You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I am not a big fan of having 3 different schemes in 3 years, but really I just think Pettine is a good in game adjuster. I like him

I think he's fine, but if we are gonna change culture completely (inevitable with a new HC) then I'm not so worried about having Pettine as I am having a DC that the HC trusts.

I'm super interested in a defensive head coach if they are the best coach out there.  I'd hire Zimmer today.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I think he's fine, but if we are gonna change culture completely (inevitable with a new HC) then I'm not so worried about having Pettine as I am having a DC that the HC trusts.

I'm super interested in a defensive head coach if they are the best coach out there.  I'd hire Zimmer today.

I would hire a defensive coach too, but I really want a bright offensive mind on the staff. Hiring one as an OC likely means they're gone within a year or two to be a HC somewhere else. I don't see a defensive HC candidate right now that I would consider over Riley or Bienemy. 

I was flirting with the idea of Toub, but that just opens up a revolving door of coordinators on both sides. Too bad Arians is only interested in Cleveland. We have good fans too :( 

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I would hire a defensive coach too, but I really want a bright offensive mind on the staff. Hiring one as an OC likely means they're gone within a year or two to be a HC somewhere else. I don't see a defensive HC candidate right now that I would consider over Riley or Bienemy. 

I was flirting with the idea of Toub, but that just opens up a revolving door of coordinators on both sides. Too bad Arians is only interested in Cleveland. We have good fans too :( 

Maybe Cleveland isn't interested in him.  It could be that the Packers job looks mighty fine to him once it's available.  I guess we'll see.  I kind of see him as a really good option to pair with Rodgers.  The guy is a super sharp offensive mind.  I get the idea he could push the right buttons with Rodgers.  I think Pettine would probably be retained .. not a sure thing.  I think he's done really well given the talent on hand. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Goodness man, we do it all the time as fans. Who cares? I'm looking at the evidence I have and basing an opinion. Yes that's what I'm saying is my opinion of Ted, does it bother you? 

I care. I think it's lazy and mindless and beneath those whose opinions I respect quite frankly.

I know I don't do it all the time as a fan nor do really any of the fans I associate with in real life.

In fact the only time I've even heard TTs mental health questioned is on here. Typically from a subset of certain posters. 

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Zimmer, the guy who's really never won a playoff game?

2 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

why is everyone so interested in keepin Pettine?

Seems like an area I'm not concerned with.  If we keep pettine, fine.  If we don't, fine.  Either way he's on the hot seat next year for sure.  Not sure he's done anything really special or good with the squad this year.

Because I can see the defense has improved in just these few months after he took over.  Even tho the Vikes got a ton of yards last night our defense kept the team in the game and the defensive roster is very similar to what Dom worked with last year.  Get Pettine a couple more pieces and this defense can be good enough if the offense returns to form going forward.

3 hours ago, cannondale said:

If I take a few of the rumors and connect the dots, it goes something like this. 

TT's health was failing. Some other long time scouts noticed the same thing on some scouting trips (shuffling feet instead of walking, slurred speech, confusion etc). It's a slow process, and no doubt a very delicate and difficult situation. Some say a good part of his duties were delegated in his final years. Some of those duties went to Russ Ball who made some bad decisions. When Ball's name was thrown in the hat for the new GM, MM said no effin way. Some say Rodgers did the same. I'm guessing Ball was even more stingy than TT and had zero eye for talent or team building. That's when you heard MM uncharacteristically come out publicly about finding talent via all avenues, something he knew Ball wasn't going to do. In an effort to keep everything from falling apart, Murphy gave the job to Gute, with the narrative that an open communication about the team would involve MM as well on a regular basis. That's when we first heard of the 'silos.' I think the team is taking care of TT and keeping his mind as active as possible, because it's a first class organization, and he really has nowhere else to go

Getting pretty warm here. McCarthy was adamant against Ball because it would have been more of the same with regard to completely ignoring free agency. Ball is about as stingy as they come. McCarthy wasn't threatened by Gute so there was no ultimatum needed with his hire. McCarthy did reportedly have a problem with the idea of answering to someone younger however and I've heard nothing to make me think otherwise. Thus arose Murphy's solution to act as  a go-between and to publicly place MM on equal ground with Gute. Once McCarthy goes the silos will disappear and the coach BG picks can answer directly to him.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I care. I think it's lazy and mindless and beneath those whose opinions I respect quite frankly.

I know I don't do it all the time as a fan nor do really any of the fans I associate with in real life.

In fact the only time I've even heard TTs mental health questioned is on here. Typically from a subset of certain posters. 

Well it's been brought up quite a bit around the time he stepped down by those around him in the media. Hell Schneider cried at his Combime presser when asked about Ted. There's some real evidence to go along with the obvious issues that have increased with his speech and mannerisms.

Super large difference from using it to bash or mock the guy vs what I said and it being a potential factor in his performance at the end and sudden departure, but continue to paint it all with one brush.

6 minutes ago, Pugger said:

and the defensive roster is very similar to what Dom worked with last year

the best case you can make is what fackrell is doing.

The other side of that is how good Jaire Alexander looks... how bad tramon looks, how just as pitiful HHCD looked...

34 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Well it's been brought up quite a bit around the time he stepped down by those around him in the media. Hell Schneider cried at his Combime presser when asked about Ted. There's some real evidence to go along with the obvious issues that have increased with his speech and mannerisms.

Super large difference from using it to bash or mock the guy vs what I said and it being a potential factor in his performance at the end and sudden departure, but continue to paint it all with one brush.

This is somewhat more fair. 

I still think it's just downright wrong to call him "unwell" because we truly have no idea.

And it absolutely perpetuates the mouth-breathers agenda, whether it's your intention or not.

Archived