Post Game talk Preseason Panthers vs. Titans

KingTitan

2 hours ago, titans0021 said:

He jumped out to me in Week 1. On Saturday, I simply didn't notice him for a large stretch of the game. Given that he's in the secondary and played (I believe) the most snaps of any defensive player, that's not necessarily a bad thing. When he was targeted in the fourth quarter, he looked pretty good again.

I think it's just easier for a guy like Wallace to make an impact. It's the nature of his position that there's a real chance he can be involved in any play. But really, Reed's been targeted 10 times in two games and has allowed a total of 20 yards. 2.0 yards per target is pretty great for a corner.

This is similar to how I've been feeling about Leshaun Sims. Can't hardly remember hearing his name called through the first two games and I'm alright with that. 

14 minutes ago, TwoToneBlue said:

This is similar to how I've been feeling about Leshaun Sims. Can't hardly remember hearing his name called through the first two games and I'm alright with that. 

Yup. You'd love some splash plays, but after last year, any corner that isn't getting beat so routinely that I'm cursing their name three or four times every week is fine by me.

17 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Yup. You'd love some splash plays, but after last year, any corner that isn't getting beat so routinely that I'm cursing their name three or four times every week is fine by me.

Ya I have been happy with Simms. 

Jackson didn't play too much on defense last game one of the snaps was in the slot if I remember correctly but the less snaps for McCain I'll be happy because he's the one constant dud at CB no matter where you put him. I thought he would be better than what he has shown I'm really hoping McCain is one of those surprise cuts even though I don't think he will be but hope Hurst and Reed force him out 

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Just cut bait on him now. There's no point in hanging on to a guy because you spent a 2nd on him. When is our last big hit on a 2nd round pick?-_-

I knew it was bad when I started going back, I didn't remember it being this bad for this long:

2016: Kevin Dodd, Derrick Henry, Austin Johnson (way too early)

2015: DGB (and here we go...)

2014: Bishop Sankey (Yup)

2013: Justin Hunter (Still going)

2012: Zach Brown (About the most competent we're going to get for awhile)

2011: Akeem Ayers (So disappointing)

2010: No second, though Damian Williams was our second pick

2009: Sen'Derrick Marks (Useless in Nashville)

2008: Jason Jones (flashed competence)

2007: Chris Henry (rock bottom)

2006: LenDale White (meh, two productive years out of him)

2005: Michael Roos (there it is!)

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I knew it was bad when I started going back, I didn't remember it being this bad for this long:

2016: Kevin Dodd, Derrick Henry, Austin Johnson (way too early)

2015: DGB (and here we go...)

2014: Bishop Sankey (Yup)

2013: Justin Hunter (Still going)

2012: Zach Brown (About the most competent we're going to get for awhile)

2011: Akeem Ayers (So disappointing)

2010: No second, though Damian Williams was our second pick

2009: Sen'Derrick Marks (Useless in Nashville)

2008: Jason Jones (flashed competence)

2007: Chris Henry (rock bottom)

2006: LenDale White (meh, two productive years out of him)

2005: Michael Roos (there it is!)

So the only good looking pick at this point in the last 12 years (since Roos) is Derrick Henry and we had 3 chances to hit on one in a single draft and came out with just him.xD

That is hideous. 

14 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Am I the only one that thinks Jason Jones was pretty good?

Meh...he had a decent run here. I view him the same as I do Kendall Wright. If they were mid round picks, they'd be viewed as nice bargin picks. However, since they were early picks, they were pretty disappointing here.

Edit: And like @titansNvolsR#1mentioned, health was a problem for both of them.

15 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Am I the only one that thinks Jason Jones was pretty good?

He was fine. Would flash really good thing, but was pretty much a pure pass rusher. I kind of think of him the same way I think of Tony Brown, only Tony Brown was a UDFA. Excluding last year, he's probably the second best Titans player on that list though (which isn't a massive accomplishment). Let me put it this way, we got four years of competent production out of JJ. That's not exactly what you're hoping for from a second-round pick, but I wouldn't consider him a but either.

Fun fact. The only players we signed to a 2nd contract from 2008-2013 was Chris Johnson, Craig Stevens, Jason McCourty, Derrick Morgan, Jurrell Casey, & Karl Klug. We only retained six players out of a total of 51 players we drafted(12%). No wonder 09-15 was the worst stretch of years in the Titans franchise.

9 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Fun fact. The only players we signed to a 2nd contract from 2008-2013 was Chris Johnson, Craig Stevens, Jason McCourty, Derrick Morgan, Jurrell Casey, & Karl Klug. We only retained six players out of a total of 51 players we drafted(12%). No wonder 09-15 was the worst stretch of years in the Titans franchise.

God that's sad. And two of them (Klug and Stevens) were essentially career role players.

On the bright side, just from his first draft alone, Robinson seems to have 3 picks from that class that will be on a 2nd contract here(Conklin, Henry, Byard), with the potential for guys like Sims and Sharpe(Sims more so than Sharpe) to reach it as well.

Aaron Wallace and Kalan Reed could both be guys that be Klug-like role players as well.

Granted still extremely early, but looks like our "draft curse"(also known as terrible drafting) seems to be over.

16 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Hopefully Titans current front office is better at drafting. That is dismal and pathetic and I may be mistake but the but I don't think the 3rd rounds have turned out to well either. 

Archived