GDT Week 12: Baltimore Ravens vs Oakland Raiders

DreamKid

Just my thoughts

1) I'm very encouraged with what I saw with Lamar. He's very raw so It's kind of expected he'd make some mistakes but I really was impressed with some of the throws he made. Dude has an arm. First pick wasn't his fault really, second one... Maybe he shouldn't have made the throw but I'm not mad at him for it. Overall good game for him to build on. If he can learn to more perfectly complement his amazing athleticism with his developing passing game I think we may be onto something. Look forward to seeing flacco back next week.

2) WTH was that about with Yanda yelling at the coaches? 

3) Wasn't pretty but it was good to see the defense finally make some plays.

What do you guys think of Gus Edwards?

I was offline when watching the game, but not going to lie, I just read this entire thread to see how much that paraven guy was rooting against LJ8. Was not disappointed. 

Lamar Jackson is going to end up costing two draft picks in the 50s and by keeping the season alive with these two wins, he's arguably made more of an impact than all of our 2nd round picks since KO in 2012 COMBINED. This is the point I was making in the offseason that his talents are so valuable even filling in for a couple games, that he doesn't even have to be a franchise QB to justify the draft capital. Although, that would be the goal, and I'm not counting out the kid from that, either. 

Also... I definitely think the running game working has a ton to do with Jackson being there, and the defenses we've faced... 

But I also believe the running backs are just better. Not that I think Edwards (or even Montgomery) are great talents, but it was just so easy to upgrade on the mediocrity that was the Collins and Allen backfield. I see that opinion gaining some steam, but people didn't like me saying the backs were a significant problem earlier in the season.

3 hours ago, Ras said:

Just my thoughts

2) WTH was that about with Yanda yelling at the coaches? 

The independent consultant radioed down to have him taken off and examined and Yanda was pleading his case that it was his leg, not his head that was swiped on that play. He was just upset.

3 hours ago, Ras said:

3) Wasn't pretty but it was good to see the defense finally make some plays.

Defense made plays when the game was already over. They were terrible today.

3 hours ago, Ras said:

What do you guys think of Gus Edwards?

I'm 100% on board the Gus Bus.

4 hours ago, Danand said:

I have just seen you and others jump at his comments even though he had a pretty clear point. Otherwise do as I suggested and put ignore on him if its the "he is a rb" thats provoking you.

As of now, Lamar get the treatment where almost everything he do is either good or a part of a learning curve, whereas other QB's it would just be bad. A bad throw is a bad throw and and a bad decision is a bad decision and Lamar had a couple of them tonight. Luckily we didn't pay dearly for them and we got it together in the 2. half and his stats end up pretty good and he once again managed to keep some drives alive using his legs.

What is the clear point? Make 15-20 posts in a thread about how a player is a running back and not a QB? Versus stating the obvious improvements said player can make to be a better quarterback. When guys like Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen, and Josh Allen have actually had worse performances than what Lamar has shown, all of which whom were given a better grade and drafted higher as well... and outside of Allen are considered true pocket passers.

The post that I quoted was referring to Lamar as a running back, even though he’s made multiple plays through the air to that point. There’s a difference between the first half where we used Lamar as a “pocket passer” and the second half where we used him as a “mobile QB”. By shifting the pocket and putting pressure on the defense he made plays, but relegating him to playing just within the pocket eliminated his elite trait. It’s like telling rookie Flacco that he couldn’t use his arm cannon to throw comeback routes to Derrick Mason and expect him to be successful. Tell him he’s only allowed to throw touch passes in a game because the media talked about him throwing too many bullets and how it’s making his receivers dislocate fingers (which was something an announcer brought up during Flacco’s rookie campaign). Makes no sense. What will make Lamar Jackson an All Pro in this league is if he’s rushing for 900-1200 yards in a season while passing for 3500-3800 yards with nice efficiency numbers.

But him being a mobile QB is not analogous to being a running back. His performance was also not horrible enough for someone to state that RG3 needed to be inserted into the lineup after a quarter and a half of play. So no, there was no “clear point” being made that I’m highly sensitive too. Because my argument is the same one that I’ve stated regardless of if Lamar is the QB or if Flacco is the QB.

If it seems I’m more peeved than I really am, it’s because if you’re going to make a statement about me “fishing” than it would make sense to post what you deem as such. I can’t correct said instances if there doesn’t even seem to be a specific well that you’re pooling from. You’ve yet to quote said instances. All in all, if someone is borderline trolling the onus isn’t on me to block their posts, but on them either to a) not troll less they receive a warning or b) simply improve their posts to a point where it falls within an acceptable pattern of fan criticism and passion for their team.

For instance, I’m not a fan of Alex Collins as a RB, I haven’t been shy about that opinion. Yet if he makes a great play, I’m going to cheer it. If I complain about him, I’m likely using a combination between statistics and the eyeball test to back up said complaint. If this is what @paraven does moving forward (as he’s said towards the end of this thread) then I’m all for it. If he says Lamar isn’t a natural throwing of the football or that Flacco gives us the better chance to win or Lamar needs to stop sidearming throws, I can fully support what he’s saying. Those are all fair assessments. But if it’s another 7 months of “I didn’t look at his tape but he sucks because that’s what the analysts say” or “this guy should be benched because he threw one interception to this point in the game”, etc. then I will continue to expect more quality from his posts. Because prior to the overt Lamar Jackson hate, he actually seemed to be a quality new addition to this forum with solid insight. I’d rather see more of what I know is possible than to block a poster who might present quality insight in the future.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The independent consultant radioed down to have him taken off and examined and Yanda was pleading his case that it was his leg, not his head that was swiped on that play. He was just upset.

Defense made plays when the game was already over. They were terrible today.

I'm 100% on board the Gus Bus.

True on all points. But I think the good thing about the defense this game is that hopefully they’re able to build confidence off of the way they ended this game. As they say in sports it’s easier to sustain momentum than to build it. They created some turnovers and got going towards the end (coincidence that it’s when Tony Jefferson was out of the game?) and maybe that will give them more confidence moving forward against better talent.

All in all, hopefully we’re able to get Tim Williams back when we play against the Chiefs and on. He definitely adds to our unit big time.

The CBS broadcast picked up a lot of the player's voices today. On our first drive after Lamar throws that weird ball at Hayden, who goes to block the DB thinking LJs going to run, you can hear Hayden tell Lamar "Keep Looking" and they share a laugh right after. And on Mark Andrews' 74 Yard Catch you see the comradery between he and Hayden.

It's nice to see our young weapons vibing, because that's not always the case. Enter Brandin Cooks & Michael Thomas.

A few takeaways from last night game

1. We learned a very very valuable lesson and it didn’t cost us anything. During the week it seemed our coaching staff tried to emphasize that they view Lamar Jackson as a passer first, runner second and some of us (as well as media) had concerns that they would use the Raiders game to try and establish Lamar as a pocket passer. I believe we all clearly saw, that doesn’t work (yet) and we now got that experiment out of the system in a game we won anyways.

If we go with Lamar in more games this year, we now know how to win with him and how not to win with him. That should both help keeping rhythm as well as putting together a complete game plan.

We had some discussions about being too negative towards Lamar Jacksons game/play yesterday, and I feel I need to mention, that just as Flacco and every other QB has to be put in a situation where they can succeed, we didn’t do that with Lamar in the first half, and that makes his play seem much worse than it was.

2. The runningback/quarterback controversy is intertwined. Whether we call it a controversy or competition doesn’t matter, if Flacco comes back and we suddenly can’t run the ball again with Gus the Bus, Montgomery and Collins we might have an important decision to make with regard to the quarterback position. We are clearly running the ball better with Lamar as a threat and with Gus Edwards downhill running style – but against bad defenses.

The risk is we might jump to conclusions based on two defenses that couldn’t stop the run and we bench Flacco/Collins for the wrong reasons.

3. Defense and special teams showed up when it mattered. Our special teams have been in the middle of the league with pretty good coverage units but nothing in the return game. This game we finally got a big break that really kept us in the game. The defense showed up fresh after a couple of long drives on offense, and they used the fresh legs to create a turnover and turn pressure into sacks. While they struggled most of the night, they managed to turn on the heat to close the game before the Raiders had the chance to build momentum for a potential comeback.

They have to keep that momentum going into the final games, where the offense will need the help. While we finally drafted players on offense and got some free agent acquisitions, we still have to remember that our draft and cap capital is heavily skewed towards the defense and we put more emphasis on keeping great special teamers rather than X-factors on offense. Both units have to contribute with some points late in the season – especially to switch momentum like in the Bears and Bengals game last year.

4. Playoffs are so close (and yet so far away). With two key victories in the first two weeks after the bye we have put ourselves in the driving seat going into the last stretch of games. The Colts however have decided they are a contender this year as well. They have done what many teams should have done, draft those linemen early and develop a really solid line that opens holes in the running game and keep their 100 dollar man upright and clean. The Colts have an easier schedule and are really on a roll, while we have to go to Atlanta, Kansas and LA. Baring a complete meltdown from another contender, we have to find 1-2 W’s against those teams and both the Chiefs and Chargers seem to have very few flaws on their teams and they both have red hot quarterbacks. Getting that W in Atlanta would make it less of an uphill struggle but while we have reason for optimism, this still looks like an 8-8/9-7 season unless we pull an upset.

5. I think the future looks promising still with either Flacco or Jackson, as long as we solidify the interior oline so we can get the push we need inside and maybe a playmaker on defense.

Not to toot my own horn but....

On 11/22/2018 at 2:37 AM, DreamKid said:

Santa- "They'll have no heart, no skill, and no fight on the day". "It's a wonder, if the game should even be played".

"All of their players are cowards, with worth so little". "I predict a stat padding day, for one Terrellius T-Sizzle".

Suggs-v-Steelers-mask-BR.jpg

I can't help but feel I strongly contributed to Sizzle's first TD in 10 years. Might as well of been me running that thang in, with all the Holiday magic I conjured.

Congrats to the Old Man. It's just one more play for an already HOF career. 

Watching the game I agreed with many of you that the defense was playing like garbage. 

But then I look at the box score and see the Raiders only had 249 yards with 4.4 yards/play (league average is 5.7 y/p). 

I don't think this Ravens defense is very good, but they are still 1st in the NFL allowing 4.7 y/p for the season. They are good in 3rd down as well. I think what makes them seem shaky is their red zone defense has been poor. Hopefully they can clean that up. 

I also have to adjust my expectations for defenses in 2018, offenses in general are doing very well so far.   

Archived