Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

What do you expect? Most of the time when we're throwing to our WR's it's with them standing still. How many times do you see Flacco throwing to guys who are actually moving? Also keep in mind that our best offensive play this past week as the dig route to John Brown that he nearly took to the house. Amazing what happens when you give the ball to your playmakers in space while they're already moving instead of throwing curl routes all day.

yep, i didn't call out the players right? its scheming, forever stuck in mediocre revisionary offensive playcalling.

11 hours ago, berlin calling said:

yep, i didn't call out the players right? its scheming, forever stuck in mediocre revisionary offensive playcalling.

I don't get it. We've had so many offensive coordinators, and even had Trestman who should've been more of a modern play caller and yet the more things change with our passing concepts, the more they stay the same.

Solid read on John Brown-

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2802398-smoke-rising-how-john-brown-went-from-cardinals-bust-to-ravens-breakout-star?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

-Even his high school coach, Bobby McCray, didn't think Smoke's passion could carry the day against better competition.

"When college teams came in, the head coach used to speak about my lack of size," Smoke says. "I was too slow. I wasn't strong enough. Things like that. He used to tell me, to my face. You supposed to be my coach. D-1 was a dream of mine. I was like, you could have told those people how hard I worked

"By [McCray] telling them that, it made them back out. That motivated me even more."-

The article touches on a lot of known things about Brown, his affliction, his brother, etc. I didn't know the above though^^.

If I found out my HS coach was doing that to me, I'd fly into his office and stomp him out. Props to Smoke for keeping his head on straight, and his eyes on the goal. He's killing it for us and I hope we get word about an extension real real soon.

3 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Solid read on John Brown-

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2802398-smoke-rising-how-john-brown-went-from-cardinals-bust-to-ravens-breakout-star?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

-Even his high school coach, Bobby McCray, didn't think Smoke's passion could carry the day against better competition.

"When college teams came in, the head coach used to speak about my lack of size," Smoke says. "I was too slow. I wasn't strong enough. Things like that. He used to tell me, to my face. You supposed to be my coach. D-1 was a dream of mine. I was like, you could have told those people how hard I worked

"By [McCray] telling them that, it made them back out. That motivated me even more."-

The article touches on a lot of known things about Brown, his affliction, his brother, etc. I didn't know the above though^^.

If I found out my HS coach was doing that to me, I'd fly into his office and stomp him out. Props to Smoke for keeping his head on straight, and his eyes on the goal. He's killing it for us and I hope we get word about an extension real real soon.

Yeah that’s a crappy thing for his coach to do. Though in the end it mightve been a blessing in disguise. Big schools usually come with bigger hits and with his condition that might’ve shortened his career. So in a strange way, giving the route he took, this might ultimately have been a better path.

So. Flacco is now tied with Luck for the most passing attempts. Among the top ten in passing attempts the only one with a worse completion percentage is Blake Bortles. Luck is the only QB to average less yards per attempt. 

Joe is competing a relatively low amount of his attempts, and those attempts are getting shorter and shorter down the field. This is not a recipe for success despite his generally good (more like better than years past, which isn't saying much) season.

And no, I'm not putting all the team's ups and downs on Flacco. He's still a part of them though. Marty needs to get it together too. That's a big one.

14 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

So. Flacco is now tied with Luck for the most passing attempts. Among the top ten in passing attempts the only one with a worse completion percentage is Blake Bortles. Luck is the only QB to average less yards per attempt. 

Joe is competing a relatively low amount of his attempts, and those attempts are getting shorter and shorter down the field. This is not a recipe for success despite his generally good (more like better than years past, which isn't saying much) season.

And no, I'm not putting all the team's ups and downs on Flacco. He's still a part of them though. Marty needs to get it together too. That's a big one.

It doesn't help that we have no running game besides Lamar Jackson's package, but overall I agree with you. We need to throw less and run more, and generally just be more balanced and use more play action.

7 hours ago, coordinator0 said:

So much goes into that number though. Aaron Rodgers is 11th in Pass Attempts and his Completion % is 61.3, that's .2 better than Flacco's.

The number isn't good but it also isn't Low % = Problem QB. You have to crack that number open. Look at Joe's %s from our contender years. Even in 2014, 62.1. It's not my biggest concern. 

Drops and Batted Passes alone account for a huge dip in the %.

Joe is throwing the ball fine. I still have some issues with his play, like the batted balls and at times he's forcing things trying to make plays. Look at this last game- On his first pick no one is open and he's waiting and waiting to throw the ball away. Then he kinda sees Buck coming open a bit and unloads this weird half throw away/half chance type ball that ends up getting picked. That's the stuff I have issue with, but as a pure thrower Joe has really returned to form. 

Marty is the issue. 

All we can do is hope he gets it together. Maybe the image of Hayden Hurst getting an easy downfield TD, albeit against a 2nd string D, will stick in his brain and he'll actually start using him in such a manner consistently. 

Joe could certainly play better, and even if some rating was adjusted to the dropped passes, he wouldn't be a top QB anyway - but he is good enough. The first interception against the Panthers might be him looking for a receiver coming towards the sideline, but when the receiver was knocked down by the linebacker the throw seemed like it was directed at no one.

The second was equally bad as it was both a poor decision and bad throw. I don't think Joe has had that many of them this season, and every QB who is not in the top 5 has those decisions/throws.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

Rams cut Jamon Brown to make room for Fowler. Sign him Ozzie. Yanda can't play forever and who knows how the next draft will play out.

Free agent at the end of this season. Can't spend too much money on him/someone else if they're only on the roster to be the backup until Yanda retires. Signing him now is fine, but if he can't play anywhere else then the Ravens can't really do anything with him going forward.