Where will Le'Veon Bell sign in the offseason?

DigInBoys

Teams most rumored to sign Bell: Jets and Raiders

Teams that would benefit the most: Texans and Colts

Wildcard teams that could be in the mix:

• Atlanta: Aggressive GM + Telvin Coleman is a FA next season. Could see guys like Sanu and Alford being cut to make the cap space for Bell.
  • Miami: Would save a lot of money if they cut Tannehill.  Bell lives in Miami (if I'm not mistaken)

2 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Atlanta: Aggressive GM + Telvin Coleman is a FA next season. Could see guys like Sanu and Alford being cut to make the cap space for Bell.

Do they pay him the money he's looking for with Devonta Freeman and Ito Smith on roster? Freeman already has a 2nd contract as well, so money is already allocated to the position...

14 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Do they pay him the money he's looking for with Devonta Freeman and Ito Smith on roster? Freeman already has a 2nd contract as well, so money is already allocated to the position...

There is a good exit point from Freemans contract after the 2019 season.  So it could just be one season where they need to eat both salaries, then after 2019 it's Bell and Ito Smith's rookie contract.  Plus a guy like Ito Smith shouldn't come into the discussion when considering if you want Bell or not.  It's more about how long they want to keep Freeman around...

I think we know Bell's going to chase the $, and not the rings. 

For that reason, the simplest answer is most likely to be correct.  Jets, jets, jets.  They offered insane $ to Cousins, but unlike Cousins, Bell's going for the dead presidents this contract.   Plus, NYJ is going to counter NYG who will have rookie QB / Barkley and say "how about Darnold/Bell".    Too much of a fit all the way around, and we know the NYJ GM & ownership aren't afraid to throw insane $.

52 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I still like your Texans TBH. Bell would be dynamic for your offense. Draft some OL and wreck havok.

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

I still like your Texans TBH. Bell would be dynamic for your offense. Draft some OL and wreck havok.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be weeping and gnashing teeth over here - we have the money and an offense that can really explode with a guy like Bell (contingent on hitting on every OL we draft, and we're gonna draft a few). 

I just wonder if you'd get a similar result with Ingram or Coleman (at a considerable discount). 

You'd also have to think - would this mean that Clowney doesn't get his deal and leaves? What about Mathieu? It would also be prudent to make sure there's money in about two years, when Deshaun Watson will be in the running for highest paid player in football...

I don't think it's not doable (all of it - retain Clowney/Honey Badger, sign Bell, keep enough on hand for Watson). Texans should have upwards of $80mm in cap space without cuts (Kevin Johnson, Lamar Miller, Senio Kelemete, Ryan Griffin, etc).

I'm just thinking it's not worth potentially wrecking the cap for a RB.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be weeping and gnashing teeth over here - we have the money and an offense that can really explode with a guy like Bell (contingent on hitting on every OL we draft, and we're gonna draft a few). 

I just wonder if you'd get a similar result with Ingram or Coleman (at a considerable discount). 

You'd also have to think - would this mean that Clowney doesn't get his deal and leaves? What about Mathieu? It would also be prudent to make sure there's money in about two years, when Deshaun Watson will be in the running for highest paid player in football...

I don't think it's not doable (all of it - retain Clowney/Honey Badger, sign Bell, keep enough on hand for Watson). Texans should have upwards of $80mm in cap space without cuts (Kevin Johnson, Lamar Miller, Senio Kelemete, Ryan Griffin, etc).

When your QB is on a 2nd round rookie contract, that is the EXACT time you sign people and make a run. By the time you get to paying Watson, it might be time to cut ties with several other dudes. 

5 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Let's face it, you need OL upgrade, CB upgrade, and keeping Clowney and Mathieu are crucial.   You will have lots of room still left, but as you said, Watson's going to break the bank.  This is the time to get an impact RB - but Ingram & Coleman will also cost half of what Bell can bring.

More importantly, I don't think HOU will get into a bidding war with the highest bidder.  It's doesn't seem like McNair's style AFAIK, no?

And I do think there will be several interested teams.   I posted this on the News thread - I don't think it's nearly as cut and dried as people are making it to be that teams are worried about Bell.   This is from a locker room that has no invested interest other than as outside observers....if that's how they feel, guess how FO's who aren't involved might feel, too.

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Makes too much sense

Luck

Young great cheap oline 

play in a dome

AFC

Now that Luck has returned and their OL is respectable,  this would work for bell but:

3 hours ago, rich homie said:

I don't know if I see the Colts going in for Bell. Marlon Mack is currently averaging 5.3 yards per carry. Nyheim Hines is averaging 4.4 yards per carry, and Jordan Wilkins is 5.4 yards per carry. Sure Le'Veon would be a huge upgrade over all of them but not only do the Colts have much more pressing needs at the wide receiver and cornerback positions if they want to overpay, we've seen that the OL can make any RB look good, so spending huge money there is a waste.

will the colts fall for the high price RB? They could use that cap on a top CB and then another player, either way the colts would get better.

Houston would be another spot but their OL isn't as good or lets say good at all so I would expect Bell to go to Colts over the texans. 

I don't see bell signing to a team with uncertainty at CB and or OL. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

Im not triggered over anything. I was copying and pasting a debate I got into earlier in the week to explain why its illogical. 

I am getting a tad bit triggered on you not understanding possible vs logical. 

You literally said it was possible. I did not refute that. I said it was illogical. Is this a hard line of discussion to follow along with?

Here, I will simple it down:

1. You said "Philly make sense. Neither have a ton of cap room, but both can clear things up if they actually wanted a shot at Bell. "

2. I responded that it was illogical. It was a direct response to "philly makes sense". It in no way makes sense when you look at the bigger picture.

Wrong. You finally got my initial post right, but do I actually have to quote the very first sentence of your response? You said they have no shot at Bell. They do, if they wanted - which is what I said. 

3. You said they dont have a ton of cap room.

4. I explained how they have negative cap room and need about 20 people to just fill out their roster. They have to shed $20-30m just to pay their draft class.

I know I said I wouldn’t indulge their financials with you but I can’t get over the obvious - A) AFAIK, the draft class falls into the top 51 rule, and B) you know Philly can shed $30M with two roster moves, right? 

5. I concluded with "They can get Bell, but he better play RB/WR/CB/K." => admitting it was in fact possible. 

Cool. 

I said they have a shot if they want one. You agree. Thanks for the riveting talk.

PS - in both the NFL News thread and the Philly forum, all the responses I have seen from Eagles fans is the idea of getting Bell is dumb. Which is the opposite of 'Makes Sense'

Okay, I’ll get right back in line then - wouldn’t want to step out of the masses.

tenor.gif

Archived