2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

3 years, $30M is probably his floor, but I'd venture to guess he's going to get more.  I think he could push 4 years, $48M.

You might be right, but with his injury history over the past 3 years, you might be able to get him for less years and $ per year if you guaranteed 15-30% of it.  JMO!

I think his body is starting to break down some, so I wouldn't want to go longer then 2 years.

Edited by jleisher
add

I don't know how likely it would be to land Collins but I think he'd be huge for us. He's super talented, he's young, he's tough and he's a great leader. That's something we need in the secondary. If we somehow landed Collins, a top edge/Oliver at 12 and then another edge/DB at 30 or 44 I'd be a happy camper.

Landon Collins was the 36th rated safety this year by PFF (min 50% of snaps)
He rated 38th in coverage in what has become an increasingly more pass-heavy league.
The Pro-Bowl is Monopoly money. Let's stop acting as if the Giants are letting a top safety walk for nothing.

Herman:
100% this Let’s also not forget that
1) safety has been the single most devalued position over the course of the past few years &
2) the only position that has any sort of depth in free agency is (surprise) safety.
I watched him get beat easily by RBs (Cohen) & TEs in coverage.

49 minutes ago, jleisher said:

You might be right, but with his injury history over the past 3 years, you might be able to get him for less years and $ per year if you guaranteed 15-30% of it.  JMO!

I think his body is starting to break down some, so I wouldn't want to go longer then 2 years.

Do you have an idea of what NFL players typically have for % of the contract that is guaranteed?   There are resources that have this information if you are not aware.

38 minutes ago, Leader said:

He rated 38th in coverage in what has become an increasingly more pass-heavy league.
The Pro-Bowl is Monopoly money. Let's stop acting as if the Giants are letting a top safety walk for nothing.

Herman:
1) safety has been the single most devalued position over the course of the past few years &
2) the only position that has any sort of depth in free agency is (surprise) safety.

I hope this is how the Colts and other teams with large cap space feel. Collins will fall right into our lap. You don't have a season like Collins did in 2016 unless you are an elite talent and a top safety. Sure, his past 2 years have had injuries and less than elite play. But I would argue that the Giants defense has been a collective dumpster fire and Collins has been dragged down because of it.

I understand why some have reservations about him, but I am fully confident that the 2016 Collins is really who he is.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Herman:

Yeah, without watching the Giants closely, was wondering if he was getting the HaHa treatment for being a big name and getting pro bowls by default.  Haha was even graded well by pff.  

Id be damned excited to sign him, but NY didn’t franchise him for a reason either.

51 minutes ago, KingOfTheNorth said:

I hope this is how the Colts and other teams with large cap space feel. Collins will fall right into our lap. You don't have a season like Collins did in 2016 unless you are an elite talent and a top safety. Sure, his past 2 years have had injuries and less than elite play. But I would argue that the Giants defense has been a collective dumpster fire and Collins has been dragged down because of it.

I understand why some have reservations about him, but I am fully confident that the 2016 Collins is really who he is.

Are you fully confident that 2nd team All-Pro is who Haha really is? Or is it a case of guys being hungry and then resting on their laurels?

3 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

So much talk about Landon Collins, Earl Thomas and some on Tyrann Mathieu.

Not much talk about Tre Boston, Adrian Amos or maybe even explore a conversion of the ferocious hard-hitting CB Kareem Jackson to safety.

If the rumors are correct and we try to go big at EDGE in FA, these are the guys we have to look at for SAF. Throw in Adrian Phillips as well. 

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

Are you fully confident that 2nd team All-Pro is who Haha really is? Or is it a case of guys being hungry and then resting on their laurels?

The difference between the two is effort. Haha's effort is consistently questioned. Collins doesn't have those same effort questions. Based on pure talent, Haha is an All Pro level safety IMO. Based on effort, he is an average safety. Its definitely something he can fix, but so far he hasn't shown a willingness to change.

• Like 1