Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

4 hours ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’m still very pro Flacco. But when you draft a QB you have a window where you can build a super talented roster because you aren’t paying the starting QB. So love Flacco but the Jackson era needs to start next year

Meh. I think if Flacco continues playing at a high level then we can start the LJ8 era two years down the road.

That said, you still might be right in such a case. Trading Flacco after a great season could potentially net high draft compensation. With a down QB year the Tennessee Titans could make sense. They have a strong roster, good defense, and they’re in a somewhat smaller market where Flacco could thrive without the pressure of a national stage (like he might see with a team like the Giants).

I’m just not sure what type of value Flacco might be able to attract. I’m also not sure what type of value I’d be willing for us to part ways with him for.

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Meh. I think if Flacco continues playing at a high level then we can start the LJ8 era two years down the road.

That said, you still might be right in such a case. Trading Flacco after a great season could potentially net high draft compensation. With a down QB year the Tennessee Titans could make sense. They have a strong roster, good defense, and they’re in a somewhat smaller market where Flacco could thrive without the pressure of a national stage (like he might see with a team like the Giants).

I’m just not sure what type of value Flacco might be able to attract. I’m also not sure what type of value I’d be willing for us to part ways with him for.

If Flacco does have a full good season, and a great offer turns up next off season, it might be a cost/benefit type scenario, where we have to take a chance on LJ8 as an unknown, because the reward we get from Flacco is too great.

What did Alex Smith go for?

The "unique" nature of Flacco and his success will prevent us from ever getting big compensation for him imo. He's a headache...then surprise we're used to, but I'm sure would make other clubs uncomfortable. Besides, if he has any kind of postseason success it would be insane to trade him. You don't get rid of proven QBs. 

We did the right thing. Flacco is getting older, injuries have stacked and his play as a result had grown more inconsistent. So we drafted Lamar Jackson. He's a low cost-high reward shot at a possible QBOTF, but surefire high level #2, X factor play maker, and Flacco motivator/insurance. 

We're in a great situation. Flacco's chemistry with the new weapons will only continue to grow. I think Brown will be signed to a 4 year deal, and it wouldn't shock me if Snead ends up being a Ravens lifer from here on out. Hayden Hurst and Mark Andrews will be the new Gronk & Hernandez. Crabtree is Crabtree. For as improved as the offense is this year, it will be even better next year. Jackson gets to sit and grow mentally & physically, while all the while settling into an expanding role as an electric X Factor. 

It's all purple sunshine fellas.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

What did Alex Smith go for?

Kendall Fuller + a 3rd rounder.

Tyrod was traded for a 3rd

Teddy Bridgewater was traded with a 6th for a 3rd as well.

If Flacco plays well enough to garner trade interest I'd imagine it would probably be for something similar, although I can't think of too many teams that might be looking for a veteran stop gap (which is what Flacco would essentially be)

The thing is, if Flacco with this team goes to win another playoff game, a 3. round pick seems low reward for a proven veteran.

As Dreamkid mentioned, Flaccos injuries forced us to draft Lamar Jackson. If Flacco can keep up and elevate his play in the playoffs which he has proven several times, then it is still a great situation with Lamar as a backup next year also.

33 minutes ago, Danand said:

The thing is, if Flacco with this team goes to win another playoff game, a 3. round pick seems low reward for a proven veteran.

As Dreamkid mentioned, Flaccos injuries forced us to draft Lamar Jackson. If Flacco can keep up and elevate his play in the playoffs which he has proven several times, then it is still a great situation with Lamar as a backup next year also.

Also, even though his contract has been cited as nauseum as an albatross, it would probably actually yield positive surplus value to an acquiring team. “How can this be?!?!?” You ask. Acquiring team would be free of the signing bonus amortization portion of his contract and could go year to year with him on salaries of 18m (2019), 20m (2020) and 24m (2021), which is incredibly reasonable. 

On 10/19/2018 at 12:26 PM, DontTazeMeBro said:

I’m still very pro Flacco. But when you draft a QB you have a window where you can build a super talented roster because you aren’t paying the starting QB. So love Flacco but the Jackson era needs to start next year

a super talented team with no one who can throw the ball....

1 hour ago, BareYourTeeth said:

I had a nightmare last night Tucker went on I.R. and we had to sign some hipster with tattoos, piercings, and a super Saiyan haircut. 

Guess I drank too much milk yesterday.

We have Kaare Vedvik as an option, and danish kicker Simon Mathiesen is still out there unsigned. He is one of the most accurate kickers in college football within the 50 yard line or so.

• Like 1