Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

6 hours ago, Danand said:

I have a strong feeling Cowboys was interested. They have the same typer of punter/kicker taking over after Bailey, so Kaare Vedvik fits the profile.

Now I just hope he will be ok and doesn't have long term damage, and that he will not be forgotten by the league and superseeded by new kickers entering the league.

Koch is a really good player for us, and while he could play several more years and shows no sign of declining, he will be 37 by next season and he will round 3 million on his contract/cap hit + he will leave a significant less dead cap if cut. Kaare Vedvik could be a potential heir next season if he is stashed on IR

Personally I'm in no rush to get rid of the holder Tucker has had his entire career in the NFL. 

Are the Ravens about to break the NFL sack record?

Tim Williams: 13.5 Sacks- Tim can burn any Tackle in this league. He's an explosive and refined pass rusher that is about to be unleashed on the 31 other teams. 

Terrell Suggs: 12.5 Sacks- By all accounts Suggs is in better shape this year then he was last season when he turned in 11 Sacks. I almost predicted bigger totals for Sizzle, he was close to so many more last year. He's a legend and will prove that fact once again this season.

Matt Judon: 11 Sacks- All signs are pointing to a breakout season for Judon. He had 4 Sacks his Rookie season, 8 Sacks his Sophomore season, so does he hit 12 this season? No, but he comes close. I'm betting on 11. 

Za'Darius Smith: 6.5 Sacks- Inside or Outside, Smith brings the heat. He's in a contract year and is looking like our new Pernell McPhee. He was 2nd on the team in Hurries last year behind Suggs and had QB hit totals up there with some of the game's best. Expect him to show out this year and earn a big contract from another club.

Willie Henry: 5.5 Sacks- Even with some games missed, I'm betting on big numbers from Willie. Henry has been designated a breakout player by his teammates and the media, for good reason. He's considered our top interior rusher and could be an up and coming DT in this league. His burst off the line is no joke for a DI.

Tyus Bowser: 5 Sacks- He had 3 sacks in a season where he barely played. Now with a DC who favors rotation, expect Tyus to show why he is a future superstar for us.

Brent Urban: 4 Sacks- Urban is our best disruption piece on the interior. He can quickly reset an OL trying to pass or run block. If he's healthy even for a little bit, good things will happen.

Zach Sieler: 4 Sacks- Annnnnd, I don't think Urban will stay healthy lol. Enter Sieler the insanely gifted 7th round 5T out of Ferris State. Likely he would replace Urban as the starting 5T or at least receive a huge increase in snaps. He has a rare ability to get after the QB for a player his size and it will continue to show in the regular season.

CJ Mosley: 4 Sacks- We've seen it throughout the preseason and will continue to see it. Wink is going to get interior pressure by any means necessary. Expect Mosley who is an underrated blitzer to match his previous career best in Sacks.

Chris Wormley: 3.5 Sacks- Worm is a great athlete and has a strong toolbox as a pass rusher. He can get up field in a hurry and should announce himself as a player for us this season.

Kenny Young: 3 Sacks- Young's speed on blitzes is impressive, he surprised a lot of people with this aspect of his game during the preseason. Wink will enjoy firing him at offenses. 

Michael Pierce: 2.5 Sacks- Pierce looks primed for a dominant season, maybe one where he proves a level of superiority over Brandon Williams. Look out.

Tavon Young: 2 Sacks- Wink brought a lot of CB blitzes during the preseason. Young will hit home multiple times.

1 Sack: Chuck Clark, Tony Jefferson, Patrick Ricard, Eric Weddle, Marlon Humphrey, Patrick Onwuasor, Brandon Williams and Anthony Levine Sr..

Broken down by positional group the totals look like this:

EDGE: 48.5 Sacks from 5 different players.   *I included ZDS in this EDGE group.

DE: 11.5 Sacks from 3 different players.

DT: 6.5 Sacks from 2 different players.

NT: 3.5 Sacks from 2 different players. 

ILB: 8 Sacks from 3 different players.

CB: 3 Sacks from 2 different players.

S: 4 Sacks from 4 different players.

That's 85 Sacks from 21 different players. The Single Season Team Sack Record is 72 from the Chicago Bears in '84.

Take 10 Sacks away and we still break the record. 

Take 30 Sacks away and we tie the Jaguars total of 55 from last season.

Take 40 Sacks away and we still beat our totals from last season.

Last year we had 41 Sacks from 13 different players.

2017 Totals      

EDGE: 25.5 Sacks from 4 different players.

DE: 0

DT: 3.5 Sacks from 1 player.

NT: 1.5 Sacks from 2 players.

ILB: 2 Sacks from 2 different players.

CB: 0

S: 8.5 Sacks from 4 different players.

*2 players from the 2017 totals are no longer with the team. NT Carl Davis 0.5 Sacks and S Lardarius Webb 2 Sacks.

Projected Increase from 2017 to 2018 Production

*Universal Influences(UI) for all of these estimates include- 1. An Improved Coverage Unit,  2. Improved Play Calling/Defensive Tactics,  3. An Improved Offense.

*Major Positional Influences(MPI) are the core points of logic supporting the estimated increase/decrease in production at the specific position groups.

EDGE: 25.5/4 to 48.5/5  (+23/1)   MPI: The addition of Tim Williams and Tyus Bowser to the EDGE Rotation. A year 2-3 leap from Matt Judon. A year 1-2 leap from Tyus Bowser and Tim Williams. A Contract year and Prime year leap from Za'Darius Smith.

DE: 0/0  to 11.5/3  (+11.5/3)   MPI: The health of Brent Urban. The addition of Chris Wormley and Zach Sieler to the DL Rotation.

DT: 0/0  to 6.5/2  (+6.5/2)   MPI: A year 2-3 leap from Willie Henry. A year 1-2 leap from Patrick Ricard. 

NT: 1.5/2  to 3.5/2  (+2/0)   MPI: A prime year leap from Michael Pierce. 

ILB: 2/2  to  8/3  (+6/1)  MPI: Addition of Kenny Young. Rebound, Prime, and Contract Year leap from CJ Mosley.

CB: 0/0  to  3/2  (+3/2)  MPI: The return of Tavon Young.

S: 8.5/4  to  4/4  (-4.5/0)  MPI: 2017's Sack production from our Safeties doesn't seem sustainable. 

We'll see. It's a lot of production to live up to, but I'm confident this defense is going to put up huge numbers.  Tim Williams Truthers. Rotation Radicals. EDGE Extremists. Gather your strength, the season is upon us. Let's see if all these pieces and Wink's coaching can live up to their billing.

Hey everyone I’m new to the forum and going to the game this weekend. Not my first time to a game I usually try to catch at least one a year in person. This is my first time spending the weekend in Baltimore. I was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas of places to see or visit while I’m here. Are there any kickoff parties at any bars? Sorry if this wasent the place to ask this. Excited to get into great discussion with everyone on plethora of topics. Thanks in advance

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, RavensFC said:

Sorry if this wasent the place to ask this. Excited to get into great discussion with everyone on plethora of topics. Thanks in advance

Don't worry about it, very rarely do we ever post things where we should :D. This forum is kind of a mess lol.... but we're glad to have you, especially as the season is about to start. Welcome. 

41 minutes ago, RavensFC said:

Hey everyone I’m new to the forum and going to the game this weekend. Not my first time to a game I usually try to catch at least one a year in person. This is my first time spending the weekend in Baltimore. I was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas of places to see or visit while I’m here. Are there any kickoff parties at any bars? Sorry if this wasent the place to ask this. Excited to get into great discussion with everyone on plethora of topics. Thanks in advance

Welcome

Have a great game and keep finding your way in here. We might seem like we are a depressive and yet overly optimistic bunch which fight with each other a lot, but we actually not that bad.

For what it is worth, we are one of the more realistic and sane fan bases on this forum.

6 hours ago, RavensFC said:

Fort Mchenry is fun to visit, so is  Fells Point (a lot of bars and restaurants with shops) Maxs tap house is one of my favorite bars. The aquarium if your into that kind of stuff is cool too. 

As for game day sports bars a few come to mind. There is Pickles pub, right next to Camden Yards. Its always a good place to go, and also Mothers in Fed Hill. 

thats really just an issue if/when Bell shows up. i'd guess you can't sit him because he's too vaulauble for your offense, however seemingly everybody on his line has turned on him... that'll be great stuff to watch.

hope he comes back just before the first Ravens/Steelers matchup and the fat guys in black/yellow just don't gave a flying ish to block for him.

Pretty crappy on the part of the Steelers O-lineman. I fully respect what Bell is doing. Franchising a running back twice is beyond unfair. Including playoffs, he had over 430!! touches last year on his last forced one year deal. The organization is extracting value from him at the cost of his long term value, without committing to him long term. It doesn't matter the sticker price on the one year contract he has on the table. It's less value than he can get with a long term deal on the open market and the are preventing him from being able to shop his services and get what he's actual worth.

It's pretty easy to understand that as someone who doesn't make NFL money, so I can't grasp NFL teammates throwing their teammate under the bus and siding with the org. The team is doing what's best for them and Bell has every right not to let then take advantage.

13 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It's pretty easy to understand that as someone who doesn't make NFL money, so I can't grasp NFL teammates throwing their teammate under the bus and siding with the org. The team is doing what's best for them and Bell has every right not to let then take advantage.

His absence affects their chances at winning games, which is the main objective of the players and organization. They also feel, rightly or wrongly, that he is asking for beyond reasonable figures. They want him to accept the contract offered, even if it's less than what he wants/feels he's worth and return to help win them games. They're being selfish. I agree with you, Bell is doing nothing wrong. Merely trying to secure his future financially and put himself into a more reasonable environment. 

It's hard to imagine any of his teammates doing anything different if they were in his position. All players want to maximize their earnings and put themselves into the best position. It's a rough sport. It's fair to heap praise on players who accept less $ then they're worth to help out the organization or players who tough out difficult contract realities to avoid becoming a distraction. It's unfair though, to act like players who don't do that are then these heinous figures.

The best part too, all steeler fans have been talking about is "Let's ride Bell into the ground with 400 touches off the tag and destroy his value". Yet are acting disgusted when Bell isn't okay with that scenario lol. Dopes. The second best part of all of this, they think James Connor is some great back that will replace Bell easily. Can't wait for the season :D.