2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If you're content to pay him ~$15m/year (which is going to look cheap once the FA deals are coming in) it might be worth throwing the Chiefs a late pick to take Houston off their cap.

I mean, I'd give them the Hundley pick.

I'd almost certainly do it.  $15M with the Chiefs eating ALL of the guaranteed money left on his deal.  I'd rather pay Justin Houston a few extra million than go out and sign any of the EDGE guys sans maybe Barr or Barrett (depending on the price).

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Ansah seems like the only value risk/reward if you can get him on a discount/sub 10M deal like wilkerson got last year.

He's still going to get a good deal.  He's either going to get a big 1 year deal or he's going to get a solid multi-year deal.

4 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I"m on the NO(mobile) when it comes to acquiring 30+ year old pass rushers. This guy has been injured a lot the last few years. 

2018: 61.04% of the snaps
2017: 86.29% of the snaps
2016: 26.19% of the snaps
2015: 56.91% of the snaps

The health thing is being blown out of proportion.  People are getting unrealistic expectations from pass rushers like Von Miller who play 80%+ of the snaps.  I don't want my pass rushers playing that many snaps, they're going to tired quick.  I want my top two pass rushers around 60%, my #3 OLB around 50%, and your #4 OLB and #5 OLB around 30% combined.

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, here are the top FA edges available right now, since tags have been coming in: 

-Ziggy Ansah

-Anthony Barr

-Shaq Barrett

-Dante Fowler

-Markus Golden

-Shane Ray

-Preston Smith

and I guess Justin Houston

All of these guys (except perhaps Houston) are going to get PAID.  How many of these guys are more exciting than Nick Perry?

Can they stay healthier and contribute more than Perry is the real question. The past few years Perry has done nothing contribution wise.

Forget Edge in FA, give me E. Thomas 2/24 guaranteed with SB incentives, rings = highest paid safety, really think he could be as good a FA for GB as Woodson, both super intelligent playmaker's which translates as they age.

7 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I"m on the NO(mobile) when it comes to acquiring 30+ year old pass rushers. This guy has been injured a lot the last few years. 

He's missed, what, 5 games the past two seasons? Guys like Houston age well. Make the move.

5 hours ago, rcon14 said:

The Giants have gotten themselves so stuck. Vernon's dead cap is 8M, Eli's is 6.2M, Ogletree's is 11.25, and they have a 7M cap hit for their RB. What a mess they created.

Sometimes I fear we're might be heading the same way. We're stuck with 32 years old Graham contract, stuck with Perry's contract. We've just given Rodgers a huge contact. Do we really want to add a 30+ years old pass rusher potentially large contract to our salary cap too?

Next year we got to consider paying some of these guys: Daniels, Bulaga, Clark, Fackrell, Martinez, Spriggs.

Imo signing a top tier safety is cheaper than signing a top tier pass rusher. Get some pass rushers in the draft on cheap contracts for the next 4-5 years and you're sorted. That seems to be the smart play when trying to save as much salary cap space as possible. This approach may even give us enough room to sign another top tier free agent furthering our depth.

14 minutes ago, Chili said:

Sometimes I fear we're might be heading the same way. We're stuck with 32 years old Graham contract, stuck with Perry's contract. We've just given Rodgers a huge contact. Do we really want to add a 30+ years old pass rusher potentially large contract to our salary cap too?

The only "bad" contract we have on the books is Nick Perry.  Jimmy Graham's contract isn't that cumbersome, especially since the Packers stand to create $8M in cap space by releasing him after next season.  Beyond Perry, our contracts are pretty clean beyond 2020.

17 minutes ago, Chili said:

Next year we got to consider paying some of these guys: Daniels, Bulaga, Clark, Fackrell, Martinez, Spriggs.

Right now, the only players who stand to make significant jumps on their 2018 salary are Kenny Clark and Kyler Fackrell.  Mike Daniels and Bryan Bulaga are both potential walk candidates, and even then they're probably not going to make significantly more than they were on their current contracts.  Bulaga's $6.75M AAV ranks 9th, and given his injury history probably keeps him from elite RT money.  We're probably talking about $8M on the open market.  Mike Daniels at $10.25M would be 13th amongst DTs.  With a strong season, he's pushing $14M but given his age that seems unlikely.  Spriggs probably gets overpaid because of his position, but he's a walk candidate unless they believe he's a starting tackle.  Martinez should get a bump, but not a huge bump.

21 minutes ago, Chili said:

Imo signing a top tier safety is cheaper than signing a top tier pass rusher. Get some pass rushers in the draft on cheap contracts for the next 4-5 years and you're sorted. That seems to be the smart play when trying to save as much salary cap space as possible. This approach may even give us enough room to sign another top tier free agent furthering our depth.

Graham is gone after this year, Perry can be June 1st'd and we're out, Daniels and Bulaga are likely gone, Clark should be worth every penny, Fackrell and Martinez are unlikely to be brought back at any big dollar amounts, and Spriggs has been a 3rd OT.