TNF GDT: Green Bay Packers at Seattle Seahawks

Malfatron

7 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Those threads dont normally stick out to me, I read them and move on. For some reason that one stood out. I think it was because the things he was saying:

"the packers have NO weaknesses"

yeah buddy, that wont come back to bite you in the arse.

EDIT - apparently he said few weaknesses. point still stands.

VanS who started all those stupid threads isn't a Packer fan.

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Why did McCarthy take a TO after Seattles 10 second run off at the end of the first half? you havent practiced the prevent defense enough to be able to call it with one hand signal, that you have to call a TO to tell your defense how to line up? It made no sense. Seattle wouldnt have had any time and your edge rushers could have jumped the snap count at 1. Such a silly move that shows how clueless the guy really is. 

I remember when you hired him. He was the niners OC and we were ranked 32nd in the NFL in offense. I couldnt believe it. Granted that was one of the worst rosters ever assembled in the NFL, but still. Felt weird at the time and that was 2003.

I think the packers team wants him gone at this point. Rodgers certainly does. 

The clock would have stopped at 2 seconds, the penalty kills the clock. 

5 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I'm going to flat out say....

We're no longer going to see elite Aaron Rodgers for 60 minutes. We're just going to see flashes of elite Aaron Rodgers every now and then.

I've never seen a QB of his level look and play so disinterested.

Rodgers hasn't been playing well, but he's not the problem. McCarthy and the rookie receivers aren't making it easy for him. I refuse to believe Rodgers has dropped off in any sort of capacity. 

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Rodgers hasn't been playing well, but he's not the problem. McCarthy and the rookie receivers aren't making it easy for him. I refuse to believe Rodgers has dropped off in any sort of capacity. 

Then you haven't watched a lot of Packer football over the years. This is easily Rodgers' worst season since his rookie year. He's so damn hesitant this year it's appalling. 

6 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Tbf Rodgers missed 2 easy throws in that final drive.  I'm not going to say Rodgers is done, but he contributed to the loss himself last night.

12 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Then you haven't watched a lot of Packer football over the years. This is easily Rodgers' worst season since his rookie year. He's so damn hesitant this year it's appalling. 

I really think it's a product of the environment he finds himself in. And once those issues resolve he will be back to his old form. 

12 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Tbf Rodgers missed 2 easy throws in that final drive.  I'm not going to say Rodgers is done, but he contributed to the loss himself last night.

Again, he's not playing well. But I think people are taking a micro approach to a macro problem.

1 minute ago, SmittyBacall said:

I really think it's a product of the environment he finds himself in. And once those issues resolve he will be back to his old form. 

He's creating the environment. 

The refusal to checkdown or even play within the offense is what's causing so many of these issues.

He's playing like he's going through a midlife crisis, like he has to prove to himself that he can still escape the pocket and do the things he could when he's 25, and he's getting upset that he can't do them anymore. 

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He's creating the environment. 

The refusal to checkdown or even play within the offense is what's causing so many of these issues.

He's playing like he's going through a midlife crisis, like he has to prove to himself that he can still escape the pocket and do the things he could when he's 25, and he's getting upset that he can't do them anymore. 

How many 3rd down plays was he trying to throw it 15+ yards when that wasn't even necessary to get the first down.

58 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The clock would have stopped at 2 seconds, the penalty kills the clock. 

Actually, it doesn't, the clock is live once the ref blows the whistle.   So the Pack would have known exactly when Wilson was snapping the ball.  To call TO was a massive mistake.  It helped SEA 10x more than it did GB.  Nothing came of it, but the fact McCarthy wasn't aware of this, well it speaks to his lack of coaching savvy. 

The 4th and 2 is a no-brainer, because with only 1 TO left, they basically were saying GB were left with only 1 chance to stop SEA on O - with 3 TO's, they'd have 2-3 chances to stop SEA, so it would have been more defendable.  But again, that's McCarthy not understanding how the dynamics of game management change.   

Honestly, while it's easy to point to the 2014 NFCG (and rightfully so) on how McCarthy has cost the Pack at least 1 real shot at another ring for ARod, it's stuff like this week that happens week in and week out with McCarthy.  He's one of the most overrated coaches (along with Jason Garrett), who gets by on ARod's talent (and Garrett on the overall roster talent that was there).    ARod's not blameless here, but the thinking that McCarthy is a big part of the problem is spot-on.  

The only good news is that the FO is finally seeing it....may it be a merciful end after 2018 is done.

54 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Actually, it doesn't, the clock is live once the ref blows the whistle.   So the Pack would have known exactly when Wilson was snapping the ball.  To call TO was a massive mistake.  It helped SEA 10x more than it did GB.  Nothing came of it, but the fact McCarthy wasn't aware of this, well it speaks to his lack of coaching savvy. 

The 4th and 2 is a no-brainer, because with only 1 TO left, they basically were saying GB were left with only 1 chance to stop SEA on O - with 3 TO's, they'd have 2-3 chances to stop SEA, so it would have been more defendable.  But again, that's McCarthy not understanding how the dynamics of game management change.   

Honestly, while it's easy to point to the 2014 NFCG (and rightfully so) on how McCarthy has cost the Pack at least 1 real shot at another ring for ARod, it's stuff like this week that happens week in and week out with McCarthy.  He's one of the most overrated coaches (along with Jason Garrett), who gets by on ARod's talent (and Garrett on the overall roster talent that was there).    ARod's not blameless here, but the thinking that McCarthy is a big part of the problem is spot-on.  

The only good news is that the FO is finally seeing it....may it be a merciful end after 2018 is done.

McCarthy will be gone after 2018 in all likelihood. Even if he doesn't deserve to be, it's apparent that he and Rodgers aren't working well together anymore. 

I've never loved McCarthy as a game manager, though I'll argue that 2014 was about as by the numbers clock management as you can get. We just got struck by lightning. 

He's a great offensive mind and a strong developer of QBs (though damn if he's not stubborn in refusing to go away from his system with the case of a guy like Hundley) but there are times when a good coach just isn't a good coach for a situation anymore, and it looks like that's what we have here. If he can't control Aaron, (and Aaron needs to be reined in right now) it's time for him to go. I just don't know who you can bring in that Aaron will listen to at this point. 

@AlexGreen#20 - can't quote your reply...but in reply, I agree McCarthy's ability to develop QB's shouldn't be undervalued, FWIW.   A team like Arizona would do well to consider bringing him in to tutor Rosen (but hopefully just be the tutor/OC, but pay him close to HC $).  Just as you said, his coaching abilities are very meh.   He's also made some really awful personnel decisions of late (like timesharing Aaron Jones even in just running situations - I get pass pro was the big concern early on last year, but to time share him for actual running downs....man).     

ARod's play hasn't been his usual elite self, that's entirely fair.  Just that McCarthy's always been a huge minus in the game management side - which doesn't matter as much in the regular season, but can cost games (like it did last night).    Where it really hurts is come playoff time when closely matched teams face off - the coaching decisions often have a massive impact, and that's where his very average to below-average skills handicap Green Bay. 

Archived