Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

So quick question fellas… When Marcus Williams comes back what do we do with geno stone… He’s playing extremely well and Chuck has been iffy at best… do we send Chuck to the bench and keep geno in or do we keep in Chuck… Kyle getting hurt yesterday could be big but if it’s a minor injury and he is healthy by the time Marcus comes back somebody has to lose snaps and quite honestly chuck appears to be the odd man out… of course if Kyle is done then we will have another scenario… but if all are healthy say by December what do y’all think we do… 

4 hours ago, bmorecareful said:

So quick question fellas… When Marcus Williams comes back what do we do with geno stone… He’s playing extremely well and Chuck has been iffy at best… do we send Chuck to the bench and keep geno in or do we keep in Chuck… Kyle getting hurt yesterday could be big but if it’s a minor injury and he is healthy by the time Marcus comes back somebody has to lose snaps and quite honestly chuck appears to be the odd man out… of course if Kyle is done then we will have another scenario… but if all are healthy say by December what do y’all think we do… 

IDK. The situation has become very hard to predict with the addition of Roquan. He and Queen played 100% of snaps yesterday. Hamilton's possible injury also throws a wrench into things with how much we've deployed big nickel packages as of late. Then you have Clark currently wearing the green dot...

Interesting situation for sure.

Gun to my head, Geno goes back to rotation/role status. Despite probably earning/deserving the start over Clark with his play from the last month+, it's hard to see this coaching staff making that call. Harbs typically favors seniority and continuity.

1 hour ago, DreamKid said:

IDK. The situation has become very hard to predict with the addition of Roquan. He and Queen played 100% of snaps yesterday. Hamilton's possible injury also throws a wrench into things with how much we've deployed big nickel packages as of late. Then you have Clark currently wearing the green dot...

Interesting situation for sure.

Gun to my head, Geno goes back to rotation/role status. Despite probably earning/deserving the start over Clark with his play from the last month+, it's hard to see this coaching staff making that call. Harbs typically favors seniority and continuity.

Man I hope this isn’t the case.. Chuck was probably the worst defender on the field yesterday… costly penalties and mishaps in places you just wouldn’t expect from a veteran guy… Stone has just been rock solid and Hamilton was probably having his best game yesterday before injury… Williams is without a doubt our best safety and honestly a wrist injury should have no impact on his coverage skills upon return.. it’s these type of decisions that great head coaches have no issues making… I just hope harbaugh does whats best for the team and doesn’t have misplaced loyalty to a guy who isn’t the best option moving forward 

1 hour ago, bmorecareful said:

Man I hope this isn’t the case.. Chuck was probably the worst defender on the field yesterday… costly penalties and mishaps in places you just wouldn’t expect from a veteran guy… Stone has just been rock solid and Hamilton was probably having his best game yesterday before injury… Williams is without a doubt our best safety and honestly a wrist injury should have no impact on his coverage skills upon return.. it’s these type of decisions that great head coaches have no issues making… I just hope harbaugh does whats best for the team and doesn’t have misplaced loyalty to a guy who isn’t the best option moving forward 

I completely agree.

Though from a Devils Advocate perspective, maybe keeping Clark out there is best from the perspective of perhaps garnering us some trade value for him this upcoming offseason. We have too many capable to great safety options for Clark to be so underwhelming. He looks checked out whereas PQ was seemingly revitalized by the extra competition at his spot.

15 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

I completely agree.

Though from a Devils Advocate perspective, maybe keeping Clark out there is best from the perspective of perhaps garnering us some trade value for him this upcoming offseason. We have too many capable to great safety options for Clark to be so underwhelming. He looks checked out whereas PQ was seemingly revitalized by the extra competition at his spot.

I think Clark felt slighted initially because he was our best safety prior to this season and we brought in two high profile guys at his position and being as though Hamilton struggled he felt like he had leverage in the situation.. But as the season has went on it’s become obvious that he is our 4th best option… He can remain the starter but his snap count should decrease going forward and I think he sees the writing in the wall

5 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Roquan has Unlocked Queen. 

Tbf we haven’t yet played an elite passing attack with this tandem. That’ll be the true test.

But yeah, with this duo, no to get too far ahead, but I feel quite confident with our chances against teams like the Titans or Patriots come playoff time and being able shutdown their run game and force them to have to make plays vs this secondary.

• Like 2

Some random ravens thoughts:

• I hope the team doesn't let Houston walk next year without a relatively competitive offer just because they think he's going to decline due to age. He hasn't yet, so keep him as long as he's productive. Pass rusher is one of the positions in the NFL where year after year you see "old" players still producing like their younger selves...there's a reason guys like Bruce Matthews, Reggie White, Kevin Greene, Von Miller, etc. could still get 10+ sacks a year in their mid-late 30s. It's because the position relies on technique and a pass rush plan, and those things don't just disappear. You only need to be athletic enough to beat the OT in front of you in the 3-3.5 seconds from snap to throw. Houston is a difference maker for us and it'd be foolish to let him walk next year IMO, especially if it's banking on a breakout from a guy like Oweh.
  • Ben Powers playing like a legit + LG this year takes the 2019 draft from "top 3 worst in franchise history" to just "pretty disappointing", which is a positive development for EDC...that draft would have been all time bad but it's been somewhat salvaged with the Hollywood trade and Ben Powers and Justice Hill contributing this year.
  • I would need to look at the official snap #s but I can't help but think Nick Boyle is a wasted gameday activation at this point in his career. It sucks but its obvious he's never been the same after that knee injury and I hardly ever see him out there anymore - like 3-4 snaps a game - and when I do he's typically getting pushed around. Once Kolar has a few more weeks under his belt I can't imagine why Boyle would ever be active again if all of Andrews/Likely/Oliver/Kolar are healthy.

4 hours ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Patrick Queen is a pretty unlikable guy. 

He's the first one to block anyone that criticized his play. Yet, he's the first to big himself up or throw shade like this. 

It's not a great look but I think a lot of us felt this way seeing leaving 6th and 7th string corners on an island against Davante Adams last year. 

on another note - it would be really really really great if we could find a way to land Odell Beckham Jr. for a playoff run. Guys like James Proche are negatively impacting the game when they are on the field

• Like 1

Random but with Mike Evans being near 30 and the Bucs likely seeing their last iteration of the unit they have, I’m sure they’ll be looking to rebuild.

I think Evans should be cheap enough to fit under the cap with what he’s got remaining on his deal.

He seems to fit the classic tough veteran receiver type that we typically target. What’s more he’d give Lamar an ideal target and free Bateman up to (hopefully) have a breakout year.

I think a 3rd + 3rd/2nd conditional pick could be enticing enough to get the job done.