Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

I've noticed it too. Raider fans have been pretty willing to talk down the Raven's organization and it's players lately. The fan bases on here have definitely started clashing more frequently too. 

I've lived in California all my life and I can't say there's some big rivalry, but there is absolutely some lasting ill will over the "Siragusa-Gannon" situation. Also I think Raider fans resent the fact that the Ravens overtook the league's "Goon" and "Team you don't wanna play" reputation from them. We do seem to play them more often than other Non-AFCN teams too. Frequency of meeting will always breed negative sentiment.  

They, like many other fan bases, like dropping Flacco's name to take attention away from their team's failings. They abandon facts, statistics, and context. All to try and convince themselves and others, their situation isn't as bad as it is. IMO, none of it is worth paying attention to. I did like you getting into it with him though Dan lol. I remember the exact exchange you're talking about. 

It'll get worse too. Now that Crabtree is playing WR for a real man, and we play the Raiders Week 12. We'll stomp them into the earth.

Choke

Elite

It might be a little bit of both – we took their identity and they for some reason want to talk up their franchise quarterback.

The weird thing is – Ravens fans are the first to acknowledge Flaccos bad performance, but when we elaborate and point toward factors like his supporting cast, coaching/playcalling and injuries, those factors somehow don’t apply to him, because he is just bad. Carr on the other hand is the golden child who is only held back by his oline, coaching, bad supporting cast and bad defense.

We know Flacco is great/good/bad from drive to drive and rarely pull together a perfect performance, but to being completely inept to acknowledge that he probably is a pretty good quarterback to be a part of the results the Ravens have put on paper and display for 10 seasons is beyond me. Considering the only player to perform on offense who departured from the Ravens is Kelechi Osemele, I would say Flacco have managed pretty decently to make those around him better. Maybe not to a pro bowl level, but despite uneven performances, the Ravens offense with Flacco at the helm has strung together a team who was competitive in all their playoff appearances where they have never lost the first game.

did anyone else notice the nfl.com website littered with jackson highlight videos. My man played an entire half of football almost, and had 24 yards passing and 1 run. I hate this over hype, and the disrespect to the actual players who played well on sunday. Im on there looking for the crabtree highlight and all they have are videos of the idiot throwing the ball 15 yards out of bounds

Edited by paraven

1 hour ago, paraven said:

did anyone else notice the nfl.com website littered with jackson highlight videos. My man played an entire half of football almost, and had 24 yards passing and 1 run. I hate this over hype, and the disrespect to the actual players who played well on sunday. Im on there looking for the crabtree highlight and all they have are videos of the idiot throwing the ball 15 yards out of bounds

LJ8 backlash is worse than the "overhype". It's not even hype, it's just the interest and moreso scrutiny that any first round QB will get with snaps. Let's be mad at the kid for that.

I'm loving everything about having Jackson on the team. It got yhr exact response I wanted to see from Flacco and we have a that weapon to move the ball when the regular offense isn't working, that every opposing team has to plan for now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

LJ8 backlash is worse than the "overhype". It's not even hype, it's just the interest and moreso scrutiny that any first round QB will get with snaps. Let's be mad at the kid for that.

I'm loving everything about having Jackson on the team. It got yhr exact response I wanted to see from Flacco and we have a that weapon to move the ball when the regular offense isn't working, that every opposing team has to plan for now.

if they want to use him as a weapon, they should just convert him to WR. He'd be leaps and bounds better then edelman, and then he could do stuff like this.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/baltimore-ravens/0ap3000000456213/Patriots-trick-play-touchdown

2 hours ago, paraven said:

Did Jackson brutalize your favorite college team when he was with Louisville or something? It's a very odd, negative stance you've taken with him since the draft. Wasn't even Lamar that led to Baltimore passing on Moore, so it can't be that. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm not getting the hate for Jackson either. Everyone on the team seems to love him. He's being utilized properly and effectively from what we saw this past Sunday, unlike other early rookie draft picks who are languishing on the bench. He adds a new dimension to the offense that other teams have to account for, but at the same time doesn't take anything away from it. Joe seems as motivated and effective as we've ever seen him, in large part because of the presence of Jackson. And in the long run he provides a long term solution at QB who we can bring along slowly for when Joe inevitably departs the team.

Where's the downside/what's there to hate?

21 minutes ago, paraven said:

its just a wasted pick, and the the hype is unwarranted. But you guys are right, I shouldnt take that out on the kid..

I don't think it is a wasted pick. Flacco can get it done, I am fully on that ship and prepared to sink with it. However, I am also aware that one of Flaccos strengths was his ability to stay healthy. After the 2014 season the arrow still pointed in the right direction and he had earned his contract and played accordingly (fielding the worst oline in history in 2013 would have killed anyone), but as Flacco was bad/injured in 2015, got back but clearly wasn't healthy and comfortable until late in the season, and then he was injured again last season. 3 seasons with that play and injury concerns, it made all the sense in the world to draft a talent like Jackson where we did.

Now, if Flacco goes completely HAM and stays healthy, maybe it will take 2-3 years where LJ8 won't see the field and then we can either send him of like the Patriots did with Jimmy G, or let Flacco go like Chiefs did with Alex Smith or we can see a sudden decline in Flaccos play or he get injured again and Lamar is the natural successor.

I think it is a great situation

6 minutes ago, paraven said:

because we drafted a qb who can barely throw the ball

Boy, I thought I was the most pessimistic person on this board but this is a hot take after, what, 4 preseason games and 1 quarter of a blowout in his rookie year when everyone already knew he needed to improve at being a pocket passer?

I mean, if your attitude is that he won't/can't improve his accuracy then yeah it was wasted pick. However, almost nobody else in the football world holds that opinion.

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Boy, I thought I was the most pessimistic person on this board but this is a hot take after, what, 4 preseason games and 1 quarter of a blowout in his rookie year when everyone already knew he needed to improve at being a pocket passer?

I mean, if your attitude is that he won't/can't improve his accuracy then yeah it was wasted pick. However, almost nobody else in the football world holds that opinion.

really? then why was he the 5th qb taken in the first round? The steelers passed on him and took mason rudolph, and with bens health issues, they are in bigger qb need then us

Edited by paraven