Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

4 hours ago, paraven said:

we got the talent to make a decent run this year and collins has proved so far this year that last year was an anomaly. Trade jackson now while he has value for a rb who can run after contact and scored 12 tds last season. Lamar Jackson isnt helping this team win now

So 4 games invalidates 14 games?  A much smaller sample size shows that a much larger sample size was an aberration?  Got it.

The "Phenom or Bust" mindset within the fandom is so embarrassing.  

-If a player doesn't make attention grabbing hyper impact plays, so plain to see even the most uneducated fans can register them, on little to 0 snaps. Then they are a bust or wildly disappointing. 

"Tyus Bowser isn't making an impact"

"Looks like Bowser is another bust of a 2nd Round Pick"

It's not coming from this forum obviously, but it's pretty much everywhere else. 

I don't know if it's a severe lack of patience, where fans feel they need to come to some sort of conclusion on a player immediately. A desire to have a take on something, to be heard, regardless of how retarded/useless the thoughts are. Or just a general lack of intelligence. Either way, this nonsense is all too pervasive. 

Bowser is an extremely versatile, super athletic, high motor player and his talents are incredibly valuable. Ideal deployment would see Tyus Off-Ball on early downs. Taking advantage of his feel for Zone Coverage and ability to shadow Backs and TEs in Man, as well as his ability to bottle shifty carriers in space with his strong COD. Then in Sub Packages he can be part of the Pass Rush Rotation where his speed, explosion, and bend can overwhelm Tackles. 

Why aren't we playing him? I don't know. Judon is playing poorly, and with how often Wink dropped our OLBs against the Steelers it makes me question why Bowser isn't playing even more.

It's obvious nothing is going to change. We'll just have to wait until next year when ZDS is gone and things are opened up more. That, an underwhelming season from Judon, and another big camp from Bowser should finally get our 2nd Round Pick some significant playing time.

Here's one of Bowser's 5 Snaps against the steelers-

-When I was reviewing the game this play stood out to me. Watch Bowser knock #78 off balance, recognize the moving the pocket and work back, then fly down the field from the LOS to put the stamp on Marlon's tackle. It's excellent work and hustle from Bowser.

- There's plenty else to take away from this play too. Watch Kenny Young destroy #30 and push him into fatso, forcing a poor throw. One of his multiple pressures on the night.

- It's also a great example of being too aggressive. If Wink had just dropped Mosley, instead of sending him and Young, then there's no wide open receiver and Kenny gets the Sack.

Bowser was on the field rushing on the Steelers' only TD of the game. In fact he was the defender most responsible for the TD on that play. He fell/got knocked to the ground and totally pinned by the LT; 100% eliminated from the play. Ben saw it and knew he had a ton of time on the play and sat in the pocket. Brown had already finished his curl route and failed to get open, but upon seeing Ben staying in the pocket, turned around and went upfield to the end zone. Humphrey stayed pretty darn close throughout that, but Brown made an amazing play to haul in the catch. That second route doesn't develop if there is actually a pass rusher that Ben had to worry about on his blind side, but Bowser was on the ground the whole time.

Edit: Going to save myself the time of replying to someone accusing me of saying that makes Bowser a bust. It was one snap that I noticed that he made a very negative play, IMO. Wouldn't have surprised me if that influenced his rep count later. I think we are seeing Tim Williams getting the snap count increase he's earning.

Edited by wackywabbit

10 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Ben saw it and knew he had a ton of time on the play and sat in the pocket.

Bowser absolutely was removed from that play, but the above is an exaggeration. The rep was unfortunate but also atypical. Sucks for Bowser and the team.

We'll see with the reps. I honestly don't think Bowser has the ability to influence his snap count with good or bad performances. He'll get the scraps regardless. Williams has outplayed Judon in every single game. If we don't see a major shift soon we should be concerned. 

My take is, that players drafted in the 1 and 2 round are either players with tremendous upside or a pro ready skillset.

These players are supposed to be a teams highest skilled players and should be either full time starters or key contributors in a heavy rotation (pass rushers and skill players). This role they should have by their second season, as they should be talented enough to find playing time.

Especially for 2. Round picks which teams has for 4 years have to make a more immediate impact, as they don’t have the 5th year option.

The Ravens history with 2. Round picks is beginning to look very bad if Bowser doesn’t begin to make a greater impact this season and while the bust certificate is a bit early, his impact is something to worry about, especially when he makes the mistakes he does on special teams.

I'm not sure what to make of Bowser at this point. He really flashed last year but Pees absolutely refused to use him or Tim Williams at all.

This year Tim Williams has emerged but we're still reluctant to really give him any snaps, and Bowser is coming back from a groin injury and just sees no snaps on defense that can come close to making an impact.

I don't know why we pick dudes in the 2nd or 3rd round and then treat them like project players OR if they are project players, why we're picking them in the 2nd or 3rd round. I want to see Bowser get more playing time, because his athleticism is truly amazing and he and Tim Williams on the field at the same time adds so much speed to the OLB rush that we just don't have elsewhere.

Not exactly a bastion of neutrality there, but you know what, I'll take it. It's not true in any way, but I'll take it.

The Ravens are the only team to rank in the top 10 in offense, defense and special teams efficiency, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

And really this is simply due to the Thursday night game where the Rams' defense got lit up by Minnesota. Their ST's are struggling because their Justin Tucker is injured. I fully expect those numbers to come back to the median over time.

The Jaguars (3-1) have the NFL's top-ranked defense, but Jacksonville's offense is averaging 22 points (22nd in the league) and could struggle to hit that mark without injured running back Leonard Fournette.

The Jaguars are actually better without Leonard Fournette, in terms of offensive efficiency and PPG.

The undefeated Rams (4-0) rank in the top 10 in offense and defense, but they're having troubles replacing injured kicker Greg Zuerlein, and their defensive ranking seems inflated. Los Angeles' yards per play allowed is 22nd in the NFL.

Right. Their ST's would normally be top 5 if Zuerlein was playing, and if anything their defensive rankings are not inflated, but highly deflated because of the MIN game.

I would say the Rams are still the most complete team in football, with us being #2 and Jaguars being #3. I don't trust our offense to put up consistent points like the Rams do, but I do think we have a better defense than the Rams, though not by much. Our ST's is a wash.

10 hours ago, sp6488 said:

Nobody other than Justin Tucker is any team’s “Justin Tucker.”

Yup. 90% Tucker vs 83% GZ career kicking, with Tucker playing in a division known for worse conditions and having an additional 50 career field goals to this point. What’s more the level of reliability knowing your kicker is 6/7 seasons above 90% vs only 2/7 is also a big deal. One is so automatic you can comfortably take a bathroom break when he’s kicking, the other is a bathroom break only when you’re up by a touchdown already. One is Eminem and the other is MGK. ?

• Like 2