You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Most talented roster since 2014 to me. Clearly talent enough to win more than 4 out of 10 games.

I agree. It's a solid roster. There are some nice parts. If our $30million QB was operating at 85% his expected play this is pretty easily a 7 win team...

18 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Eddie Lacy was better than Jones.

Nelson was better than Adams.  You'll fight me on this one, so let's settle on even.

Adams was better than MVS.

Cobb was better than Cobb.

IOL was better.

Tackles were eh, about the same.

Matthews was better.

Peppers was better than every pass rusher.

Our secondary was more experienced.

2014 was wildly more talented.

That team was so much better, you could probably only point to Kenny Clark>, Jimmy Graham>, Blake Martinez>Hawk, and maybe Alexander at one of the CB spots.

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Feel free to move on if you want, but there was no question to duck. You just are fundamentally NOT understanding the answer somehow.

Let me try again...maybe with dice this time?

Odds of rolling a 6 = 1/6.

Odds of rolling two 6s in a row = 1/36

You are arguing that if you roll one 6, the odds of rolling another 6 are 1/36. This is the analog of your 2.x% of coaches winning multiple SBs. 

It's fundamentally wrong. I don't know how else to explain this. You can choose to continue to be wrong, I guess.

The odds of a SB winning coaching winning another one is more than a full order of magnitude higher than a non-SB winning coach winning his first one... historically. Your math is wrong. I hope you figure this out sooner than later.

So yeah, operating with the info we are all privy too, we should all prefer to roll with a coach who gives us more than 10x a better chance to win a SB. It's the most rational thing imaginable.

Your argument is that because he won a Super Bowl before he's more likely to win a Super Bowl, which is fundamentally a semi-broken concept.  Yes, there's a marginally better chance you're going to win a second Super Bowl because you're playing with similar players.  But when you're talking about a significant gap in between years winning a Super Bowl, that likelihood goes out the window.  It's been 8 years since he has won a Super Bowl, and the only other HC who went that far between HC is Brian Bilichick.  The average years between Super Bowl wins has been less than 3 years.  So either you think he's as good as Bilichick or you think he's bunking about several decades of history.  Which is it?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Your argument is that because he won a Super Bowl before he's more likely to win a Super Bowl, which is fundamentally a semi-broken concept.  Yes, there's a marginally better chance you're going to win a second Super Bowl because you're playing with similar players.  But when you're talking about a significant gap in between years winning a Super Bowl, that likelihood goes out the window.  It's been 8 years since he has won a Super Bowl, and the only other HC who went that far between HC is Brian Bilichick.  The average years between Super Bowl wins has been less than 3 years.  So either you think he's as good as Bilichick or you think he's bunking about several decades of history.  Which is it?

I hope they hire this genetic experiment that spliced Bill Belichick and Brian Billick. Could be a great coach.

1 minute ago, persiandud said:

well, then we must regard andy reid and mike mccarthy on different ends of the spectrum. we'll see how it shakes out

as usual for this board- you miss the point.

Point is, Philadelphia made the same assessment that fans in Green Bay are making now.  They kicked Reid to the curb and ended up with the disaster of hiring the offensive genius Chip Kelly.

Reid went on to show that he is indeed a top coach.  Chip Kelly, not so much.

Sometimes fans should be careful what they wish for.

7 minutes ago, incognito_man said:
11 minutes ago, squire12 said:

What threshold do you want to use for winning percentage that makes a coach "good"?

Well it's a combo of games coached and winning and postseason winning too.

Off the top ofy head maybe .575 or so in a full cycle of players which might be 5-6yrs.

OK.  THanks for letting me know. 

16 of 29 coaches that have a career regular season win % above .575 with 5 or more years coaching have won superbowls.

2 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Point is, Philadelphia made the same assessment that fans in Green Bay are making now.  They kicked Reid to the curb and ended up with the disaster of hiring the offensive genius Chip Kelly.

Are you saying Philly winning the Super Bowl last season is worse that KC and Andy Reid not winning in the duration of time he has been in KC?  That seems an odd stance to take

19 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Grew up in the Philly area during the Reid/McNabb years. This city loves Andy and everything he did for the franchise, but there's no doubting that it was time to move on. Yes the subsequent hire didn't pan out, but I still think they made the right move with Andy. Things had gone stale, the city had lost a lot of hope. Honestly, that's exactly the point I'm at with MM. He's a good coach, but he and the Packers both need a reboot. I said this last year too - I kind of feel like John Harbaugh is in the same boat in Baltimore. Both quality, SB winning coaches who need a change of scenery. 

36 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Eddie Lacy was better than Jones.

Nelson was better than Adams.  You'll fight me on this one, so let's settle on even.

Adams was better than MVS.

Cobb was better than Cobb.

IOL was better.

Tackles were eh, about the same.

Matthews was better.

Peppers was better than every pass rusher.

Our secondary was more experienced.

2014 was wildly more talented.

2014 Rodgers was better too. Knee injury has really taken its toll.

Said it a long time ago. This club is the worst one weve had in a while.  Future looks good, though, as the rookies are helping but there are growing pains.

2015 draft class should be pushing this thing forward for new contracts. Instead its cut, traded or injured.

23 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

One thing to consider...sometimes a change of scenery is needed. Rejuvinates guys. Makes them hungry. Insert Reid cheesesteak/bbq joke.

Archived