2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

33 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

FA is gratuitous sex - you feel good in the short term but then there's just void and remorse. The draft is where you find true love.
Ted Thompson

Thats not how I would characterize it.
Gratuitous sex I mean.

Billy Turner measurables: 

[5.16 Forty] [25 Bench]  [28" Vert] [9ft Broad] [7.92 3-Cone] [4.71 Shuttle]

[Height: 6'5"] [Arms: 34"] [Weight: 315lbs] [Hands: 10"]

He ticks every threshold measurable required of a Packers OL except the three cone. He has an OT sized body. Are we sure he is going to be our RG? he might instead be our LG. I don't think Lane Taylor has the athleticism required to play in LaFleur's ZBS.

Adrian Amos measurables:

[4.56 Forty] [35.5" Vert] [10ft 2" Broad] [7.09 3-Cone] [4.03 Shuttle]

[Height: 6'] [Arms: 32.25"] [Weight: 218lbs] [Hands: 9.125"]

Not bad numbers, solid size with some burst, quick change of direction and fluidity. I suspect he ticks every threshold measurable except 3 cone but that's just a guess.

Za'Darius Smith measurables:

[4.83 Forty] [23 Bench] [29" Vert] [9ft 5" Broad] [7.42 3-Cone] [4.66 Shuttle]

[Height: 6'4] [Arms: 32.625"] [Weight: 274lbs] [Hands: 10"]

Not amazing. Lacks explosion but looks comfortable moving around in position drills especially at that weight. He's much heavier than I expected but he doesn't look it. I'm kinda looking forward to seeing more power rushes off the edge instead of speed.

Preston Smith measurables:

[4.74 Forty] [24 Bench] [34" Vert] [10ft 1" Broad] [7.07 3-Cone] [4.28 Shuttle]

[Height: 6'5] [Arms: 34"] [Weight: 271lbs] [Hands: 10.625"]

Big dude! moves very well for his size. He was one of the best physical specimen at the combine that year.  I've been begging for us to get longer, heavier and stronger on the edge and it looks like I will get my wish with both Smiths.

7 minutes ago, Chili said:

Billy Turner measurables: 

[5.16 Forty] [25 Bench]  [28" Vert] [9ft Broad] [7.92 3-Cone] [4.71 Shuttle]

[Height: 6'5"] [Arms: 34"] [Weight: 315lbs] [Hands: 10"]

He ticks every threshold measurable required of a Packers OL except the three cone. He has an OT sized body. Are we sure he is going to be our RG? he might instead be our LG. I don't think Lane Taylor has the athleticism required to play in LaFleur's ZBS.

Wasn't there a discussion awhile back about signing/drafting dudes that were bigger and bulkier than they were athletic? Also, are we assuming LaFleur employs a ZBS scheme or was that mentioned somewhere and some may have missed it?

If Lane Taylor isn't athletic enough to play LG, than how would Turner be athletic enough? Not sure what you're getting at here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

Wasn't there a discussion awhile back about signing/drafting dudes that were bigger and bulkier than they were athletic? Also, are we assuming LaFleur employs a ZBS scheme or was that mentioned somewhere and some may have missed it?

If Lane Taylor isn't athletic enough to play LG, than how would Turner be athletic enough? Not sure what you're getting at here.

MLF runs the Shanahan offense which almost exlusively uses inside and outside zone as the running plays. In order to run this scheme effectively, you need guys that are at least somewhat athletic. The thing is, GB was already doing this. Nothing in the running game schematically is going to change all that much.

Just now, rcon14 said:

MLF runs the Shanahan offense which almost exlusively uses inside and outside zone as the running plays. In order to run this scheme effectively, you need guys that are at least somewhat athletic. The thing is, GB was already doing this. Nothing in the running game schematically is going to change all that much.

Ok that's what I figured and HOPEFULLY this business about unathletic linemen was a rumoresque bucket of ish.

41 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:
46 minutes ago, Leader said:

Herman (seems to be pleased): This is a BEAUTIFUL deal!

Adriam Amos' $37M Packers deal:

$12M gtd,
$11M sign bonus
Salaries: $1.25M, $1.75M, $4.9M, $7M
$1M 3rd day 2019 roster bonus
$4M 3rd day 2020 roster bonus
$1.5M 3rd day 2021 roster bonus
$25K per game 46-man annual

Those add up to 34M, something's missing. If it's correct our cap hits are 5.4 - 8.9 - 9.55 - 10.15

Just checked Spotrac from another thread, that breakdown is missing 500K in yearly workout bonuses (2M total) and also the total is 36 instead of 37, so there's the 3 missing millions.