2019 NFL QB Draft Prospects

BaldyBronco

26 minutes ago, Counselor said:

We are going to draft Grier. I had a dream about it months ago. I dreamt we would take Sutton the night of the first round too. And lone behold he was the pick the next day. If my dream betrays me I’ll have to cut my brain out. 

You're likke the lady from Jeepers creepers

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I think it's important to look at his games where he's struggled to get a balanced view, if the sample size is only 2-3 games, no matter how good a guy is, it's bound to miss key areas.

Having said that, there's a fair amount to like in Jones, namely:

-Dude is smart as hell.   The O he runs puts a lot on the QB.   Success there is a testatment to his skills between the ears, and his placement/decisiveness.  

-He's tough as nails.   

-He's progressed in his deep throwing ability this year, which was a huge problem in 2017.    His short-intermediate placement is already very good.

-He's learned under one of the best HC's at developing QB's in college under David Cutcliffe.

That's a pretty good skill set, all things considered, and more so in this draft class.  But there are several noteworthy flags, namely:

-His arm strength is pretty average and his throwing mechanics are long (one of the reasons why he's fumbled a lot and been INT-prone); he makes up for it with really good reads and placement, but it calls into question if he's quick/strong enough to fit the ball into the tight NFL windows, and if NFL speed rushes can expose this problem to a greater degree.

-He is just above-average athletically.    This can be overcome especially if you have the in-between-the-ears skills.   But in his case, there's a combined issue, given his pocket awareness does leave him open to bigger hits.  

-Even though he's pretty sturdy by the numbers (6'5, 225 is on some of his listings), one look and we do see he's pretty thin-framed (I'd guess he's at least 10 lbs lighter).  By itself, not a concern - but he's also shown weakness in that aforementioned pocket awareness (and defender awareness in the open field) - and he's really taken big hits as a result.  Thin-framed guys with great pocket awareness help mitigate the injury risk, but that's where Jones has been vulnerable.   He's missed a fair amount of time as a result of the injuries.

-He's been TO prone, especially last year, mostly because he's tried to fit balls in where his skills can't get there (or hang on to the ball too long).   When you have an elite toolset, you can get away with that to some extent, but the NFL kills guys with that mentality and very average physical skills 100x (see: Case Keenum 2018).   I think out of all the problems, this would be the easiest to fix, but it's noteworthy in that it was a large reason to why he wasn't really on the radar before 2018 (that and his tools profile).

Now, none of the above really doesn't bother me that much if we aren't spending high draft capital, but in this year's draft, it's very possible he's that 2nd/3rd QB taken in the draft.    And that's pretty scary for Round 1.    More importantly, it's very fair to say Jones's profile is also exactly the opposite of what Elway looks for in many of his draft targets.  It's literally the opposite of Drew Lock.   In most years, a guy like Jones would go Rd 2-3 (as would Lock).   The best-case for Jones to me looks like Kirk Cousins (normally Day 2 pick that blossoms in the right system/situation).   I'd obviously be all for that kind of guy at that price.   But certainly, in this class, the top 3 who likely make it to Rd1 will certainly include Jones (and Lock, and I suspect Grier - age 24, man, no thx to take that long as a Rd1 guy) into the convo.

I kinda hope Jones has a really meh Combine - that would drop him to very attractive draft stock (Day 2, Rd 2 or even 3).    Combine season is where guys like Lock shine and rise up draft boards (but that's a double edged sword if Elway pulls the trigger on Lock at 1.1x IMO).   With no Senior Bowl, Jones is at risk of having the shorts & t-shirt season drop his stock (same with Thorson, but for different reason - Thorson's still not 100 percent post-ACL recovery, that takes 18 months to get full explosion).  The bigger issue is if Elway is willing to stop going for tools-first guys like Lock over skilled-but-less-toolsy guys like Jones.   That's a huge red flag in Elway's interest with Lock IMO.   

Oh I think you’re under selling Jones a bit here.  He’s been great when the talent levels of the team he’s playing are close to equal.  

I also think you’re under selling his traits a bit.  Arm strength wise I agree, he’s average maybe a bit above.  Athletically he’s well above average though.  They were talking in the game today that he’s run the 40 in the 4.5s and if you watch him I don’t think that’s much of an exaggeration.

I don’t think he’s a home run pick or a top 15 talent.  But I’d love having him as the QB of the future with his intangibles and physical traits.

I was watching undisputed and Joe Klatz makes an interesting argument pertaining to Kyler Murray.

Short term wise hed make 9 millions dollars if he cracks the first round compared to 4.5 million he got from  the As. So yeah the top end money im baseball is amazing there's no sure fire thing he gets there. If he torches Alabama tomorrow it's not clear cut he choses baseball. 

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I was watching undisputed and Joe Klatz makes an interesting argument pertaining to Kyler Murray.

Short term wise hed make 9 millions dollars if he cracks the first round compared to 4.5 million he got from  the As. So yeah the top end money im baseball is amazing there's no sure fire thing he gets there. If he torches Alabama tomorrow it's not clear cut he choses baseball. 

I still think he goes the baseball route. More guaranteed money, longer career, lower risk of injury, sure-fire coaching/managerial job when he retires. 

If I was in his shoes I would choose baseball too. Being a pro baseball player is the second-best job in the world only to being a professional golfer. 

16 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I still think he goes the baseball route. More guaranteed money, longer career, lower risk of injury, sure-fire coaching/managerial job when he retires. 

If I was in his shoes I would choose baseball too. Being a pro baseball player is the second-best job in the world only to being a professional golfer. 

Agreed.

28 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Even if he doesn't make the big league?

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Even if he doesn't make the big league?

21 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That is the roll of the dice but from what I understand he’s a pretty good player. 

The scenario where Murray fails is why a NFL team might take a shot - but in that event, spending a 5th-6th  round pick, the price becomes more palatable.  The bust rate with those picks is so high, why not.   But spending a top 75 pick IMO is a no go if Murray is going to try baseball first.    The odds that there is no return is just too high given the alternatives available.   Once the draft becomes more of a pure crapshoot, then sure, why not.   

Even then though, if Murray doesn't sign, he simply can't play in the NFL for that 1 season.   And then he can re-join the next NFL draft (and if he's not drafted, he can then sign as a UDFA).  So how much will teams pay for the rights to Kyler Murray for 1 season if he chooses to report to baseball Spring Training and skip the Combine?  Hard to see a high price in that scenario, and rightfully so.

48 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

That is the roll of the dice but from what I understand he’s a pretty good player. 

I'd have to see the odds of a top 10 mlb draft picks making the bigs. It's a qb versus a minor league contract.  Even scrub qbs Case Keenum cough cough make 18 million a year.

Archived