Remind me again why Jack Del Rio is still not the Raiders coach.

CKS97

On 11/3/2018 at 4:28 AM, BayRaider said:

JDR is also a terrible defensive coordinator. He is actually a worse coordinator than he is a Head Coach. At least as a Head Coach he is a great motivator who gets players to work hard, although still not a good Head Coach by any means.

What is Jack good at? He is an excellent Linebackers coach. I think USC would be making a terrible decision to hire Del Rio as HC.. but then again when has USC done anything right over the past decade?

I don’t disagree that he’s a good LB coach, but that perception was helped wary in his career by having Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware and Jamie Sharper 

6 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I don’t disagree that he’s a good LB coach, but that perception was helped wary in his career by having Ray Lewis, Peter Boulware and Jamie Sharper 

tbf not saying i would do this but you could argue they wouldn’t have been as good f coached by a different guy

20 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

So, who are the Raiders in a position to pay moving forward in the next 2-4 years? I mean, what contracts are looming that are so important?

I know! Gruden is going to bat .1000 in the draft, despite all previous failures. And then - THEN - he's going to have the perfect FA spree which he can't help himself with anyway that will propel the Raiders into instant contender status!

He's going to do this with Ryan Fitzpatrick, as well. Because Gruden has never shown even the slightest ability to draft and develop a QB. And almost less willingness to even use a high pick on one.

I'm sold. Mack needed to go so they can extend Kolton Miller in 2021 to the contract he deserves.

Well what you think should've been done doesn't mean didly squat.  Jon Gruden's plan is all that matters because he's, you know, the HC.  He decided to go in a different direction and remake the team in his own image and he alone will have to answer for whatever success (or lack thereof) happens as a result of these moves.  I agree that his track record for talent evaluation leaves a lot to be desired and that it will require a lot of great decisions over the next couple years for any of it to work out the way he's hoping it will, but its not like he should just look at his past career and say "Yeah, I suck and have no chance to build a winner here with the Raiders".  IMO, the team that he inherited was never going to win a SB anyway so going into full rebuild mode was really the only viable option moving forward.  They could've kept Mack (and his ridiculous contract) and won 7 to 9 games a year for the next 5 years, perhaps making the playoffs a couple of times, but never really being a threat to win it all, and I guess you'd be happy with that.  But Gruden wasn't brought into the organization to just continue to do more of the same, and win or lose, at least they are going to go into an entirely new direction to at least give themselves a chance to be something more.  Even if its just a very small chance to win a SB, as a fan I'd take that over being guaranteed mediocre every year.

On 11/3/2018 at 2:00 AM, TheKillerNacho said:

JDR wasn't a great coach by any stretch but dear god Gruden seems like a train wreck. Moreso than I expected.

Yeah I think as I did most of us thought it was going to be very bad, but did any of us really think this bad.

they are a terrible refs call away from being on zero wins 

We got outcoached constantly with JDR. Our defenses sucked and him and his staff helped draft all those busts too.

If Carr and the O didn't carry him in 2016, no one would be talking about this like it's some kind of mistake.

I have no issue with Gruden the offensive coach. @jrry32 and others who recognize him/the coaching tree he belongs to will understand that much. Whether he can be an acting GM/hire a competent one/find a way to coexist with Reg. is the real question.

Playing very young players and tanking is fine if you pick the right guys. I have no idea if he learned from his 1st coaching tenure, though I like our rookie class this year, though they are all unproven.

On 11/3/2018 at 1:30 AM, CrashMan510 said:

Grudens still trying to win games but he's clearly rebuilding.

Which makes things worse., because he's supposed to be an offensive guru and the offense has been a huge piece of crap. And it's not like they didn''t have talent heading into the year.

Did they, though? Amari Cooper forgot how to catch the ball, Jordy Nelson is like 3 years removed from his prime, Lynch is an above average HB but nothing more, Cook is an inconsistent TE. Raiders offense didn't have as much talent as people thought it did.

6 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

After the playoff season I would’ve liked Del Rio to explain why Musgrave wasn’t still the OC

His contract was up, instead of renewing it they promoted the QB Coach Todd Downing who Carr loved. If they didn’t promote Downing he probably would of got an OC job somewhere. Del Rio felt Downing was more important to Carrs success. He went on to be the worst coordinator we’ve had in quite some time. Personally I would of kept Musgrave, it was annoying how he would score 0-3 points the first half of every single game and then unleash the playbook and score 28-35 in the second half, but at the end of the day, it was a Top 5 Offense. 

Archived