Bill Belichick is the scourge of NFL history

NFLExpert49

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

I love the rule change.

I think if they were trying to make the game more exciting they should’ve taken full measure and moved the 2pt try to the 1 yard line. 

Though I still think teams will start trending towards 2 points regardless, it just hasn’t happened as quickly as I thought it would 

I think we're starting to see more misses on the XPA's and we weren't really seeing that before (anyone know the stat on the first year of the rule change?) I could be wrong, I don't know the specific year to year stats (didn't look them up) but I feel like they are getting more frequent than they have been.  This year especially, KC/Rams being one of the latest examples (in terms of score) we've had a lot of high scoring close games or at least a respectable # of them.  In the Steelers/Jags game there was a 2 pt attempt, albeit if failed, that made a difference to an extent.  This is a risk that I think is becoming more necessary.

22 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Yeah, it was. Not as influential as Von Miller and the DL as a whole though, who either hit or sacked Brady 24 times. TB had his lowest rating in playoff game - 56.4 passer rating. 

You're not blaming it all on Ghost.

It depends on your point of view. If he made that does the game go into overtime and look FAR more favorable to the Patriots? Yes. Was Miller the reason the Patriots weren't able to overcome that? Yes. But it's like saying if Samuels pulls that INT down in 42 they would have won the game. They 100% would have won the game if that happens. Did the Giants DL make it so that was necessary? Yes

People who want the PAT to be "exciting" remind me of people who think every single minor character in a TV show or movie should be "fleshed out" into "three-dimensional characters."

Entertainment should have spaces to breathe. There should be an ebb and flow to it. You don't want everything to be cranked up to 1,000 at all times.

The PAT is a bad place to put "excitement." It's right after the height of excitement during a football game: a touchdown. The PAT should be the time to celebrate your team scoring it or brood over the other team scoring it...not to bite your nails after celebrating because you realize that there are now 70+ misses in the NFL there per year, and they could lose you the game. 

Honestly, I would rather them just do away with the PAT altogether and just make TDs worth 7 points. 

The 2 point conversion and its difficulty at least used to fit the flow of the game, as it was usually used in coming from way behind. "YESSSS, touchdown! Oh, but we still need the 2...here we go."

7 hours ago, kramxel said:

No one watched XPs before, even the networks switched to commercials during them.... can't believe anyone would argue this.

And what's with the obsession with BB?

Who cares whether people watched them? Why would you want something dramatic to watch immediately after the pinnacle of dramatic football success - the touchdown? 

Plus, 33 yard kicks are not interesting whether they make them or miss them. They're over in 2 seconds flat. 

With this logic, why stop there? Why not make extra points 50 yard FGs, and 2 point conversions can be moved to the 15? That's more "EXCIIiiiiiiitingzzz."

Why not make a 3 point conversion after touchdowns? Think of all the optionzzz we could come up with, because we can make the game more ADHD viewer-driven. 

We could make it worth 8 points when a touchdown is scored from 20+ yards away, and then they get to try 1, 2, 3, or 4 point conversions.

We could get rid of punting and make it so every team has to go for it on 4th down. EXCIIIITING.

Belichick has ruined the game in so many ways it's unbelievable. 

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

It depends on your point of view. If he made that does the game go into overtime and look FAR more favorable to the Patriots? Yes. Was Miller the reason the Patriots weren't able to overcome that? Yes. But it's like saying if Samuels pulls that INT down in 42 they would have won the game. They 100% would have won the game if that happens. Did the Giants DL make it so that was necessary? Yes

Butterfly effect, Ghost making the PAT in the first quarter changes the outlook of the game.

6 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

People who want the PAT to be "exciting" remind me of people who think every single minor character in a TV show or movie should be "fleshed out" into "three-dimensional characters."

Lol is that really a bad thing for a TV show?

12 hours ago, NFLExpert49 said:

Who cares whether people watched them? Why would you want something dramatic to watch immediately after the pinnacle of dramatic football success - the touchdown? 

Plus, 33 yard kicks are not interesting whether they make them or miss them. They're over in 2 seconds flat. 

With this logic, why stop there? Why not make extra points 50 yard FGs, and 2 point conversions can be moved to the 15? That's more "EXCIIiiiiiiitingzzz."

Why not make a 3 point conversion after touchdowns? Think of all the optionzzz we could come up with, because we can make the game more ADHD viewer-driven. 

We could make it worth 8 points when a touchdown is scored from 20+ yards away, and then they get to try 1, 2, 3, or 4 point conversions.

We could get rid of punting and make it so every team has to go for it on 4th down. EXCIIIITING.

Belichick has ruined the game in so many ways it's unbelievable. 

Don't know if you just dislike change in general, or are just salty with BB for w/e reason.

Can't find anything there I can agree to.

4 hours ago, Activated10 said:

I thought OP was joking but its obvious he's serious. OP must be AFC East or Steelers fan

Also the fact he blames BB for spread offenses is hilarious

How is that hilarious? Belichick is responsible for the ubiquitousness of spread offenses, in case you weren't aware. Ever since he took over the Patriots in 2000, he brought with him the foundation for the hideous "spam them with the slot" crap, making journeyman-caliber receivers like Troy Brown the focal point of NFL offenses. 

Gradually over time, every team started imitating his offense. And now every offense is essentially the same. The game is nothing but an ugly shotgun spreadfest that makes somebody coming open on each play a near certainty. 

And yes, it's his offense, as has been discussed before. He doesn't call the offensive plays, but he oversaw the development of the Patriots' offensive system based on ideas he had formed over the years. 

12 hours ago, Starless said:

The idea that Belichick is responsible for bringing spread offenses to the NFL is completely preposterous.

Uh, no. It's preposterous to say otherwise. Belichick was using the spread offense in 2000, before anybody else. When he had success with it, spamming teams with freebee underneath crap to journeyman-caliber receivers like Troy Brown, it gradually spread throughout the NFL.

Take a look at the hideous garbage they were doing here:

Archived