Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

1 hour ago, Danand said:

I think if we bench joe now, we destroy his trade value. Of course there is a risk playing him as he could get injured, but letting him finish the season and if he plays at the same rate as of now, it would make sense for another team to move a 3rd for him and give him a 2-3 year contract renewal.

I'd trade Joe for a bag of peanuts if we get outta that contact

1 hour ago, M.10.E said:

I'd trade Joe for a bag of peanuts if we get outta that contact

Yea, that's not a thing. The signing bonus portion of his contract is a sunk cost for us and would not be carried over to a team that traded for him. He's got basically around a 20M a year salary for up to (at the team's discretion) 3 more years. With a salary cap at near $180M and likely to rise, Flacco's contract is not on the top 20 list of concerns we should have. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco-4000/

Alex Smith got traded for a quality young corner and a 3rd round pick AND he needed a fresh 4/$94M with $55M contract that is a lot more of a commitment

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

So yea, I absolutely consider Flacco to have positive value. If a contender with a bad QB situation could give him a better set of protection/receivers/running game, he'd have interest. Or even someone who want a stopgap, competent starter, like the Cardinals tried to do with Bradford at similar cost or Broncos with Keenum.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

We all know what's about to happen.

We'll beat the Bengals coming off of our Bye, as we've done to teams essentially every season under Harbaugh, and then we'll crush the Raiders. They are the worst team in football and seem to be actively fighting to get the #1 overall pick. 

That'll put us at 6-5. Optimism will be back and everyone will build up another Flacco-Ryan meeting. 

We've seen this same story so many times. 

We aren't going to lose to the Browns twice. +1

History tells us the Bucs match up is a trap game. ?+/-?

We have to beat the Falcons, Chiefs, and Chargers.  \_:|_/

We're two games out in the Wild Card Race and three games out from the AFC North Crown. 

Here we go again.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yea, that's not a thing. The signing bonus portion of his contract is a sunk cost for us and would not be carried over to a team that traded for him. He's got basically around a 20M a year salary for up to (at the team's discretion) 3 more years. With a salary cap at near $180M and likely to rise, Flacco's contract is not on the top 20 list of concerns we should have. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/joe-flacco-4000/

Alex Smith got traded for a quality young corner and a 3rd round pick AND he needed a fresh 4/$94M with $55M contract that is a lot more of a commitment

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/washington-redskins/alex-smith-3337/

So yea, I absolutely consider Flacco to have positive value. If a contender with a bad QB situation could give him a better set of protection/receivers/running game, he'd have interest. Or even someone who want a stopgap, competent starter, like the Cardinals tried to do with Bradford at similar cost or Broncos with Keenum.

Unfortunately the QB market isn't the best right now. If we want to move on from Flacco, we have to hope for a Teddy Bridgewater type of situation, where a contender suddenly has a need for a stable veteran.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

Unfortunately the QB market isn't the best right now. If we want to move on from Flacco, we have to hope for a Teddy Bridgewater type of situation, where a contender suddenly has a need for a stable veteran.

you know Elway likes strong armed QBs. Jags are possible. Bucs seem to run out of patience with Winston. Dolphins maybe.

there are quite a few teams more or less able to content for playoofs with a capable QB so i def. see a market for Flacco.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Flacco's reputation around the league isn't great. Not sure what kind of market as a starter he'll have. Maybe as a backup.

i really do believe you guys are selling him low. i mean, Sam Bradford signed for 20m per. Sam MF Bradford. Alex Smith was traded for a promising CB and a 3rd round pick. Flacco is a Superbowl MVP and should net more than those two. i can't see him cut w/o any return, he'll be traded for valuable assets. not saying it'll be 1st round pick(s) but let's get real.

1 minute ago, berlin calling said:

i really do believe you guys are selling him low. i mean, Sam Bradford signed for 20m per. Sam MF Bradford. Alex Smith was traded for a promising CB and a 3rd round pick. Flacco is a Superbowl MVP and should net more than those two. i can't see him cut w/o any return, he'll be traded for valuable assets. not saying it'll be 1st round pick(s) but let's get real.

Because teams SOMEHOW viewed Bradford as a potential upside guy. People know where Flacco's ceiling is. Alex Smith is much better than Flacco and has been for years now. Eli Manning is also a Superbowl MVP but I guarantee you if the Giants tried to trade him teams would laugh. Same thing with Flacco and his contract. I absolutely see Flacco getting cut or traded away for peanuts to be some team's backup.

10 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

to each his own i guess.

ever checked Bradfords stats? that guy is in the league for 9 years and has done exactly nothing.

Alex Smith is (much?!) better than Flacco? at what exactly? dink and dunk? actually would fit in great with MMs offense right? cmon man.

Bradford is the greatest con artist in the NFL. But much of that con is because injuries kept giving him the excuse that teams just hadn't seen his true potential yet. Flacco doesn't have that. He's got 10 years of playing experience to show teams what his value is - and it's not good.

Yes, Alex Smith is much better than Joe Flacco. That's not even objectively arguable.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FlacJo00.htm

Just now, berlin calling said:

have you been drinking since sunday?

No, but I should be.

both have nearly identical stat lines for their career.

Smith has better stats in pretty much every category and some of them aren't even close (like INT%). And you can't say it's because he dinks and dunks because his TD% is also better.

one of them has an all time great playoff run to show off. it's not Smith.

That's literally all Flacco has on his entire career resume at this point. I know the popular thing here is to trash Alex Smith, but the guy's been a rock-solid QB for at least over 5 straight years now...What he did in his early days in SF is completely gone. The stats are going to be even more skewed if we took Flacco's most recent 8 years and compared them to Smith's most recent 8 years.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Smith has better stats in pretty much every category and some of them aren't even close (like INT%). And you can't say it's because he dinks and dunks because his TD% is also better.

let's just ignore that Smith had Gore, Crabtree, Davis in their prime in SF.  Charles, Bowe, Kelce in their prime in KC.

6 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

let's just ignore that Smith had Gore, Crabtree, Davis in their prime in SF.  Charles, Bowe, Kelce in their prime in KC.

By this argument, no QB could ever be better than Flacco because Flacco's supporting cast has always been trash and other QB's have had decent targets at least one year of their career.