Preseason game #2: Raiders vs. Rams

RaidersAreOne

Just now, jrry32 said:
4 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

McVay is a genius with those bunch sets. I doubt y'all gameplanned too hard for a preseason game, so it made it more exploitable than usual.

Yeah our defense has had its hardships with confusion and busted coverages for a while.  Hard not to see it that way when you have guys running wide open to the endzone

1 minute ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Yeah our defense has had its hardships with confusion and busted coverages for a while.  Hard not to see it that way when you have guys running wide open to the endzone

I just realized that I quoted the wrong post lol.

4 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

McVay is a genius with those bunch sets. I doubt y'all gameplanned too hard for a preseason game, so it made it more exploitable than usual.

Looks like the entire secondary bit on the play action.  

11 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

That sack led to them punting but if Mack does not get there then that would have been another easy TD.  They should have gone TD-TD-TD-FG in the first half.

12 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

No, it looks like some kind of rub in the bunch got Amerson to pick him and then there was no safety help.   A bunch of guys looked confused there

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fnfl-game-highlights%2F0ap3000000832342%2FEvery-Cooper-Kupp-reception-Preseason-Week-2

No, that doesn't show the beginning of the play where Carrie nearly falls down changing direction. Nelson is playing close to the line as the defense was feigning pressure so Karl had single high responsibility. He has no chance to get there after the rollout action pulled him to the other side of the field. Just a good play design compounded by Carrie slipping and the raiders bringing a safety down to the line.

1 hour ago, NightTrainLane said:

No, that doesn't show the beginning of the play where Carrie nearly falls down changing direction. Nelson is playing close to the line as the defense was feigning pressure so Karl had single high responsibility. He has no chance to get there after the rollout action pulled him to the other side of the field. Just a good play design compounded by Carrie slipping and the raiders bringing a safety down to the line.

You're right about the singly high but Carrie clearly is impeded by Amerson there at the start.  Looks like good offensive scheming as Jrry alluded to.  Granted I didn't see it live but I doubt Kupp was able to get that kind of separation while crossing the field.  So my best guess is he motioned and then gunned up field, and at the same time, got a pick on Carrie via Amerson (the inside WR led Amerson in that direction before turning around). And the safety wasn't able to get there.  Maybe Carrie did trip while catching up with the motion, can't say because I haven't seen the full pre snap.  Could help explain such big separation

EDIT: found a video.  Carrie tripped.....over Kupp...because he let him fly by.  Appears we didn't know who had who.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FSilverAndBlackPride%2Fvideos%2F1576164675738891%2F

1 hour ago, Silver&Black88 said:

You're right about the singly high but Carrie clearly is impeded by Amerson there at the start.  Looks like good offensive scheming as Jrry alluded to.  Granted I didn't see it live but I doubt Kupp was able to get that kind of separation while crossing the field.  So my best guess is he motioned and then gunned up field, and at the same time, got a pick on Carrie via Amerson (the inside WR led Amerson in that direction before turning around). And the safety wasn't able to get there.  Maybe Carrie did trip while catching up with the motion, can't say because I haven't seen the full pre snap.  Could help explain such big separation

EDIT: found a video.  Carrie tripped.....over Kupp...because he let him fly by.  Appears we didn't know who had who.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/video.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2FSilverAndBlackPride%2Fvideos%2F1576164675738891%2F

Carrie had Kupp in man coverage.

They hand fight at the line.

Kupp, knowing where he wants to go, pushes Carrie toward the middle of the field.

Carrie loses his footing (at the gametime glance I thought he slipped), he didn't trip over Kupp.

As he tries to recover he runs into Amerson but by that time Kupp is 5 yards away.

We knew who we had.

Amerson was manned on the outside WR.

Nelson and the LBs had the inside WR and Carrie had Kupp.

Sure, seems plausible.  But why would Carrie keep looking back and not make any real effort to get deep? Because he got beat that bad? Something just doesn't seem right.

Looking at it more, that looks like the best explanation.  Tripping after losing the hand fight.  I'll be damned . There was one time it wasn't a total busted coverage.?

6 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Sure, seems plausible.  But why would Carrie keep looking back and not make any real effort to get deep? Because he got beat that bad? Something just doesn't seem right.

Looking at it more, that looks like the best explanation.  Tripping after losing the hand fight.  I'll be damned . There was one time it wasn't a total busted coverage.?

Carrie does what he can to get back in it but he is stumbling and Kupp is 5yards away at a full run. Carrie isn't looking back at another WR in confusion. He is looking back to see if the QB has thrown the pass.

We won't go very far with defense. Its amazing how lost the secondary always looks. Greg Papa has been saying Reggie needs to make a move, don't throw this season away with this poor defense. Lee looks like a practice squad player right now. Its killing us.

2 hours ago, raidersedge said:

We won't go very far with defense. Its amazing how lost the secondary always looks. Greg Papa has been saying Reggie needs to make a move, don't throw this season away with this poor defense. Lee looks like a practice squad player right now. Its killing us.

Last year our excuse was not having MEJ and Aldon.

Now I see some clamoring for two rookie DBs to make everything better. Fact of the matter is, we're just a bad defensive team. Dennis Allen and Jason Tarver had a much less talented defense playing way better than this crap we've seen the last two years. It's Khalil Mack or bust like JDR said.

Speaking of JDR, if this season plays out and its once again our defense holding us back, I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go. He might not be the coach to get this team to the next level.

He might be our John Fox.

A handful of thoughts:

This team looks pretty much exactly like the one from last year. Bad D, Great O, bad depth on D. Stronger at TE seems to be the only major change. It will fall on Carr and Mack again to take us wherever we are going.

I take issue with people raving about Karl Joseph thus far. I really like his tackling and play against the run. Thus far, he has shown no plus ability at all against the pass, on the man or the ball. It definitely concerns me. As of right now he is strictly a box safety and at his size and from what he showed in college, that's a disappointment.

Rookie crop looks entirely average if not mildly disappointing. Taking into account the top two are not on the field at all. Vanderdoes looks solid enough but no world beater as some over-enthusiasts might be inclined to hype him up to be. Aside from Luani, few if any real flashes. Including UDFAs. It's very early, but early returns are nothing exceptional. No Richards in there from what I see.

Don't get the Borders hype. He was a wreck last week, this week a ghost. All the other buried CB guys like Durden, Hamilton, McDonald have all outplayed him in the games. Humes is the only one worse thus far. Don't see how he can possibly make this team without showing up in games. 

Hester looks to be an actual rusher who can move well and slip blocks. Latroy Lewis may have just exploited a matchup last week. We will see. There is proof in the consistent ability to perform. I was really hoping for Lewis to be some guy out of nowhere. We desperately need that 3rd down speed rusher element. Even Mack amazing as he is, is not at all a speed rusher. We do not have even one potential guy for the role, much less someone to fill it. Calhoun and Cowser are not it. Calhoun is a wreck, Cowser is at best a solid all around backup, but will likely never be a dangerous rusher.

Autry remains our best defensive backup. I like him, but overall that's not a good thing. D depth is bad. Secondary depth looks to be better than last year with Luani and the two top picks, but our starter group still rots. Nelson, Amerson, Smith, Joseph is a bad group. None of whom can play the pass exceptionally at this point in time, their main task. So imagine how much of a stretch is it to watch them play this way?

Contrary to my initial thinking about it after the draft signings, no UDFA WR has a shot at making this roster this year (Whitney, Hatcher, Zamora, or Brent). It should and will likely be Holton again. He can at least play somewhat and is good on special teams. Doubt Mickens makes it either. Just not special, nor are any of the others. Holton is more useful than all of them.

No major issues with the tackles in 2 games without Penn. Maybe the rookies are looking like decent picks? Way too early to tell. Still want Penn back, but the tackles have held up OK which might mean we will have good depth there? The less you hear about a tackle, the better it is. So far they have been a very quiet story.

I don't understand why this staff gets stuck on players the way they do. They hype up guys like Silbermann, Alexander and are slow to change their thinking. And yet Silbermann has got beaten badly numerous times in 2 games now. Alexander is often getting beat or taking penalties. They did the same with Heeney. Doing it to some degree with Ellis. Did the same with others too. They've done that with essentially the entire LB corps. At least at some point they recognize being wrong. I just do not understand what they see in the first place. 

45 minutes ago, latinraraiderfan 3 said:

so like i said like 7 years ago, we are not going to win  anithing with reggie ,

keep the hate, time  always said who was right  :ph34r:

? here we go again, every time we lose. 

Archived