You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

11 hours ago, beekay414 said:

My preference is Arians with a young OC as the coach in waiting. Arians for the last window with Rodgers and the young guy for after.

This would work.

11 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

You think Aaron would want to work with a guy like the Hairbaugh? Rodgers is a genuine dude, Harbaugh is about the most fake schtick coach in the world right now. Think that would crash and burn hard.

Harbaugh is a lot of schtick... but he believes his schtick.  I think it works for average guys, but Rodgers is exceptionally smart and I don't think would respond well to it.  Rodgers needs someone who is just as book smart as him, and also as football smart.

Well...Mac has to be all but gone.  I have to say that I was not unhappy with the energy from the team, or in how prepared they looked.  I was extremely unhappy with the execution of offensive and defensive plays.  Offense was clunky, again.  We went long on third and short...again.  We ran a small running back on 4'th and inches instead of the guy who always gets 2 yards, whether there is a half yard there, or 5 yards there.  We couldn't tackle. ...etc.  Too many of the same old problems, including the issues from #12.

If I were going to create a coaching candidate list, I'd want to interview McDaniels, Arians, DeFilippo, Carmichael and Riley.  I'd be watching to see if Gase comes free.

My uninformed opinion is that McDaniels should be the guy based on his mind, merit and experience.  He's been a head coach and failed...kind of an epic fail.  ( I think he's smart enough to learn from his mistakes.)  He's worked with Tom Brady and knows that scheme inside and out.  He's won a lot of games.  He's adjusted to talent coming and going on offense.  And he brings a little bit of New England swagger.  I think you can say, if only he hadn't done Indy so wrong.  But if he hadn't, he might not be free to talk to right now.  So, I think you gotta try with him.  Odds are he's not leaving New England, but I think you need to try...hard.

Arians is my next, simply because I know more about him than I do the other 3.  I've always like his offenses, he got a lot out of old Carson Palmer.  I have to think that he and McDaniels have the best chance of re-training Rodgers.

After those two?  Well....as one poster said, there are highly paid people at 1265 Lombardi Ave that will run that search and I trust that they will do the due diligence.

I'm a strong pass on Jim Harbaugh...and maybe even John Harbaugh.  But....I think they would need to be reached out to and possibly interviewed.  

DeFilippo is very interesting to me because I think Rodgers would love his offense.  Plays designed to scheme guys open.  Easy reads.  And he has some more advanced route concepts.  He hasn't achieved the results yet with that offense, but I do think he is on the right track.  He is intriguing to me.

GB should be an attractive job.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Well...Mac has to be all but gone.  I have to say that I was not unhappy with the energy from the team, or in how prepared they looked.  I was extremely unhappy with the execution of offensive and defensive plays.  Offense was clunky, again.  We went long on third and short...again.  We ran a small running back on 4'th and inches instead of the guy who always gets 2 yards, whether there is a half yard there, or 5 yards there.  We couldn't tackle. ...etc.  Too many of the same old problems, including the issues from #12.

If I were going to create a coaching candidate list, I'd want to interview McDaniels, Arians, DeFilippo, Carmichael and Riley.  I'd be watching to see if Gase comes free.

My uninformed opinion is that McDaniels should be the guy based on his mind, merit and experience.  He's been a head coach and failed...kind of an epic fail.  ( I think he's smart enough to learn from his mistakes.)  He's worked with Tom Brady and knows that scheme inside and out.  He's won a lot of games.  He's adjusted to talent coming and going on offense.  And he brings a little bit of New England swagger.  I think you can say, if only he hadn't done Indy so wrong.  But if he hadn't, he might not be free to talk to right now.  So, I think you gotta try with him.  Odds are he's not leaving New England, but I think you need to try...hard.

Arians is my next, simply because I know more about him than I do the other 3.  I've always like his offenses, he got a lot out of old Carson Palmer.  I have to think that he and McDaniels have the best chance of re-training Rodgers.

After those two?  Well....as one poster said, there are highly paid people at 1265 Lombardi Ave that will run that search and I trust that they will do the due diligence.

I'm a strong pass on Jim Harbaugh...and maybe even John Harbaugh.  But....I think they would need to be reached out to and possibly interviewed.  

DeFilippo is very interesting to me because I think Rodgers would love his offense.  Plays designed to scheme guys open.  Easy reads.  And he has some more advanced route concepts.  He hasn't achieved the results yet with that offense, but I do think he is on the right track.  He is intriguing to me.

GB should be an attractive job.

After seeing him last night, and his ability to make Cousins look like a winner with scheming guys open and such, I can get back on board with at least giving DeFilipo a look.  I tried early on to get folks to reconsider McDaniels - in spite of his many failings and vagaries - but some good counter-arguments have cooled my thoughts on him somewhat.

20 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Harbaugh is a lot of schtick... but he believes his schtick.  I think it works for average guys, but Rodgers is exceptionally smart and I don't think would respond well to it.  Rodgers needs someone who is just as book smart as him, and also as football smart.

I dunno. Gannon had a career year under Harbs in Oakland. I get the impression Gannon is in the same mold as Rodgers.

Alex Smith also had the best year(s) of his career to date when Harbs took over in SF. Smith is at least as cerebral as Rodgers if not more so.

I see a good amount of success by smart QBs under Harbaugh.

35 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

After seeing him last night, and his ability to make Cousins look like a winner with scheming guys open and such, I can get back on board with at least giving DeFilipo a look.  I tried early on to get folks to reconsider McDaniels - in spite of his many failings and vagaries - but some good counter-arguments have cooled my thoughts on him somewhat.

DeFilippo scares me because I think that offense, as a whole, has underachieved.  Cousins included.  But...I like the scheming that he does.  It can be simple, and it can be advanced.  I feel like that may challenge Rodgers mentally and he seems to like that kind of stuff.

I too was a hard pass on McDaniels, for probably the same reasons you have.  But...I think you have to reach out to him and see if he will interview.  His past scares me, but BB trusts him and he works well with Brady.  The other really scary thing to me is Matt Patricia.  I'm unsure how much of the BB values translate into his assistants when they leave.   Vrabel seems to be okay, though.   He's worth the interview is what I'm saying.  To me he is no longer a hard pass.

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:23 PM, Dubz41 said:

Maybe it's because your delivery is  just like the posters you are complaining about. 

Most sites have at least a handful of soapboxers  who always think they have more info than anyone else.  Or guys who think that playing football for a while in their lives somehow gives them more license to speculate.  Who knows? It is hard to take anyone's self-appraisal at face value.  

Truth is perspective and I like reading a bunch of differing truths, then I find my own.

Well said.  I post on this forum as if I am sitting next to you and just sharing thoughts.  I have never claimed to be anything more then just an ordinary joe that loves the Packers.  

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

DeFilippo scares me because I think that offense, as a whole, has underachieved.  Cousins included.  But...I like the scheming that he does.  It can be simple, and it can be advanced.  I feel like that may challenge Rodgers mentally and he seems to like that kind of stuff.

I too was a hard pass on McDaniels, for probably the same reasons you have.  But...I think you have to reach out to him and see if he will interview.  His past scares me, but BB trusts him and he works well with Brady.  The other really scary thing to me is Matt Patricia.  I'm unsure how much of the BB values translate into his assistants when they leave.   Vrabel seems to be okay, though.   He's worth the interview is what I'm saying.  To me he is no longer a hard pass.

DeFilippo is the safe, easy choice.  He's got history with Mike Pettine, so there's a pretty good chance he'd be fond for retaining him.  He's a LOT like a sirloin.  You know what you're going to get, it's going to be a solid piece of meat but it's not going to impress you.

Archived