Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
brownie man

Dwayne Haskins

Where will Haskins be drafted if he comes out?  

46 members have voted

  1. 1. Where will he be drafted?

    • Number 1 pick overall
      6
    • Top 16
      21
    • First Round
      11
    • 2nd Round
      4
    • Later
      4


Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The question is how much that flatters Haskins, and how well he'll adjust to a different situation with less margin built in, tougher throws, tighter windows, less "free" yac yards, etc.

How he operates in a collapsing pocket is more of an issue than what you stated, he has accuracy and a big arm, margins and tight windows aren't going to be an issue with him

Edited by MSURacerDT55

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He should stay in school for another season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Danger said:

He should stay in school for another season.

Everyone agrees on that but I doubt it happens.  He's probably going in the top 10 so if a team understands that he needs 2 years of development, one that he would've gotten in college and one that should've been his rookie season, Haskins has the tools to be a top QB in the NFL.  He could also be the next Mark Sanchez and flame out early on in his career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Raves said:

Everyone agrees on that but I doubt it happens.  He's probably going in the top 10 so if a team understands that he needs 2 years of development, one that he would've gotten in college and one that should've been his rookie season, Haskins has the tools to be a top QB in the NFL.  He could also be the next Mark Sanchez and flame out early on in his career.

Agreed, as a OSU fan I want him to go pursue his dream and get higher level tutelage. Strike while he's hot, plus I don't wasn't to waste another year of Tater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Raves said:

Everyone agrees on that but I doubt it happens.  He's probably going in the top 10 so if a team understands that he needs 2 years of development, one that he would've gotten in college and one that should've been his rookie season, Haskins has the tools to be a top QB in the NFL.  He could also be the next Mark Sanchez and flame out early on in his career.

I agree on both counts ceiling & floor wise but man that specter of his floor makes it tough to project him comfortably in the top 10 draft wise (easier  to project if Herbert stays).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Agreed, as a OSU fan I want him to go pursue his dream and get higher level tutelage. Strike while he's hot, plus I don't wasn't to waste another year of Tater

As an OSU fan I really hope that Haskins comes back lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's proven enough and has all the physical tools. Time to get some NFL coaching, practices, learn the offense, and maybe get some mop-up duty in 2019.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

I agree on both counts ceiling & floor wise but man that specter of his floor makes it tough to project him comfortably in the top 10 draft wise (easier  to project if Herbert stays).  

Well the problem is, with his ceiling of being a true franchise QB top tier QB, how many other QBs in the 2019 draft do you feel have that same potential.  I see a lot of guys that you would be ok with starting for your team, but not many "That is my guy that I will ride or die with" types.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Raves said:

Well the problem is, with his ceiling of being a true franchise QB top tier QB, how many other QBs in the 2019 draft do you feel have that same potential.  I see a lot of guys that you would be ok with starting for your team, but not many "That is my guy that I will ride or die with" types.

The only team we know for sure in top 10 though is NYG who will go QB.  Oak having 3 picks makes it possible they wait until mid round 1 (moving up it need be) or even waiting until 2020.   If they get a top 3 pick it’s way more likely they get the elite EDGE knowing they can get QB later in Rd1.  Or even tank for Tua.   The other teams who would think QB aren’t at all locks to pick top 10.  

Herbert vs. Haskins influences draft slot in a huge way.   I’m not as high on Herbert after a very lackluster Oct-Nov where he should have progressed and dominated more games.   But he’s still very well thought of.  

Haskins could go QB1.  Or he could go QB2-3 if the team likes another guy as safer and better fit because of that risk.   It’s way easier for him to project as top 10 if Herbert stays in school.  If he declares though it’s a real wide range of outcomes at this stage, although Rd1 a lock for sure for the reasons you cited.  

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The only team we know for sure in top 10 though is NYG who will go QB.  Oak having 3 picks makes it possible they wait until mid round 1 (moving up it need be) or even waiting until 2020.   The other teams aren’t at all locks to go top 10.  

Herbert vs. Haskins influences draft slot in a huge way.   I’m not as high on Herbert after a very lackluster Oct-Nov where he should have progressed and dominated more games.   But he’s still very well thought of.  

Haskins could go QB1.  Or he could go QB2-3 if the team likes another guy as safer and better fit because of that risk.   It’s way easier for him to project as top 10 if Herbert stays in school.  If he declares though it’s a real wide range of outcomes at this stage, although Rd1 a lock for sure for the reasons you cited.  

If he declares and he somehow starts falling past #15, I hope the Saints do whatever it takes to trade into the 1st and take him.  Having him behind that OL, the weapons they have, the tutelage and offense with the Saints, that would be dirty for a long time to come.  Give up their 2nd, 2020 1st & 3, and 2021 1st.  They have enough young talent that they don't really need to sign more as they got guys that need to be getting paid anyways, but having Haskins to sit and learn from Brees and Payton for a year would more than makeup for the year he missed in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Raves said:

If he declares and he somehow starts falling past #15, I hope the Saints do whatever it takes to trade into the 1st and take him.  Having him behind that OL, the weapons they have, the tutelage and offense with the Saints, that would be dirty for a long time to come.  Give up their 2nd, 2020 1st & 3, and 2021 1st.  They have enough young talent that they don't really need to sign more as they got guys that need to be getting paid anyways, but having Haskins to sit and learn from Brees and Payton for a year would more than makeup for the year he missed in college.

The part about his risk is why he’s a no brainer as a developmental QB.    I agree that I don’t see him falling past 20 because of that once the elite defenders are gone (and teams like WAS / MIA / JAX and yes even DEN will likely be picking in the teens to 20 range).   That also however brings the draw of waiting a year and being a top 5 pick in 2020 if he plays well (Tua or not we’d likely see a repeat of 2018 QB wise in going really early).   

It will be fascinating to see what happens with Haskins and the 2019 draft because of all the wide variation in draft landing slot outcomes.   

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the year for Haskins to go. He's a top 15 pick this year. There's no telling where he'll go next year.

Haskins is a high ceiling, low floor prospect with inherent risks. There isn't a lot of tape of him throwing into tight windows in the intermediate range. OSU schemes their concepts very well and they have guys running open. What I like from Haskins is how he scans the field and places the football in the right spot routinely. He doesn't just make the completion, but he hits the WR in a spot where they can RAC. On underneath routes he's extremely precise. He tears zones up on the intermediate stuff. And he throws a very pretty deep ball. He's big, he's more athletic than people think (he's not fast tho), and he's got a very strong arm. He has a ton of tools, but hasn't had a lot of experience. He's going to go through growing pains just like Trubisky did (1 year wonder), but I guarantee you someone bets on his potential in the top half of the NFL draft. He's too talented to slide very far, especially in a year where the QB's aren't that desirable. The teams that need a QB most are some of the teams that already have established starters. The Steelers, Patriots, etc.... Because of this, Haskins is a GREAT fit for one of these teams where he can sit and refine his tools before being the man.

I think sitting is overrated for some QB's, but Haskins is a guy that will need to be sprinkled in. You can tell he's raw, but he's got excellent tools and is worth a gamble if you need a signal caller. To the people calling him "barely a QB," may God have mercy on your soul. He's not an elite QB prospect, but it's a joke that some believe he's straight up terrible. I don't know where that comes from, but it sure as hell isn't watching the tape.

 

I like the Jameis Winston comparison somebody made. Winston played in a pro style scheme at FSU which no doubt helped him adjust, but their skill sets and athletic traits are similar. Haskins just hasn't had nearly the same amount of reps as Winston had in college. He's raw, but he isn't making the typical mistakes a very raw QB makes. At least not in college. And for those crucifying him for having such a talented group around him....get real! A QB doesn't get bailed out by having great WR's or else JT Barrett wouldn't have been an abortion last year. He's just good and I have yet to see a real argument as to why he's "barely a QB," like some people have hilariously alluded to. @Hunter2_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After this year he's probably a top 12-16 draft pick based on an unbiased draft board, however, QB's always rise, and Haskins will likely have a phenomenal pro day with his arm talent.  He's a mid 1st rd prospect that will go top 5, and maybe even #1 because QB's go high.  I'd love for the Bengals to get him and sit him a year behind Dalton like they did with Palmer/Kitna, but I don't think they'll draft high enough.  He'd be better prepared if he came out after next season with 2 full years of experience, but realistically, this year is probably best for his draft stock.  As a Bucks fan i'd love to see him back with the WR turnover we're about to have to give more opportunity to guys like Olave and incoming Garrett Wilson, but I don't expect it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

I have yet to see a real argument as to why he's "barely a QB," like some people have hilariously alluded to. @Hunter2_1

Been thinking about this all week haven't you. Are you going to shoot him if he doesn't meet your expectations?

Some needy team will reach on him, and pray that lives up to hype like yours. Good college QB, in a great environment, but will be shocked in the NFL, imo.

Edited by Hunter2_1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Been thinking about this all week haven't you. Are you going to shoot him if he doesn't meet your expectations?

Some needy team will reach on him, and pray that lives up to hype like yours. Good college QB, in a great environment, but will be shocked in the NFL, imo.

Again there is no analysis here. You’re playing a hunch. I can’t respect that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×