Relationship Advice Thread

scar988

10 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

do you guys think good morning texts are a big deal? like if you text your SO good morning and she doesnt respond to it would you feel a type of way? 

If I didn't get a response I would assume a Taken situation and gear up for a rampage

Archer Rampage GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Edited by Heimdallr

On 6/10/2022 at 8:32 AM, Texansfan713 said:

do you guys think good morning texts are a big deal? like if you text your SO good morning and she doesnt respond to it would you feel a type of way? 

i would feel that you're overthinking it and she might be busy.

So we’ve been back to talking since she reached out.  On Friday, she let me know that Thursday was going to be a complete day off for her, and she made a big deal about it.  I’m on the fence about asking her if she wants to get together, because one of the things that we talked through was me putting pressure on her to hang out when she first got busy.  The other thing is that we have plans to do a weekend away that includes a concert on June 25th, and we had discussed that possibly looking different.  I have to have my schedule in for work for that week on Tuesday of this week, so I do need to reach out and figure out what that weekend looks like, but what do you all think about Thursday?  I’ve gotten split opinions from two friends, so you guys are the tiebreakers.  One said just find a way to send her my availability for this week (which is pretty full myself) and the other said just ask her out to dinner and essentially make it low stakes. 

On 6/12/2022 at 1:26 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

I’ve gotten split opinions from two friends, so you guys are the tiebreakers.  One said just find a way to send her my availability for this week (which is pretty full myself) and the other said just ask her out to dinner and essentially make it low stakes. 

aaaaand... it's Thursday, so you've probably already dealt with it. but i'd say a casual "hey, would you like to do something together" would have been all you needed.

My beginning with my wife I feel like is somewhat different for a few reasons. Even though we knew each other in HS and dated some in college we weren't particularly close so there wasnt a friend zone thing but when we reconnected after college:

1. Getting her to respond to text messages was incredibly difficult

2. She constantly kept saying she's sorry she's so busy with work, vet school application stuff and/or possibly a Masters program

I being a relatively impatient person/wanting an answer rather than this "does she like me or not thing" pretty much took 1 final swing, I bought 2 movie tickets and a birthday card for her. Dropped it off in the mailbox and in the card said something like "Sorry you've been so busy, hope you can use these and have some fun for a change"

Basically, the ball is in your court, if she invites me to the movie cool, if not, then I will just move on

The movie ticket thing worked, although she showed up super late to the movie despite confirming the time a few hours earlier but that turns out to be how she is, so now we're late to everything lol

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 9:49 AM, vike daddy said:

aaaaand... it's Thursday, so you've probably already dealt with it. but i'd say a casual "hey, would you like to do something together" would have been all you needed.

Yeah she hinted Monday at wanting to make something for me and I asked her to dinner when she was free, and then it’s now turned into us going away this weekend to meet two of her aunts (one is moving back home) and a cousin.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 7:26 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

Yeah she hinted Monday at wanting to make something for me and I asked her to dinner when she was free, and then it’s now turned into us going away this weekend to meet two of her aunts (one is moving back home) and a cousin.

there ya go! see? just take it easy and casual (but be truthful and don't play games) and things will move along.

• Like 1

The girl was I had 2 dates fell out of communication with me. Unsuccessfully attempted to secure a 3rd date the past 2 weeks. I sent a text to her Tuesday, that she never responded to. So that is probably over.

Had a 1st date last night with a different girl. Going to attempt to get a second date. I'm really having to reign myself in with her. I was up late looking a concert tickets for 2 of her favorite country artists, and I do not care for country music in the slightest. If that gives you any indication lol.

18 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

I was up late looking a concert tickets for 2 of her favorite country artists, and I do not care for country music in the slightest. If that gives you any indication lol.

i think it's important you find things you both like.

• Like 3

On 6/19/2022 at 2:34 PM, twslhs20 said:

The girl was I had 2 dates fell out of communication with me. Unsuccessfully attempted to secure a 3rd date the past 2 weeks. I sent a text to her Tuesday, that she never responded to. So that is probably over.

Had a 1st date last night with a different girl. Going to attempt to get a second date. I'm really having to reign myself in with her. I was up late looking a concert tickets for 2 of her favorite country artists, and I do not care for country music in the slightest. If that gives you any indication lol.

I was highly interested in a girl years ago, and it was a horrible deal, but I also want to recommend the following……don’t come off as a chameleon.  When I finally let her go, I realized she did that with everyone and it’s really a false sense of things.  It is very important that you all find common ground, and that you don’t go all-in on things she likes this early that you have no interest in. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i think it's important you find things you both like.

100% agree. I just really enjoyed my time getting to know her. I didn't pull the trigger. That would just be creepy and insane lol. But, If it gets to date 6 or 8, I'd like to so something special.

I already feel insane. Cool.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I was highly interested in a girl years ago, and it was a horrible deal, but I also want to recommend the following……don’t come off as a chameleon.  When I finally let her go, I realized she did that with everyone and it’s really a false sense of things.  It is very important that you all find common ground, and that you don’t go all-in on things she likes this early that you have no interest in. 

Fair point. I told her up front I didn't care for country. I was just thinking doing something she would enjoy down the line if It got that far.

My luck hasn't been great so far lol.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, twslhs20 said:

Fair point. I told her up front I didn't care for country. I was just thinking doing something she would enjoy down the line if It got that far.

My luck hasn't been great so far lol.

That is fair.  How you presented it was that you were looking to do it fairly quickly, so I just wanted to share that story from my experience.  Looking back on my situation afterwards when I got clarity, her being a chameleon should’ve been a massive red flag.   

There is no problem with having things you both like doing that the other doesn’t, but sometimes it is nice to do something together that the other person really likes.  

• Like 1