How to improve the 49ers in the 2019 offseason

Geek

On 11/27/2018 at 10:14 PM, DirtyJersey9er said:

DO NOT panic and go for a big name just for the sake of a big name.

I suppose this depends on what you mean. I want players, and I want big time players. If you mean big names who aren't actually very good, I would agree with you. So like, you can consider Kelvin Benjamin a "big name" maybe, or someone like Clay Matthews, but neither of them is all that great actually on the field (though I think it was MM who threw out the idea of Clay Matthews being brought in to play SAM, which is kind of intriguing, though I think given how little we play our SAM, that wouldn't be the greatest use of monetary assets given the contract he is most likely to get).  

At this point though, as I said in another post, I don't want to be paying a dime for nickel free agents just because we think that they fit our scheme. Go out there and just get the best possible players you can. Pay a dollar for a dollar free agent. 

Move Thomas to the inside.  He strikes me as a Justin Smith type where his best work is in the interior for a 4-3(sure sure this 4-3 has elements of a 3-4 but he strikes me more as a DT.) But he can definitely add some more weight and be close to the size Brandon Mebane was in 2013.

Agreed. I don't mind him on the ends on run downs. Having him on the interior for run downs would make us a little undersized, so I at least get having him on the edge for those as he holds an edge well and you'd probably want a more prototypical NT to eat up space in the middle. That being said, teams are throwing more on first downs then ever, so I don't really know if there are passing and running situations besides the blatantly obvious 3rd and long. He should definitely be on the inside far more than he is on the outside. Let him and Buck just shred the interior. 

get FA help at Safety.  I know people are hoping for Earl Thomas but any kind of veteran stability would be nice here.

Agreed that we need the safety help, and I'm full on the Earl Thomas bandwagon. I think the likelihood that we can get him is probably somewhat small (I think that there are places like Dallas that he actively wants to play, and they can afford to give the money he probably wants). I'm willing to throw out 5 years to ET and a good AAV. Great safeties can age very well (see the Woodson boys), so I'm not all that concerned about his overall level of play cratering during that contract. Will he be as good in year 5 as he is in year 1/2? Yeah, probably not. But I don't think he'll be a liability at that point either. If we can't get ET, Joyner and HaHa are free agents. Neither is having an ideal contract year, but both have a lot of talent and have at least been pretty good this year at times. Not like they have been complete busts. 

sign the best edge rusher who will say yes to us.  IDC who just add some.  If you want to copycat Seattle you need pass rushers.  The 2013 off-season they signed Cliff Avril AND Michael Bennett to add to their pass rush.  This was with them already having Chris Clemons at DR.  Most of us thought they overpaid Bennett and Avril as well.  But it gave them a deep and deadly pass rush.  And while the talent was there in the secondary there is a lot a great pass rush can do for a secondary.

Agreed. I'm on the sign + draft one bandwagon. 

- sign a guard so we can end the shuffling on the interior o-line.

Not really sure what you mean here. We haven't really shuffled the interior line unless it's been injury related. Tomlinson / Person / Richburg are locked in as the starters. That being said, Person is a FA, so he will either need to be replaced or re-signed. But that's about it. Otherwise that line is set. Maybe there is shuffling in the depth positions, but nothing from the starters (and I'm of the opinion that we will probably re-sign Person).

sign some CB depth.

- assuming we pick 1 and unless we get an insane trade package RUN to the podium and select Nick Bosa.  Even if we sign multiple pass rushers just do it.  Even if for some reason Demarcus Lawrence becomes available still take Bosa.

- Use a 2nd Rounder on a bbwr(big bodied wr) to be a red zone target and a Corner who has size and can play press.  We have Sherman for a few more seasons.... might as well get someone he can mentor.

Pretty much agree with all of this. Just write Bosa's name on the card the night before. I'd listen to offers, of course, but it would have to be something considerable for me to give him up. 2nd round is a really good spot for this receiver class in my opinion.

I'd like to see Marsh get full offseason reps for SAM backer, along with prioritizing the effort of getting that LEO solved. One vet FA and one higher draft pick for that. Definitely have a plan B in mind for SAM somewhere else, of course.

Marsh has the movement skills, and pro exp to do well at that spot. (saw him on that wheel route from Saquon? B| )

He's got two pass rush moves. Run fast around the edge/QB, and stunt inside to make a minor dent in the pocket. Just doesn't have the bulk and power to make the desired impact going INside. He can hold up enough as the SAM, and get around the other edge.. I think. 

16 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I'd like to see Marsh get full offseason reps for SAM backer, along with prioritizing the effort of getting that LEO solved. One vet FA and one higher draft pick for that. Definitely have a plan B in mind for SAM somewhere else, of course.

Marsh has the movement skills, and pro exp to do well at that spot. (saw him on that wheel route from Saquon? B| )

He's got two pass rush moves. Run fast around the edge/QB, and stunt inside to make a minor dent in the pocket. Just doesn't have the bulk and power to make the desired impact going INside. He can hold up enough as the SAM, and get around the other edge.. I think. 

Well he was the back-up@SAM when he was in Seattle so it's not like there isn't tape on him there. But I don't remember him being that impressive as a OLB. I expected Warner to be the SAM but he's been such a pleasant surprise@MIKE it would take a real talent there to move him outside....like a Jordan Hicks, who happens to be on my off-season wish list. Hicks@MIKE and Warner@SAM would be great duo IMO.

One SAM vet that (I believe it was) Barrows has floated around a few times is Clay Matthews. Obviously not what he once was, but to bring a veteran presence to that level (linebackers) who could also still provide more than what we currently have is something I support, price depending of course. I want to solve some issues in free agency and this is one I think would work. Use the draft for EDGE, WR, and either DB or WILL in the first 3 rounds. 

57 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

One SAM vet that (I believe it was) Barrows has floated around a few times is Clay Matthews. Obviously not what he once was, but to bring a veteran presence to that level (linebackers) who could also still provide more than what we currently have is something I support, price depending of course. I want to solve some issues in free agency and this is one I think would work. Use the draft for EDGE, WR, and either DB or WILL in the first 3 rounds. 

I could definitely get on board with Matthews for the right price...

I saw that Richard Sherman mentioned he would probably until he's 35, with a likely switch to safety at some point. So it made me wonder... what if that switched happened next year? That would require us getting another CB, ideally a pretty good FA (are there going to be any?). But imagine Sherman back there, directing Colbert and keeping him in check. That would be pretty great. Getting an Earl Thomas would be even better, but I feel like Sherman at safety could be pretty interesting. If not next year, maybe in 2020. We use him one more year at CB, we draft a CB, one or both of rookie and Spoon take a step forward, then in 2020, Sherm slides back and the two young guys man the outside spots. Maybe by then, DJ Reed has lived up to the hopes we had for him last offseason. Tartt is either gone or plays a hybrid LB role (I'd rather have him there than Malcolm Smith). Marcell Harris is a back-up, and we'll probably have drafted or signed other players to back up by then. Of course, by then we already have a 12+ sacks edge guy, obviously. Warner is a probowler, and Buck is a defensive player of the year candidate. And on the other side of the ball, Jimmy's contract already looks like a bargain, and the media are discussing Kyle's record breaking contract extension. Not getting carried away.... 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I saw that Richard Sherman mentioned he would probably until he's 35, with a likely switch to safety at some point. So it made me wonder... what if that switched happened next year? That would require us getting another CB, ideally a pretty good FA (are there going to be any?). But imagine Sherman back there, directing Colbert and keeping him in check. That would be pretty great. Getting an Earl Thomas would be even better, but I feel like Sherman at safety could be pretty interesting. If not next year, maybe in 2020. We use him one more year at CB, we draft a CB, one or both of rookie and Spoon take a step forward, then in 2020, Sherm slides back and the two young guys man the outside spots. Maybe by then, DJ Reed has lived up to the hopes we had for him last offseason. Tartt is either gone or plays a hybrid LB role (I'd rather have him there than Malcolm Smith). Marcell Harris is a back-up, and we'll probably have drafted or signed other players to back up by then. Of course, by then we already have a 12+ sacks edge guy, obviously. Warner is a probowler, and Buck is a defensive player of the year candidate. And on the other side of the ball, Jimmy's contract already looks like a bargain, and the media are discussing Kyle's record breaking contract extension. Not getting carried away.... 

I like that he has the self awareness and lacks the ego that would stop him from doing so, but really has no impact on my short term plans. We need secondary help, corner and safety. Just get players, shuffle it out when you do so. There's no telling if Sherman would even be a competent safety, so I'm not banking on it. Get the players first, sort the rest out as you go along. If it benefits the team to move him to safety at a certain point, do it. If not, keep him at corner. Either way, it really shouldn't change the way we maneuver the off season. 

• 2 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just realized Joyner is a FA. If he miss out on Thomas, I'd love to go after him. A flat out stud with great range. 

Yeah the FS and edge class can be pretty good depending on franchise tags and resignings which for us is pretty good looking at what our biggest needs are.

I have watched a little bit of the 49ers this week in prep for the Bears game and if you would like an outsider's perspective this is what I would do.

1. DL, from what I can see the DL, which is the heart of this type of defense, is Buckner fighting a triple team and Blair making some plays.

-Sign: Dante Fowler [4 years 44 million/24 guaranteed] you are over paying but he knows the defense and can play the LEO role.

-Draft: 1st round DE Clelin Ferrell, you have probably played out of the Bosa spot, but Ferrill as the base end gives you 2 more pass rushers than you have now.

2. CB, 2 interceptions and a ton of intermediate completions is not what a secondary wants to do.

-Sign: The free agent CB market is not good and has a ton of ugly over pay guys in it.

-Draft: 2nd round CB Bryce Hall [Virginia] 

3. WR, Goodwin and Pettis are a nice 2-3 combo, but the 49ers lack size and someone who can be a red zone presence and a 3rd down slant/hook option.

Sign: Tyrell Williams [4 years 36 million/18 guaranteed] 6'4" with the speed and route running to still execute all parts of the offense.

Draft: Day 3 developmental big bodied backup.

4. OG, I think they could use an upgrade here, but the Shannahan's have never been big investors in the interior OL with the amount of zone and play action that they run.

Sign: No one

Draft: 3rd round Garrett Bradbury [NC State]

5. LB, I think that Warner is a building block guy and he needs some running mates.

Sign: KJ Wright [3 years 24 million/8 guaranteed] really a 1 year deal to see if he can get healthy.

Draft: 4th round Troy Dye [Oregon] he can run and play the Will spot.

*I keep Mullins, how can you trust Jimmy G to be healthy. It is not worth a 3rd or 4th round pick to expose yourself to another injury with little to no answer at QB.

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just realized Joyner is a FA. If we miss out on Thomas, I'd love to go after him. A flat out stud with great range. 

He's a guy I mentioned in the past, but having talked to some Rams fans, they say that he has been pretty abysmal this year. Not a major issue, since maybe that just means we'd get him cheaper. I'd be interested. 

54 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I have watched a little bit of the 49ers this week in prep for the Bears game and if you would like an outsider's perspective this is what I would do.

1. DL, from what I can see the DL, which is the heart of this type of defense, is Buckner fighting a triple team and Blair making some plays.

-Sign: Dante Fowler [4 years 44 million/24 guaranteed] you are over paying but he knows the defense and can play the LEO role.

-Draft: 1st round DE Clelin Ferrell, you have probably played out of the Bosa spot, but Ferrill as the base end gives you 2 more pass rushers than you have now.

2. CB, 2 interceptions and a ton of intermediate completions is not what a secondary wants to do.

-Sign: The free agent CB market is not good and has a ton of ugly over pay guys in it.

3. WR, Goodwin and Pettis are a nice 2-3 combo, but the 49ers lack size and someone who can be a red zone presence and a 3rd down slant/hook option.

Sign: Tyrell Williams [4 years 36 million/18 guaranteed] 6'4" with the speed and route running to still execute all parts of the offense.

4. OG, I think they could use an upgrade here, but the Shannahan's have never been big investors in the interior OL with the amount of zone and play action that they run.

5. LB, I think that Warner is a building block guy and he needs some running mates.

Sign: KJ Wright [3 years 24 million/8 guaranteed] really a 1 year deal to see if he can get healthy.

*I keep Mullins, how can you trust Jimmy G to be healthy. It is not worth a 3rd or 4th round pick to expose yourself to another injury with little to no answer at QB.

Pretty good, particularly for a non - 49ers fan. I have some quibbles about the players, but I largely agree with the thought process as a whole. 

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's a guy I mentioned in the past, but having talked to some Rams fans, they say that he has been pretty abysmal this year. Not a major issue, since maybe that just means we'd get him cheaper. I'd be interested. 

I don't think he will come cheap, but the safety market has been fairly questionable the last few years. He was just so good last year but mostly everyone on the Rams defense seems to be under-performing. 

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Other than the 2nd round corner, I think this is pretty stellar (although like @Forge, I would prefer other players, but would be good with yours, too). 

The CB position is not likely where we will need help. The FS is the spot where we need the improvement in ballhawking. We have two second day corners from the last two drafts that I would rather run with, and maybe sign a cheap vet for competition. An improved pass rush and a guy over top will help the corners we have tremendously. 

Archived