.

7 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Wow that really does look like that's what BoB was saying.

Look, no one wanted Vance as the head coach here. I still, nearly two years later, am wondering what it was Elway & Co. saw in him. Even with Mac I could see what appeal Ellis saw; a young, bright, articulate, energetic guy from the best franchise in modern pro sports. With Vance, I don't see any of that. Nothing in his pedigree or coaching history pointed to the next big thing. That being said, is Vance is bad guy? No, his past at CU when he was investigated for assault notwithstanding, I don't think so. Would I enjoy having a beer with him? Probably. Vance will be gone at year's end. Things are bad but they're not bad enough that there are 20,000+ empty seats. Elway & Co. are going to let him coach out the season and clean house in January. 

What has me the most disappointed is that this was just another wasted year. A wasted year of the primes of Von and CHJ, among others, a wasted year on Case when we could have drafted a QB, a wasted year with a HC we knew wasn't the right guy this time last year. Just a wasted year all around. Let's hope the draft we had in April - where the FO really did a good job with their new approach - carries over to early 2019 and beyond. 

It isn't THAT bad...at least we aren't Browns fans.  The Broncos have hung in most of the games, which tells me there is talent on the team and are simply a good coaching staff and a QB away from competing. 

7 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Okay, so which one would you have drafted instead of Chubb?  I'm all ears.

So we have posts that ask not to rehash Rosen vs. Chubb on every thread - only to have people ask the Q over & over again.    Which is totally fine - but then stop having posts that ask we stop having the debate on so many threads.     As someone who's said my piece, I have no problem not rehashing the debate - but that applies to both sides - if people are tired of having the Chubb vs. QB debate...well, stop asking the Q or making the pro-Chubb argument, otherwise you're going to get the flip side, being that it's a forum for discussion.   Either way is good, but really we can't have it both ways..

Pick and choose, people. 

It isn't THAT bad...at least we aren't Browns fans.  The Broncos have hung in most of the games, which tells me there is talent on the team and are simply a good coaching staff and a QB away from competing. 

That Browns roster has a brighter future than ours. I dont think thats very debatable. They are going to attract a top tier coach because they have a young franchise player on both sides of the ball. I would take that roster over ours 10/10 times.

This team is going nowhere until we have a QB and a quality coach. Its a waste of time. Chubb has played well but I still take Rosen over him, even with his struggles. Especially with the dearth of talent in this upcoming draft. We are going to reach for a R1 QB or trade up for one, and the value likely will be bad in either case. Elway's hand will be forced in this draft to take a early QB. He cant afford to sign one, not with Case having so much money guaranteed. He also cant afford to go into 2019/20 with Case handed the starters spot, guaranteeing another wasted year. So we will reach on a non-elite talent and that guy will likely fail. Rinse, repeat. Story of this team since the Super Bowl.

43 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

That Browns roster has a brighter future than ours. I dont think thats very debatable. They are going to attract a top tier coach because they have a young franchise player on both sides of the ball. I would take that roster over ours 10/10 times.

This team is going nowhere until we have a QB and a quality coach. Its a waste of time. Chubb has played well but I still take Rosen over him, even with his struggles. Especially with the dearth of talent in this upcoming draft. We are going to reach for a R1 QB or trade up for one, and the value likely will be bad in either case. Elway's hand will be forced in this draft to take a early QB. He cant afford to sign one, not with Case having so much money guaranteed. He also cant afford to go into 2019/20 with Case handed the starters spot, guaranteeing another wasted year. So we will reach on a non-elite talent and that guy will likely fail. Rinse, repeat. Story of this team since the Super Bowl.

The best thing for us might be Case playing well enough to be our QB in 2019 if we can't get Herbert tbh. Maybe take a flier on a QB with some potential in free agency or something. If we have another strong draft and clear up some money issues, we could attack the QB issue the following offseason in the draft.  

4 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Dang dt was asked about our clock management and he said , " that's what they do over there. I'm not a part of it no more.  We like to win here (Houston). 

I wonder if he's just referring to coaching shots fired.

It's kind of a funny comment considering he's been there 4 days or whatever...probably something you just say with emotion moreso than any deeper thought than that. That must have been such an incredibly emotional and weird experience for DT

2 minutes ago, champ11 said:

It's kind of a funny comment considering he's been there 4 days or whatever...probably something you just say with emotion moreso than any deeper thought than that. That must have been such an incredibly emotional and weird experience for DT

I mean he ran off the field very fast. I think there is definitely underlying frustration there on his part 

Chris Harris' comments are the ones I feel like I have been harping on about all season:

“The (margin of) error is so small for our team,” Harris said. “We can’t mess up like we did today and have a chance to win. We have to damn near play perfect. So we have to figure out what we can do to eliminate those little mistakes that just kill us every game.

“The good teams know how to win those games today. They pull those out. That’s something we have to figure out how to do.”

There are a fair few teams in the NFL that can win with Coaching blunders, missed FGs, penalties, etc. Ironically, I would put Houston in that category (LOL @ Bill O'Brien mocking ANY Coaching decision). That said, we aren't one of them. We all know this. A lot of my comments regarding the thin margin for error have been in regards to Case, but again - he wasn't to blame at all for this loss.

I honestly think Elway almost has to take a QB early in the upcoming draft.  Maybe not with a top 15 pick, but in the first couple of rounds.

Just no way he can roll into next season with only Keenum and no plan for the future.  I know outside of Herbert there isn’t another guy in the mix to go early, but there are still quality QBs in the late 1st to 2nd round that I wouldn’t consider massive reaches. 

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

So we have posts that ask not to rehash Rosen vs. Chubb on every thread - only to have people ask the Q over & over again.    Which is totally fine - but then stop having posts that ask we stop having the debate on so many threads.     As someone who's said my piece, I have no problem not rehashing the debate - but that applies to both sides - if people are tired of having the Chubb vs. QB debate...well, stop asking the Q or making the pro-Chubb argument, otherwise you're going to get the flip side, being that it's a forum for discussion.   Either way is good, but really we can't have it both ways..

Pick and choose, people. 

Well - I'm the one the made the comment about not rehasing "you know what" in every thread, and I would stick by it - but of course I can only speak for myself:D

19 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I honestly think Elway almost has to take a QB early in the upcoming draft.  Maybe not with a top 15 pick, but in the first couple of rounds.

Just no way he can roll into next season with only Keenum and no plan for the future.  I know outside of Herbert there isn’t another guy in the mix to go early, but there are still quality QBs in the late 1st to 2nd round that I wouldn’t consider massive reaches. 

Yeah I think using a pick on a QB in the first three rounds that you like could be smart. I'd probably prefer the third if the board works out like that. Just so you can throw him out there at some point in the year even if they are your backup of the future. Good thought 

Archived