Kitchen stuffs

pwny

26 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Good call on the spatula, mine is **** and makes some things a pain to work with.  

Seconded.  May have to get my wife one this Christmas (ha!).

I also second the Cast Iron skillet nominations.  I rarely reach for the teflon coated crap anymore.  Basically only for the pots.

7 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Another underrated purchase I've made recently is a massive thick cutting board.  Running out of room or having a small cutting board get cluttered is super frustrating for me.  I can cut all my veggies on the same surface and just use a bench scraper.  It saves a ton of time.

I've made two for my kitchen (and five for other people).  A really big one first, which is actually a little unwieldy, so i rarely use it.  The second one is a little smaller (just finished it, so i'm letting the finish cure right now).  It'll get a lot more use than the first one, and more than the plastic boards.

20 minutes ago, theJ said:

I also second the Cast Iron skillet nominations.  I rarely reach for the teflon coated crap anymore.  Basically only for the pots.

I use my non-stick frypan when cooking eggs, and that's about it. It gets regular use from that, but almost for nothing else. I have some ceramic pans that get used almost as often as the cast iron, but I'm going to replace them with tri-ply pans because I'm tired of dealing with the hot spots.

When I get everything, my usage will be a 10-inch cast iron, 10-inch anodized aluminum (for eggs), 12-inch tri-ply, and a 3-quart tri-ply saucier (not sauce pan, but a saucier). Then a dutch oven and wok will be the only other thing that uses the stove.

20 minutes ago, theJ said:
51 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Good call on the spatula, mine is **** and makes some things a pain to work with.  

Seconded.  May have to get my wife one this Christmas (ha!).

It's this

Also suggest this one for times when you need a heavier spatula. It does not bend, so it's perfect for heavier applications. Between the two, I've never had an issue with them.

I had an Anchor wet measuring cup that I loved that somehow got broken during a move, so I’ve been slumming it with a cheap plastic 2-cup one. Finally bought a set of Pyrex, with a 1-cup, 2-cup, 4-cup and 8-cup and I feel like my life has gotten a lot better.

On another note, slow cookers kinda suck.

On 11/12/2018 at 8:40 AM, Fl0nkerton said:

Anyone ever use an Air Fryer? They're on sale for Black Friday but I can't tell if they're worth it form the reviews.

I have one. It's Ok. I really use it for a mini oven, but it will spread our your oil or butter well. I've been cooking brussel sprouts in it. I put them in there with a 1-2 tbspn of butter on top and shake seasoning powder on them. It comes out pretty good.

8 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I have one. It's Ok. I really use it for a mini oven, but it will spread our your oil or butter well. I've been cooking brussel sprouts in it. I put them in there with a 1-2 tbspn of butter on top and shake seasoning powder on them. It comes out pretty good.

It’s been way too long since I had good brussel sprouts. Gonna have to put that on my Thanksgiving wishlist for the MIL

6 hours ago, animaltested said:

Don't know about anyone else, but putting my cooking oils in plastic squirt bottles has been a godsend. 

Same. With masking tape to identify them. Having empty ones around for making vinegarettes on the spot is great too. 

3 hours ago, Mega Ron said:

Then give me a blowie.

• Do not post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs. 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/guidelines/

Please re-read the rules of the site before making another comment such as this.

Tks.

- ET

Archived