The Lion King - (2019)

RamRod

On 7/20/2019 at 10:58 AM, NYRaider said:
On 7/20/2019 at 10:53 AM, BleedTheClock said:

If it's a complete shot for shot, it's still awesome.

What was so bad about it? Outside of the lack of originality, it seems like it'd be kind of hard to screw up. Today's CGI abilities make it almost impossible to look bad given the amount of money Disney has to produce it.

Also, Lion King, to this day, is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. Still holds up and I'm 31 years old.

Agreed. I loved the Lion King movie growing up and Lion King on Broadway was one of the most incredible shows/events that I've ever been too. They already have great source material so there's no reason to deviate from a story that has been loved for decades to add in a new flare.

The one complaint that I've read is that the CGI animals aren't as expressive as their cartoon counterparts which hurts the overall emotion of the story. 

Its good. It is a visually stunning but almost complete replica of the original. There are a few changes, a couple added jokes and some new music. But its mostly the same. 

My only knock on it is they made Rafiki less interesting. But the incredible visuals made up for it. 

4 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Its good. It is a visually stunning but almost complete replica of the original. There are a few changes, a couple added jokes and some new music. But its mostly the same. 

My only knock on it is they made Rafiki less interesting. But the incredible visuals made up for it. 

Spot on take. 

On 7/20/2019 at 10:53 AM, BleedTheClock said:

If it's a complete shot for shot, it's still awesome.

What was so bad about it? Outside of the lack of originality, it seems like it'd be kind of hard to screw up. Today's CGI abilities make it almost impossible to look bad given the amount of money Disney has to produce it.

Also, Lion King, to this day, is one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. Still holds up and I'm 31 years old.

Terrible pacing, no heart/soul and botched a couple classic scenes that took away a lot of character depth and logic.

1 hour ago, Fresh Prince said:

If it’s almost a shot for shot remake how is the pacing bad?

Haven't seen it, not going to, but I can definitely see how if certain scenes aren't hitting the same emotional notes due to the limitations of the medium, that spending the same amount of time on them would be tough.

In particular, "I just can't wait to be king" i have to imagine would be a very strange and unsatisfying experience if all the characters are doing is strolling around. "Be prepared" I imagine would be another one that isn't really hitting the same notes. I don't know if they would do "Morning Report" but that's another one that really losses something without the same animation effects behind it. 

10 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

If it’s almost a shot for shot remake how is the pacing bad?

Honestly, I can see their point. There were def some weird scenes where they moved on quickly from what was previously going on - specifically I am looking at the scene where Simba was about to be eaten by buzzards... couple others too.

Boooo!  Screw what they did to Be Prepared, and I was personally insulted by the lack of a Mufasa shaped CGI thundercloud.

It was alright though.  See it if you liked the original.  Timon and Pumba were good, and the CGI was very realistic.

I think one reason people don't like it is that it's hard to make realistic looking animals display any kind of emotion, which is why it looks so bland.

• Like 1

Not surprised to see a reacord Opening for this movie. What i will be interested is what does the drop to next weekend look like. With actual people going to see this movie, and their less than extatic opions, mostly ending with "its like the one you already saw" as most in this thread have said, will it have legs?

31 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Not surprised to see a reacord Opening for this movie. What i will be interested is what does the drop to next weekend look like. With actual people going to see this movie, and their less than extatic opions, mostly ending with "its like the one you already saw" as most in this thread have said, will it have legs?

Well the most vocal crowd on the internet is always the detractors.

It got an "A" CinemaScore from opening day audiences and it has no competition for a couple weeks. It's going to be fine.

Initial estimates of $185 million were low and it actually hit $192 million. If crowds were that upset with it, it would have seen a big weekend drop. Most people, even when unenthused, are saying it's worth seeing.

Edited by seminoles1

29 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

8 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

over half a billion worldwide after the 1st weekend. This thing is going to cruise to success. 

Yeah, it's not surprising.  I saw the reviews, we all knew it was probably going to fall short of our expectations, but it's also nearly everyone my age's favorite Disney animated movie.  No way were we not gonna see it.

I probably won't see it again, and it definitely wasn't as good as the Jungle Book remake, but I don't know why Disney keeps cutting their own huge hit songs that everyone loves from these.  I mean come on, no one wants an abbreviated version of Bear Necessities, you morons!

That said, if they do a live action Sword in the Stone, I'm absolutely seeing it opening weekend and complaining again.