Week 13: VIKINGS (6-4-1) at Patriots (8-3)

swede700

12 hours ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Dtc6sxdU8AUhRjo.jpg

Absolutely mind-boggling. 

JDF sucks.

That's  "Chilly-esque".  Reminiscent of the days when AD would rush for 100 yard in the first half and then hardly see the ball at all in the second half.  Cook looked great yesterday, and he should have gotten more touches than he did.

It's amazing how quick people go from hating on cook too demanding he get more carries (I might be exaggerating a bit)

I've mostly given jdf the benefit of the doubt because of the struggling o-line. I didn't really blame him for abandoning the run. Cook was having a great game yesterday and for him to only get 3 carries in the 2nd half is inexcusable though

1 minute ago, vikesfan89 said:

It's amazing how quick people go from hating on cook too demanding he get more carries (I might be exaggerating a bit)

I've mostly given jdf the benefit of the doubt because of the struggling o-line. I didn't really blame him for abandoning the run. Cook was having a great game yesterday and for him to only get 3 carries in the 2nd half is inexcusable though

If he's got the hot hand, go with it. The game last week has not been typical for Cook this year however.

The Vikings' severely flawed offensive line keeps them from being competitive with The NFl's Top 8 teams, and will be their Achilles' heel until they improve i substantially.  Cousins' giant salary is wasted, and a drag on the team's ability to improve significantly, until it is upgraded substantially.  It was horrible as an almost 60 year Vikings' fan, to watch this game.

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings had a clean pocket on 33 of 46 passing plays, and the running backs averaged over 7 yards per carry. 

Not really sure that the “bad offensive line” narrative comes in to play for this game. 

They were playing the 25th ranked defense in the league and still got beaten in the trenches.  If the Vikings hadn't gone to a quick passing attack, the line would have given up 3 or 4 more sacks.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

If the Vikings hadn't gone to a quick passing attack, the line would have given up 3 or 4 more sacks.

Thing is they never “really” went to a quick passing attack. Many routes were still midfield routes, and some developing routes. He was just forced to do some of these quick releases because of blitzing pressures and the looks the patriots defense gave. Wasn’t a lot of actually slants, digs, and crossing routes with picks used. JDF constantly tried to just force the ball downfield and run short screens to the running backs

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

JDF constantly tried to just force the ball downfield 

I watched the game...When did that happen?  I was wishing that Cousins would have tried to force the ball downfield a little more.  I think it was more of a case of Checkdown Cousins this game than it was necessarily all of JDF's play-calling.  I think Kirk was kind of tentative at trying to force the ball downfield.  I understand that both Diggs and Thielen were bracketed a lot, but then there had to be situations where there were guys 5-10 yds downfield that he just didn't throw the ball to...and checked it down to a RB.  

7 hours ago, Robb_K said:

The Vikings' severely flawed offensive line keeps them from being competitive with The NFl's Top 8 teams, and will be their Achilles' heel until they improve i substantially.  Cousins' giant salary is wasted, and a drag on the team's ability to improve significantly, until it is upgraded substantially.  It was horrible as an almost 60 year Vikings' fan, to watch this game.

Cousins salary doesn't impact the ability to draft OL well going forward. They just need to hit the right picks. Draft OL early and often and use FA money for the defense. That's the best we can do for 2019. 

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I watched the game...When did that happen?  I was wishing that Cousins would have tried to force the ball downfield a little more.  I think it was more of a case of Checkdown Cousins this game than it was necessarily all of JDF's play-calling.  I think Kirk was kind of tentative at trying to force the ball downfield.  I understand that both Diggs and Thielen were bracketed a lot, but then there had to be situations where there were guys 5-10 yds downfield that he just didn't throw the ball to...and checked it down to a RB.  

It's games like this that show Cousins just isn't a top 10 QB and never should have been paid as one. I hope MN seriously considers drafting a QB come 2020 or 2021 to avoid his bloated salary in a few years.

10 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

It's games like this that show Cousins just isn't a top 10 QB and never should have been paid as one. I hope MN seriously considers drafting a QB come 2020 or 2021 to avoid his bloated salary in a few years.

And it’s games like the one against Green Bay that shows he is a top 10 QB. 

Cousins may not be a top 5 QB. But when talking about the QBs who are in the discussion as top 10, Cousins is in the thick of that group. 

44 minutes ago, swede700 said:

It was frustrating as hell when he has plenty of time and would check it down after looking down field but isn't that what we wanted after he threw a couple bad interceptions? Take what the defense gives him

51 minutes ago, swede700 said:

JDF tried. The designed routes on a lot of them plays were to wait for the receiver to become open. 

We got Cousins to look to make those bigger 10-15 yard chunks. There were plenty of those 5-8 yard pass plays that became open but he was consistently asked to look down the field and it wasn’t working. When those shorter passes were open he still had his read on the deeper route to become open. After it wasn’t he was forced to go to the checkdown. 

Watching back the Patriots did exactly what we tried to do to the Patriots, and failed to do for the most part, but the biggest problem the Vikings defense had was Tom Brady had so much more T.O.P. To work with and eventually had the chance to make some plays. 

This was almost a replica of the Rams game. Patriots offense just isn’t quite as explosive to do as much with it. 

Archived