You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

2 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

Do we even know what coaches will be available though? 

we don't, which makes this thread pretty worthless. in a perfect world, Lincoln Riley. the first thing to do is fire the HC we have currently. then you'll see plenty of candidates from every direction come calling for this job. a lot of men would leave their very comfortable jobs right now to get a chance at coaching this team. it's time we give that opportunity 

5 minutes ago, persiandud said:

we don't, which makes this thread pretty worthless. in a perfect world, Lincoln Riley. the first thing to do is fire the HC we have currently. then you'll see plenty of candidates from every direction come calling for this job. a lot of men would leave their very comfortable jobs right now to get a chance at coaching this team. it's time we give that opportunity 

I admit I dont know have the inside track on up and coming coaches in the league, but you never know who could be plucked from their coordinator job at the end of the year, that's kinda why I asked do we really know what's gonna be out there yet? 

3 minutes ago, Gopackgonerd said:

I admit I dont know have the inside track on up and coming coaches in the league, but you never know who could be plucked from their coordinator job at the end of the year, that's kinda why I asked do we really know what's gonna be out there yet? 

nope 

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Can rule out any defensive minded coach. For this this to work the HC has to be Rodgers right hand man like it's been his whole career.

Defilippo remains my #1, he keeps Pettine as they have a history together. 

He is my #1 as well.

2 hours ago, deltarich87 said:

DeFilippo is the obvious hot name candidate. GB should have their pick of the litter as they'd obviously be at the front of the list for any aspiring HC

Probably true, but you never know.

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Pretty sure Arians has said he'd only return for CLE

That he did.

DeFelippo is my top choice right now.  Partially because I think he would strongly consider keeping Pettine which is a plus imo.

Another option is Matt LaFleur, OC for the Titans.  He learned under McVay before becoming the OC for the Titans.  And his play calling has been impressive.

Eric Bieniemy, OC for KC.  I know it's not a guarantee, but Reid's coaching tree looks awesome and Bieniemy has been with Reid since 2013.  Not to mention played in the NFL.

Josh McDaniels, Not gonna happen but worth looking at.

John Harbaugh.  I think he suffers a bit from the same issue as McCarthy.  Stagnation.  The guy is a good HC and a change of scenery could benefit him and GB.  But highly unlikely.

The first three are realistic, viable options.  They all come from legitimate offense backgrounds and would be good for Rodgers.  Last two are much less likely, but I would be happy with them.  

Dan Campbell, current Assistant HC and TE coach for the Saints. He has a little experience as a HC, taking over the Dolphins when Philbin was let go. I believe he did well with that,  even beating the Patriots once. The Saints always seem well prepared and ready to play,  and I'd imagine he has a part in that. 

I quite like Pete Carmichael, the OC from New Orleans. He has been their OC since 2009 and is long overdue for a head coaching gig. I think the New Orleans brand of offence is exactly what the Packers need. He's not just some young co-ordinator, he has lots of experience in game planning and game situations, working with Brees and helping him be effective and prolong his career and has seen all the good and bad the NFL has to offer. Not only that he has learned behind an excellent head coach in Sean Payton. As far as coaching candiates go we would be hard pressed to find a superior candidate. He could bring Joe Lombardi as the offensive co-ordinator too.

5 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Seeing a looooooot of bad suggestions and no suggestions from people who want McCarthy gone.  

2006 Outpost if Mac was suggested as a replacement for Sherman.

"Loooooool you think hiring the OC from the 32nd ranked offense will turn around the team?"

Dude you don't know, stop acting like you do. We could hire someone to fan base thinks is the worst hire ever and they could be a great coach, or vice versa. 

Or we could stick to our current version of Marvin Lewis or Jason Garrett who's repeatedly failed to get the job done for almost a decade now.

1 hour ago, Chili said:

I quite like Pete Carmichael, the OC from New Orleans. He has been their OC since 2009 and is long overdue for a head coaching gig. I think the New Orleans brand of offence is exactly what the Packers need. He's not just some young co-ordinator, he has lots of experience in game planning and game situations, working with Brees and helping him be effective and prolong his career and has seen all the good and bad the NFL has to offer. Not only that he has learned behind an excellent head coach in Sean Payton. As far as coaching candiates we would be hard pressed to find a superior candidate. He could bring Joe Lombardi as the offensive co-ordinator too.

This is a good one

I’d go with Josh McDaniels. He knows offense as well as anyone , knows what good cultures are like, amd how to work with egos. He failed in Denver when he had too much responsibility, which I don’t think would happen here with our personnel structure. 

I’m kind of against bringing in a young sexy college coach, or like Fillip. You’re getting married to Aaron Rodgers with this job (who would be more experienced and we can all agree can be full of himself). Although we need some new concepts to the O, AR needs to buy in or it won’t work.

Just now, pacman5252 said:

I’d go with Josh McDaniels. He knows offense as well as anyone , knows what good cultures are like, amd how to work with egos. He failed in Denver when he had too much responsibility, which I don’t think would happen here with our personnel structure. 

I’m kind of against bringing in a young sexy college coach, or like Fillip. You’re getting married to Aaron Rodgers with this job (who would be more experienced and we can all agree can be full of himself). Although we need some new concepts to the O, AR needs to buy in or it won’t work.

He failed in Denver because he's insane and incapable of having any kind of authority without going wild and needing to have his ego stroked off every day. 

Rodgers and McDaniels would kill each other on the 3rd day of OTAs. 

Also why the hell are people looking for a ****** like McDaniels?

Archived