Preseason week 2: 49ers vs Broncos

Webmaster

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I'm really thinking that the best way to handle it is to put Ward back at corner and just go through the growing pain with Jerome at FS. Most of our cornes are known quantities and just aren't very good. 

I agree with this 100%. 

Just now, Gore Whore 21 said:

I know I'm in the minority here, but I never wanted to move Ward from CB, so I am completely on board with this plan. 

I never bought into the idea that he was instantly going to be a better safety than corner just because he played it in college, but I was open to the experiment. At the same time, I Think that he's fine at corner, so Im willing to keep him there. 

That half pretty much confirmed what we already know: the front 7 is pretty solid but the rest of the team isn't good enough to significantly change the W/L record from last year. 3-4 wins seems about right.

Wonder how safe Tim Hightower's roster spot is if Breida/Williams continue to look good. Also not sure what to think of Louis Murphy getting reps with the first team - I thought Garcon/Goodwin/Taylor/Kerley/Robinson/Burbridge was more or less locked in

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Honestly, I'm really thinking that the best way to handle it is to put Ward back at corner and just go through the growing pain with Jerome at FS. Most of our cornes are known quantities and just aren't very good. 

I think by the end of the preseason, anyone who doesn't yet feel this way will be on board

Just now, ninerfanwheelz said:

That half pretty much confirmed what we already know: the front 7 is pretty solid but the rest of the team isn't good enough to significantly change the W/L record from last year. 3-4 wins seems about right.

Wonder how safe Tim Hightower's roster spot is if Breida/Williams continue to look good. Also not sure what to think of Louis Murphy getting reps with the first team - I thought Garcon/Goodwin/Taylor/Kerley/Robinson/Burbridge was more or less locked in

I don't think Burbidge is a lock and while I think it's very likely that Robinson makes the team, if Bourne continues to produce, I could see him taking his spot. I really hope we just go young with this team. So far our offense is showing to be a huge weakness, so I hope we keep guys around that may have the potential to grow into good role players instead of older guys that are known commodities. 

2 minutes ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

Honestly, I think that Hightower's spot is pretty safe overall. I don't think that the coaches will really give the youngsters a shot at really grabbing the spot from him. I think he's just the type of guy we want on the team. He may not get bulk second member committee type carries by the end of the year, but I dont think he has to fear for his spot...especially with Bibbs a complete no show this off season. 

3 minutes ago, ninerfanwheelz said:

I think this is a fair analysis. Right now we are simply outmatched with personnel. We're going to need an almost complete offensive overhaul and defensive backfield overhaul. So I think we're still 2 to 3 years out from being competitive.

I didn't think we were overmatched personnel wise today tbh. Talent for talent it was actually fairly close. Difference was all the sloppy turnovers. But no doubt this team has a lot of flaws which is expected from a team that won two games last year.

Archived