Kitchen stuffs

pwny

We recently had a much better named thread about pots and pans, and since then I've been thinking about making a thread for a bit broader topic.

What type of things do you use in the kitchen to make cooking and/or baking easier, better, or more enjoyable? From your favorite gadgets, to utensils, or maybe even a video on technique that helped you become better at chopping veg, what makes your time in the kitchen better?

I'm an Instant Pot junkie. I've suddenly found myself making great food, not just sandwiches and Hot Pockets. I've also got an immersion blender I've yet to use, but have some ideas.

I'm hoping Santa brings me a Sous Vide.

I make use of a wireless thermometer and have a couple thermo-probes.The right temperature is key, no matter the process of cooking- oven, stove top, grill, etc.

I also use grill-grates, not just on my Big Green Egg, but on my little gas tailgate grill and the oven..  It makes the best steaks and chops, and they can be flipped over and you can use the grates as a flat-top. 

I definitely need a veggie chopping video, I'd love to do my own veggies for brats and such, but I usually end up with the frozen bag instead.  

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I definitely need a veggie chopping video, I'd love to do my own veggies for brats and such, but I usually end up with the frozen bag instead.  

https://www.seriouseats.com/knife-skills

This series of videos are fantastic for knife skills.

If you need a starter level video, the one below is a good one to learn from the ground up.

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

I'm an Instant Pot junkie. I've suddenly found myself making great food, not just sandwiches and Hot Pockets. I've also got an immersion blender I've yet to use, but have some ideas.

I'm hoping Santa brings me a Sous Vide.

I made this with the instant pot and immersion blender and it was incredible.

5 hours ago, pwny said:

I made this with the instant pot and immersion blender and it was incredible.

That's on the docket for this weekend, wow that looks good. Corn tortillas, some cilantro lime rice, black beans - yep, good eating with that.

Cast iron pan, a nice knife, and a meat thermometer have been super helpful to me.  You can essentially cook any piece of meat in the cast iron pan and just baste with butter/garlic (thanks Gordon), roast whatever veggies you want in olive oil, salt, pepper and you have a pretty solid meal that's quick and easy. 

I've started to branch out with seasoning and pan sauces, still really need to hone in the latter.  

Another underrated purchase I've made recently is a massive thick cutting board.  Running out of room or having a small cutting board get cluttered is super frustrating for me.  I can cut all my veggies on the same surface and just use a bench scraper.  It saves a ton of time.

I would kill for a butcher block island in our kitchen.  

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

Another underrated purchase I've made recently is a massive thick cutting board.  Running out of room or having a small cutting board get cluttered is super frustrating for me.  I can cut all my veggies on the same surface and just use a bench scraper.  It saves a ton of time.

I have one (or two) that I am selling off soon. I'll keep you updated. xD

6 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

The bench scraper is really underrated too. Best way to move things from the cutting block to your pan. Of all the utensils I own (not counting knives), the bench scraper is probably my second most used.

First is my Lamson slotted turner. Best $15 I've spent in the kitchen, and is about 500% better than any other spatula I own. Only time I choose another one is my stiff spatula for things like casseroles. 

40 minutes ago, pwny said:

The bench scraper is really underrated too. Best way to move things from the cutting block to your pan. Of all the utensils I own (not counting knives), the bench scraper is probably my second most used.

First is my Lamson slotted turner. Best $15 I've spent in the kitchen, and is about 500% better than any other spatula I own. Only time I choose another one is my stiff spatula for things like casseroles. 

Good call on the spatula, mine is **** and makes some things a pain to work with.  

Archived