2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

8 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Gotta say, if Breeland signs for another team around $6m and we decide to pay that much to Tramon instead, I'll be pretty peeved...

If Breeland refused to sign with the Packers before Tramon $1m roster bonus deadline then there's not a lot we can do about that except keep Tramon.

I was just reading to a podcast and the presenter made a good point about Tramon Williams. If they expect him to be a backup corner/safety then his contract is far too large, the fact they haven't cut him yet (and he received his $1m roster bonus a few days ago) points to one thing.... he believes that his contract means the Packers expect Tramon to be a starter next season. He is going to be our starting free safety. That's what his contract suggests.

I think we can forget about free agency now considering the roster bonus Tramon got. If we draft a safety I think we will use that opportunity to bring him along slowly rather than start right away.

Last year we had Cobb, Matthews, Perry and Graham as some of our highest earners and they barely contributed for us. We got rid of the fat by letting Cobb, Matthews and Perry go and it makes little sense to add more fat in with Tramon unless we intend for him to start for us. It definitely looking that way.

We've wasted a hell of a lot more money than what Tramon is getting. He is still a very good influence on a very young CB group. His presence again this year is needed IMO. We still don't know exactly what we have with regard to Jackson, and King and Alexander have both missed time. I'm not sure if he can hold up at Safety, but trust Pettine's judgement. Also, don't forget Tramon has more time than anyone in Pettine's system. I hope we draft a Safety like Thornhill and he proves capable to play early and often. Use Tramon as a moving piece wherever he may be needed. I have a funny feeling he will still be needed at CB more than we would like, but that is the trade off for everything else he brings to the table. Tony Brown is the wild card. If he makes a leap, that will sure help

Edited by cannondale
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

Been relatively upset with Gute about how he handled the Lewis and Williams situations. 

I just feel there were much better options at both positions. 

I agree with Williams, could've had Breeland or Darby instead.

As for Lewis. What other blocking TE were available on the market for just $2m?

14 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Tramon is currently one of our 2 best safeties and at least 3-4 corner, until that changes whether it's from the draft or more signings I don't see the point of cutting him just to have 4m sitting in our pocket.

yeah I mean why look at the available safety market when you have a bottom 3 guy who you can pay an extra 5M!  Gross.

At least one of Glover Quinn, Tre boston, Jahleel Addae, Kurt Coleman had to be willing to play for 4.8M this year.  All better options.

Hell, just cut Tramon and sign him back for 1M.

This is BS "Packer People" and catering to coaching staff who are afraid of new players they've never worked with before.

Edited by skibrett15

3 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

kind of hard to do when you're signed halfway through the year yea?

I don't know why but I read this in my Dad's voice and it made me laugh super hard.

You're correct though. I think he signed in October or November.

1 hour ago, Stevein2012 said:

Tramon is currently one of our 2 best safeties and at least 3-4 corner, until that changes whether it's from the draft or more signings I don't see the point of cutting him just to have 4m sitting in our pocket.

My foot is my 3rd best appendage for signing my name, and my 2nd sharpest tool for cutting meat after my teeth.

Still pretty useless for both tasks though.  Tramon is my foot.  Reminds me, I should clip my toenails.

Edited by skibrett15
  • Like 2